Olimex Bluetooth Proxy LAN PoE

Looking for step by step manual how-to install Olimex Bluetooth proxy over LAN.

After installing firmware from ESP website in browser via USB cable, and connecting it to LAN, device is present in ESP add-on. But no any Bluetooth devices discovered in integrations panel.

When trying to add Bluetooth integration it gives a message that no devices found. Am I missing something?

Scan runs every 5 minutes bit it does not detects nor my smartphone nor smartwatch.

Unless you have them setup to act as an iBeacon, these SHOULDN’T show up (and honestly, I tried setting my phone up in the HA app to act as a beacon and never had success).

Only things that have an integration (or a custom integration you have already installed) will show up.

so it means it is impossible use this devices as trackers for presence detection?

Some people are able to use the HA app, but I had no luck. I did have luck using a separate app (while troubleshooting), but I didn’t care enough to want to go that route.

bad news but thank you. probably need to cell now these ESP boards.

I’ve never messed with this, but some people use it:

I think you are have got the wrong idea here mate. The PoE ESP is fine to DETECT your bluetooth devices. It’s the BLE ‘emitters’ that you need to look at.

I have one of those Olimex ESP’s setup myself with another set to be installed. They work fine.

What BLE devices are you trying to detect?

Have a look to see if your BLE device you want to track is listed here. Note others may work but are just yet to be tested and listed in the docs.

Thank you for explanation.
Main idea of using those devices was to track other Bluetooth devices like smartphone and smart watch, for presence detection. I do not have any other BT devices

ok, so have you turned on the ibeacon settings for the HA app?

Thank you for links.
Sorry for noob’s question.
Why necessary use beacon in mobileapp if i want to track person by smart watch? I thought it only need to turn on Bluetooth and that’s it

You just need the device to transmit the iBeacon signal in order to use the iBeacon Integration as per here.. I think most smart watches can do this.

There is also a way to track just any old Bluetooth device by scanning for the signal strength of a particular Bluetooth device. This can be done via automations once the devices MAC address is known. You would need many Bluetooth Proxies around the place so you can calculate which one the tracked device is nearest.

this is exactly what i want to do. how can i do it?

I haven’t used this method myself but I remember reading someone else’s post about it. I have bene trying to search the forum for it but no luck as yet.

I use Tile Pro devices. I have them in each of the vehicles so I can run different automations depending on what car comes home. The way I set them up you should be able to do it with your phone or watch. I just use built in HA tracker for our phones to see when we are home and away. There can be a bit of a delay for away (no more then 5 minutes) but showing home is fast. But I have the circle around my house large because we walk over to the neighbors alot and got tired of the house arming. There is a lot of testing to find your device but with a phone or watch knowing the mac address should make it faster. Hopefully this link works. Scroll down to the bottom for the info. Be sure to restart HA after you disable the search or the list will just keep growing. For some reason just reloading the yaml does not stop it searching for devices.