Notify or do something when an appliance like a dishwasher or washing machine finishes

Your original rule had two triggers; one for the acceleration going on and one for acceleration going off. Either one would trigger the rule. You only had one notify action. So you would have gotten notified when the acceleration went on (machine start) and off (machine stop).

The new rule looks better, but you don’t the need the “and” in the conditions.

Hmm it appears to be working, but getting some false positives when it sits for longer than 5 minutes, any suggestions for adding don’t notify until at least 30 minutes after first detecting movement? I feel like that would help.

I suppose increasing the no vibration timer over 5 minutes would help.

You’ll need to review the history for the entity through a wash cycle to see what your thresholds should be. I don’t use an acceleration sensor so I’m no help here.

I use this for my washing machine and it’s excellent! However, my dish washer is causing me problems: it always ends with a drying cycle which uses the same electricity as when it’s idle, then a brief run of the pump and back to idle, so I cannot use going to that idle power threshold for the finish event (since it will be triggered on the drying cycle, not at the end). Any ideas how to modify this automation for my use case?

If it helps I’ve attached the graph:

If the drying cycle is the same length of time, every time, then just set a time delay before the notification.

2 Likes

Occam’s automation in action.

1 Like

Hi, fantastic blueprint. Just imported but get the error message Message malformed: Missing input pre_actions. Running on 2023.11
I have seen in the comments that this happened before. Anybody knows a fix? Would love to start using it.

3 Likes

Nobody has an idea??? Would be great ti get it to work. Thanks!!!

Did you add something to the second action box?

Hi, I find the answer here : https://gist.github.com/sbyx/6d8344d3575c9865657ac51915684696
“For those getting, ‘Message malformed: Missing input pre_actions’, add a wait time of 1 second into, ‘Actions when starting threshhold is crossed’ section at the bottom and it’ll be saveable.”

You can also delete this action directly after the creation.

The action really needs to be “optional”. Requiring an input just doesn’t make sense.

Hello, is it possible to add a second trigger at the end? Our dishwasher goes sometimes to zero watts in-between. I want to trigger if it does it the second time. Extending the hysteresis is not ideal as I get notified late after it really finishes.

Maybe add a “wait for trigger” including “continue on timeout” at the start of your actions?