Occupancy - An unusual automation question

I’ve found what the problem was :flushed:
The code was spot on, what I hadn’t counted on was my anal retentive method of keeping a commented version below the version I was working on so I could play and then go back to the original
The first # was the same spacing as the template and the config reads it as a continuation.
The code is now up and running as : -

binary_sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      bs_pifi01_on:
        entity_id: sensor.time, input_boolean.ib_switch_pifi01_on, input_boolean.ib_switch_pifi01_timer_enable, input_boolean.ib_switch_pifi01_timeslot1_enable, input_boolean.ib_switch_pifi01_timeslot2_enable
        friendly_name: Pi-Fi-01 Requested On
        value_template: >
          {% set time = states('sensor.time') %}
          {% set occd =  is_state('binary_sensor.bs_occupied', 'on') %}
          {% set manon = is_state('input_boolean.ib_switch_pifi01_on', 'on') %}
          {% set slt1en = is_state('input_boolean.ib_switch_pifi01_timeslot1_enable', 'on') %}
          {% set slt1start = states('input_datetime.id_switch_pifi01_tmeslt1_on') [0:5] %}
          {% set slt1stop = states('input_datetime.id_switch_pifi01_tmeslt1_off') [0:5] %}
          {% set slt2en = is_state('input_boolean.ib_switch_pifi01_timeslot2_enable', 'on') %}
          {% set slt2start = states('input_datetime.id_switch_pifi01_tmeslt2_on') [0:5] %}
          {% set slt2stop = states('input_datetime.id_switch_pifi01_tmeslt2_off') [0:5] %}
          {% set slt1on = (slt1start <= time < slt1stop) if (slt1start < slt1stop) else (slt1start <= time or time < slt1stop) %}
          {% set slt2on = (slt2start <= time < slt2stop) if (slt2start < slt2stop) else (slt2start <= time or time < slt2stop) %}
          {{ occd and (manon or (slt1on and slt1en) or (slt2on and slt2en)) }}

I’ll continue with the other formats and report back anyway
Thanks to all

Edit: Petro gave me the clue, I tried to start simple and just put {{ not false }}, it came back with same error.