Ok.. Stupid Question Time

I’ve gotten thru the install and the initial configuration… and I maintained MOST of my sanity!
I’ve been watching some of the Node Red demos on line… but know on yet has said HOW the information generated in Node Red gets into HA…

I suspect there an export from Node Red and then an Import into HA… but where and how…

I’m guessing JSON is extracted as an automation?

Thanks for your indulgence !
-Aaron

The automation is Node-Red, one of the only thing that happens from node red into HA is the action or services calls as a result of the automation.

You can create MQTT sensors and populate them from node-red.

You could probably also push info in using an http sensor

Node red handles the automation. Full stop.

It communicates to HA via websocket, and only passes states and services through the websocket. Node red just makes calls in that websocket API and performs actions and monitors state. That’s it. There no magical conversion of node red to HA. Node red does all the automation

Oh hey flamingm0e… No bitching I promise!

So, I’m reading that Node Red keeps a copy of my flows that I configure… someplace… a db no doubt… and …Node Red must have hooks directly into the entities or into entities via HA … watching entities and their states… which makes Red Node a giant listener… of a sort.

My mind block here is that I’m seeing Node Red as something that’s elicited from within HA… but it’s not; if Im reading right.

So… I finish and deploy a flow today… can I bring that flow back up for later modifications somehow nest week? Certainly Node Red keeps a copy of what its deployed.

have a look here … the module you need for NR to work closely with HA is here

But NR is an independent tool and you can do all kind of automation without HA, and even better.

NR is having a dedicated folder where all the flows are stored, you can backup/restore that folder to ensure your flows are save

NR is not a component of HA!

Json files. Right on the filesystem.

It’s just monitoring the websocket API.

Node red has nothing to actually do with Home Assistant. Node red has been around longer than ha. It’s just an app that does automation type work that you can connect to ha because someone wrote the nodes for it. They are completely different systems.

You literally open the web GUI for node red and it’s sitting in a tab on the interface…because once you deploy it’s running.

Yeah. If you delete the flow it can’t run…so node red has to continue running and the flows have to exist for things to happen.

Cool all thanks!