Octopus Energy Agile Tariff

I had a quick look around at this too and didn’t manage to find much. I also couldn’t work out why it was being represented as a string. I checked the code and there is no obvious reason, just before it is returned, it’s a number. If you work out what is needed let me know.

At this point I think we need the help of some of the Energy dev.

So your integration is returning a number for that sensor? it is strange indeed that it shows up as a string in the dev tools/template.

Have you got unit_of_measurement: GBP/kWh attribute?

yes it is. I triple check the spelling several time :slight_smile:

Just before it sets the value it does a round so about as much of a number as python gets I think?

current_rate = round(current_rate, 2)
self._state = current_rate

I did Phil… do you need any more information?
I haven’t heard anything back from you…

Strange indeed but you confirm that once out of your code it is no longer a number but a string?
Or is just for me that it is the case?

Yes, using your template it also shows as being a string, very odd

This might actually not be a problem since it still doesn’t work once the str is converted to a float.

I am not sure how to get more help on this issue. Can you actually write a “bug” on the Energy tab? if so where?

I was having a play with this tonight, my power sensors aren’t setup properly yet, but I notice if I set the price manually it’s in EUR/kWh, could this be part of the issue?

I don’t know if this will help or not. I’m on Go Faster, so just have an automation which changes the price twice a day, but it might give some hints:

Also check in the server general configuration, you currency is set to GBP:

So with your sensor it does work @badguy and you see the cost in the Energy tab in the Sources section?

@Markg I do see GBP/kWh if I select fixed price. As badguy says you need to go and change it in the setting of HomeAssistant.

Would it be possible to pull the gas consumption into a sensor which could be fed into the energy tab.

I know it is 24hours behind but would be good enough for me.

Yes, it is working for me - I think the entity needed to be in pounds / kWh rather than pence / kWh, which makes the resolution not as good as it could be, but it seems ok.

Here is my sensor

@ppmt

I have just setup my own sensor which reference @Markg component sensor (sensor.octopus_agile_current_rate) and converts it to GBP/kWh from p/kWh (I think) and should work no matter what octopus tariff you are on

If i am correct I think the dashboard is expecting GBP/kWh but Mark’s component produce p/kWh

Currently on Octopus GO with the override of the agile price enabled and I am on 0.05p & 0.1533p per kWh with octopus

The sensor.octopus_agile_current_rate returns 15.33 p/kWh

My sensor returns 0.1533 GBP/kWh which I think is what the Energy dashboard is expecting

Again, I think it’s in the right format so will see after my reboot and HA Energy dashboard does its first calculation

- platform: template
  sensors:
    octopus_price:
      friendly_name: "Octopus Current Price GBP/kWh"
      value_template: "{{ states('sensor.octopus_agile_current_rate') | float /100 }}"
      unit_of_measurement: GBP/kWh

Here is mine so not much different than yours!

- sensor:
    - name: "Agile_actual_rate"
      unit_of_measurement: "GBP/kWh"
      state: >
        {{ (states.sensor.octopus_agile_current_rate.state|float) / 100 }}

I actually closed my issue on github. I misunderstood how states(sensor) works. It will return a string irrelevant of the real status of the sensor.
The correct way to test for a float is:

{% if float(‘name_sensor’) %}
it will return true or false…

Sorry for the confusion. But it still doesn’t explain why the sensor is not working in the energy tab :slight_smile:

Any luck with your sensor?

Nope. Did yours work?