Octopus Energy - Intelligent Tariff

Agreed, I’m using this alot. I have an automation set up that sets my charger to only use excess Solar when it’s on-peak, and then use normal charging when its off-peak. Works great for my second EV (not on intelligent), and easily allows me to charge solar the intelligent car (just need to ‘Bump’ it in the app).

Thanks @megakid !

Appreciate the kind words. Glad it’s helping others!

I’ve just released v1.6 which adds two new sensors displaying expected timestamps of current/next offpeak start and end.

You can use these in a template to calculate the number of seconds/mins of offpeak left or how long a peak period you have ahead of you.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the work on this!
I’ve got the IO Plugin setup and App notifications for when the Peak/Off-Peak rates change.

How are people tracking the expected cost of IO vs what Octopus bill you for? I want to be sure that I’m not being charged peak rates when I know I’ve charged the car during the additional off-peak windows OI gives during the day.

I use the Utility Meter helper and switch it peak / offpeak based on the Octopus slot sensor. Then you can add both the offpeak and onpeak entities to your Energy dashboard and associate different prices to them.

Thanks! Trying to get my head around how to configure this - how do you fill in the config here?

Supported Tariffs comes back as blank. Input sensor I was going to use the IO On/off binary sensor but it’s not selectable.

I would recommend the following:

Set the input sensor to your usage: this your cumulative total (or cumulative daily) meter usage in kWh

Add two tariffs, one called Peak, one called Off Peak (type them into the box and hit enter for each)

Then you can use an automation to switch between them

Yaml view of my automation (I’ve setup daily, weekly and monthly utility meter helpers):

alias: "[Helper] Switch Peak / Offpeak meter tariffs"
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.octopus_intelligent_slot
condition: []
action:
  - service: select.select_option
    target:
      entity_id:
        - select.daily_electric
        - select.weekly_electric
        - select.monthly_electric
    data:
      option: |
        {{ trigger.to_state.state|bool|iif("Offpeak","Peak") }}
mode: single

Thanks for this!

All working now :+1:t3:

For the automations, I understand that the whole house only gets the cheap rate as long as your car is charging at the same time, and that it’s done in 30 minute increments?
(So if my car stops charging at 9.15am I get cheap electricity until 9.30am)

Is anyone dealing with this somehow?

I thought rather than charging the home battery when the plugin says On/Off, I could instead have a timer that runs every 30 minutes and checks if Octopus is cheap AND car is charging - but would run the risk of missing the first 30 minutes as the car might not be actively charging, so perhaps I should delay the first check by a few minutes

Hi @Pete_Matheson

So I have my battery set to charge whenever the Intelligent Slot is On, regardless of whether the car is charging or not.

An example of why…I may be given a slot of 23.00 - 04.00. However it’s still off-peak until 05.30, regardless of whether the car is charging. Therefore I don’t want it to start discharging till 05.30 when the off-peak finishes.

I have 2 automations set to trigger when the Intelligent slot changes, one with a condition of On and the other with a condition of Off. I then use these to set the necessary configurations on my battery.

This also means I will charge the battery fine during the default 23.00 - 05.30 slot if I don’t charge the car that day (or in my case, if I use that slot to charge our other car - plugin-hybrid)

In summary, for my battery, I care about when it’s off-peak elec, and not what the car is doing.

In addition… because the car only charges during off-peak slots, it means the car will never discharge the battery, as the battery will always be set to charge during those times.

Gotcha.

The issue (or rather benefit!) I’m having is that Octopus is giving me charging slots sometimes from 4pm through to 11am.

Using it as you’ve suggested works fine if it all happens within the 11:30pm - 5:30am window (or nearabouts), but when I’m given a window up until 11am I want to be sure my battery is charging as long as it can. But if my car finishes charging at 9am, then I need the PW to also stop before the end of that 1/2 hour window.

I’ll have to play with some logic to figure something out :slight_smile:

I have set up this integration, no errors reported, and I get all the entities.

However I am not getting any planned dispatches being shown, even though Octopus have been giving slots between 11 and 11.30pm, the car has been charging in this slot and confirmed in my Octopus Bill.

Not sure if it is significant, but the Octopus charging is being done via a Ohme Charger, not the cars API.

Is there something I can check as to why this integration isn’t reporting this off peak slot?

(Note: the slot entity is staying off as well, not sure if this should have come on at 11 as well? It just comes on between 11.30 and 5.30)

@Pete_Matheson

Not sure if I fully understand your issue/scenario…

If you have your battery set to charge whenever the Intelligent Slot is On, regardless of whether the car is charging or not, you will always get it charging (or, if its 100% full, being idle and not discharging) when you are on the off-peak rate.

If you have an off-peak window till 11.00, but unplug the car at 09.00 and the slot finishes, the sensor will change to Off and your battery charge will stop at that point.

The automation can be set to trigger whenever the slot changes, so its not down to a 30min regular check or anything like that. As soon as the integration detects the intelligent slot is off, then the automation will run and the charging will stop.

Apologies if I have missed something in your scenario… very possible!

@Dave888 my understanding is that Octopus only bill you the cheap rate if your car actually charges at the same time.

So there’s a chance that the Intelligent Slot could be On, but the car has finished charging and therefore any electricity would be billed at Peak rates?

The Intelligent Slot will only be on if you are on the cheap rate at that point in time… if the car stops and the slot comes to an end earlier than expected, the sensor will change to off. In summary, the sensor will directly reflect whether you are on cheap or peak electricity.

This is how I use it, to charge my battery, and also during peak times to use it to change my EV charger to use Solar excess only (allowing me to top up if I want or solar charge our hybrid, without risk of using on-peak elec).

Caveat: I’m not 100% sure on the polling interval for the sensor, so in theory they may be a possibility of a short period of it showing On, when infact the slot has finished; however in my experience it is very quick to update and any delay is negligible (I doubt even a couple of pence) - but I’m sure @megakid could confirm.

In reference to the above polling period, as a data point, you can see for my slots over the past 24hours that it is updating within 1 second.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 11.43.34

Yep this does seem to work well!
As soon as I unplugged my car to leave this morning, Octopus then updated my charging slots and Home Assistant stopped everything else charging :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 14.12.06

1 Like

Nice one @Pete_Matheson

I would like to get this set up but have no idea how to. Could anyone help me to set this up ?? Thanks

How are people charging their Tesla Powerwall using Home Assistant?
It seems that you can set the Battery Backup to 100% but then only charges at 1.7kW instead of it’s max charge rate.
Any workarounds?

I’ve read this thread a couple of times and I think from what I understand I could use this integration to make Home Assistant charge (or prevent them discharging when my car is charging) my forthcoming Growatt batteries during variable off peak Octopus Intelligent periods. I’ve seen somewhere else that you can log into the Growatt servers in Home Assistant (?) so I presume controlling the inverter/batteries is fairly straightforward once you have the live OI time data.

Could someone confirm if the above is possible please? I know its all definitely possible for GivEnergy batteries/inverters (from other posts I’ve seen elsewhere) but my installer can do a better price for Growatt stuff so I’d prefer to use those instead…

Without actually having the kit I obviously can’t test, but if its not possible currently then it might influence what kit I buy. Thanks loads.