Octopus Intelligent Energy Integration

I’ve recently moved to the Octopus Intelligent tariff in the UK, which (roughly) gives reduced electricity rates between 11.30pm and 6.30am. (It can also give reduced rates at other times of day.)

I’ve been tracking energy usage from my smart meter using the Geo Home integration, but unfortunately it’s not aware of the reduced price electricity times. Its Electricity Price per kWh stays fixed, and its Electricity kWh Today (which is used in my energy dashboard) appears to come from this fixed price per kWh.

I’ve installed the Octopus Energy integration, but I believe this can only show hourly electricity usage statistics from the previous day without an Octopus Home Mini (which I do not have).

I’ve installed the Octopus Intelligent Tariff integration, which tracks when the electricity cost is reduced - but not usage.

Is there a way to combine these integrations in HomeAssistant to give energy tracking showing correct electricity costs?

Set it in the energy dashboard to use an entity to track prices.

Thanks. I’d somehow missed that. The Octopus Energy integration provides sensor.octopus_energy_electricity_{meter}_current_rate which should be just what I need here.

Does the Home Mini provide tariff information on a 30 minute basis for Intelligent Octopus? I currently have a Glow IHD which does not provide dynamic tariff information.

My use case is to trigger a heat pump => on command when on cheap rate and off when on peak rate, similarly to initiate charging for my PowerWall for cheap rate and discharge when on peak rate.

Justin.

Hi @davidm ,

I’m about to switch from Tracker to Intelligent Octopus. I have setup a Utility Helper to split recording Peak and Offpeak usage.

I’m now trying to prepare for how to sort the rates for each, and wondered how you got on using the single current rate entity. My concerns (unconfirmed yet, as I’m not on it!) are 2 fold:

1. How does it cope with the charge of rate at 1130 and 530, when Home Assistant Energy Dashboard operates on the hour. Do you find the costs come out matching Octopus? Or do you find it close enough?
  2. What happens with Intelligent Charging Slots allocated during the day. Does the current_rate entity also update when you are allocated additional slots?

Thanks,

Jon.

If google brought you here and you’re looking for info on the addin for Octopus Intelligent Tariff, I think it’s here: Octopus Energy - Intelligent Tariff