[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Huh, really?

I was thinking of going along with this and installing Debian but not you’re not even “allowed” to install other software into the system. No. Not paying good money for a half decent NUC that sits there doing mostly nothing all day.

Guess I will have to start looking at the alternatives and hope things don’t break before I have time to start all over again with something else. Sad.

2 Likes

It is my understanding that the Proxmox install is supported…the fact that I am not seeing the “unsupported” notice would also confirm this. While it is far from ideal, it does allow me to use my NUC for other things and still have a supported install of HA.

I have HA in a Debian VM running alongside an Ubuntu 20.00 VM and an Ubuntu 18.04 vm for my pihole server. Everything including, all my integrations, cameras, zigbee and zwave networks run just as fast in the VM as they did when I had the scripted Ubuntu install on the nuc.

I’m happy, but I also understand the frustrations of others here.

3 Likes

That could help. It’s hard work keeping up though. I usually scan the release notes for things I’m using but didn’t notice this mentioned anywhere.

That’s the crux of the issue. Communication continues to bite the HA team in the butt. I’m sure there still would be complaints (you can’t please everyone)…but the surprise factor always worsens people’s attitude towards change. Hopefully they take note to avoid unnecessary frustration in the future…for them and the community.

3 Likes

You can install anything you like, their point is that if it ends up breaking your Supervised install they won’t be able to assist in fixing it as you may have updated a library it needed.

You could always just throw the Supervised Debian install in it’s own little VM while you run other things in another VM on a NUC.

1 Like

It’s not in release notes, it’s on the installation page here.

Running as a VM has been possible for ever and a day. There are a number of ways to do it, one is using a Hypervisor like Proxmox. This allows you to run the HAOS image (fully supported) and then spin up other Ubuntu/Debian/Other Distro to run everything else you wish like Plex, MQTT, camera software, even a Windows VM to run Blue Iris if you wish. You can do this on cheap hardware, second hand workstations off eBay for under $100 are well suited, like an i5 Dell Optiplex, etc.

Guide to get Proxmox with HAOS going is here.

2 Likes

You can also just run Core in Docker and not worry about the supervisor at all.

1 Like

Slightly OT, but strictly speaking Proxmox isn’t supported either, as there isn’t a native Image that can just be imported to Proxmox (the script converts the vhdx image). Perhaps there should be.

1 Like

You can use the QCOW2 image, you don’t need to use the script :wink:

Any Hypervisor can be used to run a supported image.

1 Like

Hadn’t noticed that - is it recent? I did a trial install a while ago but not actually migrated. Why use the script then?

QCOW2 was in BETA for a while.

The script makes it easy more or less. Using the QCOW2 image requires some config which the script does for you to make things easier to get going.

1 Like

You should be able to install the proxmox addon and install other docker images (other software), as they do not touch the base OS.

This is what happens when you suddenly tell a large percentage of your user base that they are running an unsupported installation and give them no migration path to a supported one for 3 months. No commercial software company would be so foolish as to try that.

3 Likes

Not supported but works just as good for most Ubuntu configurations.

For now but that wasn’t what I was responding to. I see trouble coming for that given comments by one of the Devs…

1 Like

I’m also running on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS because I could not get Debian running on my 10th Gen NUC. Thunderbolt and NIC/WiFi did not work! Ubuntu (at least LTS) should be supported in my opinion.

3 Likes

Gotta install the correct libraries with Debian to get that to work during the install.

1 Like

I tried, but I can tell you that’s very hard without working network (drivers). Took me two days of trying and then I gave up and installed Ubuntu 20.04 server without any issues.

1 Like

There is an image that includes the drivers you could have installed instead of the default image.

One of the things I tried was installing using the non-free firmware install disk, but the drivers were not there