Notify or do something when an appliance like a dishwasher or washing machine finishes

To irgnore the wrinkle protection at the end of our dryer programm I would like to set the threshold to 200 watts. Is there an easy way to do that?
I tried to overwrite the maximum 100 w in yaml but the parameter is now beeing displayed with a red underline in the visual editor. That looks like some kind of malfunction to me.

Can you add an option to use conditions for the actions? In the evenings I would prefer a notification on my phone but during daytime I would also like speakers to notify.

1 Like

Hi @Sbyx, nice automation, thanks! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m thinking of an extension to also notify the power consumption of the appliance.

So far I have the below snippet, drawback is that it requires two helper variables per appliance. Is there a way to use automation variables? If so, what service can address these?

action:
  - service: input_number.set_value
    data:
      value: '{{ states(''sensor.power_consumption_today_washer'') }}'
    target:
      entity_id: input_number.washingmachine_usage1
  [...]
  - service: input_number.set_value
    data:
      value: '{{ states(''sensor.power_consumption_today_washer'') }}'
    target:
      entity_id: input_number.washingmachine_usage2
  - service: notify.notify
    data:
      message: "Used {{ states('input_number.washingmachine_usage1') | float - states('input_number.washingmachine_usage2') | float }}{{state_attr('sensor.power_consumption_today_washer', 'unit_of_measurement')}}"

Hi, I just had the same use case and Iā€™ve found this: Adding conditions to blueprint based automation - #2 by 123

I need to test it out myself.

Iā€™ve tried adding conditions to the automation but it didnā€™t work.

Hello,
would it be possible to modify this blueprint to track the status of a washing machine?
Knowing that it is on above a certain power, that it is in operation if the power is in a certain range and that it has finished when it falls below a certain level.
Or need to be three different automation in conjunction of a state variable?
Thank you

It already does that.

Not really, I can only do action when appliance has finished, not tracking when is active and running.
Or Iā€™m wrong?

@e-raser did you solve this problem? I got the same issue like you

Nope, unfortunately not. I fear thereĀ“s no solution on the blueprint/automation level as itĀ“s some core Home Assistant ā€œissueā€ in my opinion.

I still try to deal with it because of lack of time to further investigate or bring it on the HA core dev teamā€™s table. For my most important use cases I created additional ā€œfailsafeā€ automations (which serve as backup for automations based on this blueprint) - which is kind of silly of course but the only quickā€™nā€™dirty workaround that came to my mind.

Maybe @Sbyx has an idea or would like to share his two cents on this.

@e-raser aha gotcha, so as far as I understood if you ran this as normal automation without blueprint it will work normally?

No, the ā€œissueā€ is within automations. DoesnĀ“t matter if theyĀ“re blueprint based or individual ones.
My failsafe automations basically do the same things but based on simpler inputs so they have some downsides.

@Sbyx can I (humbly) offer an improvement:
The ability to trigger actions on both start AND finish of the appliance:

blueprint:
  name: Appliance monitor
  input:
... # all inputs are the same except for the last one
    actions_on:
      name: Action(s) when starting
      default: []
      selector:
        action: {}
    actions_off:
      name: Action(s) when finishing
      default: []
      selector:
        action: {}
action:
- choose: []
  default: !input 'actions_on'
- wait_for_trigger:
  - platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: !input 'power_sensor'
    below: !input 'finishing_threshold'
    for:
      minutes: !input 'finishing_hysteresis'
- choose: []
  default: !input 'actions_off'
2 Likes

Thank you. I was able to easily adapt this blueprint to send a notification when my dehumidifier tank needs to be checked because it might be full. The dehumidifier is connected to a Zooz ZEN15 power switch, and itā€™s automated to turn on and off with humidity changes based on a Zooz ZSE40. The power consumption drops below 1 watt when the tank is full.

UPDATE: this blueprint automation was sending the notifications, but every time the dehumidifier was shut off, regardless if the dehumidifier shut itself off or the power switch shut off because the proper humidity level had been reached. So, while it is useful, for me the automation was generating false notifications because the tank wasnā€™t full yet. This automation required a condition to check for the state of the power switch, where if the power switch was still on, but the wattage had dropped below 1 watt, then the tank was probably full and the dehumidifier had shut itself off.

Hi all,

I have several appliances that I would like to be notified of when they are ready, for example the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer.

Now I have used this blueprint to realize this, however I have a problem:

I can trigger all this equipment if the consumption exceeds a certain wattage, only all equipment has several of these peaks, see for example the screenshot below of my dishwasher.

How can I ensure that I receive a notification when it is actually ready (around 19:36) and not after the first peak (around 18:37).

Hope there is a solution :slight_smile:

Grtz
Edwin

Perhaps by setting a lower finish threshold.

Thatā€™s not the solution because between the 2 peaks itā€™s dropping to almost 0 as well.

Yeah but not for longer than X minutes according to your screenshot.

Thatā€™s true, i can set the time to be longer as 5 minutes for example.

Hi all,

Iā€™m quite new with hassio and need a bit of help.

Today I started experimenting with blueprints and this one isnā€™t working for me, I donā€™t get any TTS output when I hit Run Actions. Another blueprint with TTS output (Low battery level detection & notification for all battery sensors) is working fine so I guess the TTS is configured correct.

This is my actions part:

When I switch to YAML, this is the not working code:

yaml1

And this code of another automations is working properly:

yaml2

Can anyone tell me what Iā€™m doing wrong? Thanks!