[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

What’s being discussed here is (sort of) what you were describing. For a straight docker install though:

1 Like

Seriously folks need to calm down. I get that it sucks and could have been communicated better/earlier/whatever, but look at it this way.

The core team can be A Microsoft trying to support every combination of hardware imaginable and be user friendly at the expense of resources and money.

The core team can be a Linux doing a best effort to support every combination, but rely on the user to figure their own problems out.

The core team can be an Apple and make things “just work” at the expense of having to be prescriptive about the hardware it runs on.

Frankly as a supervised user, I’d rather they focus on the “just work” aspect so we can have a Zwave 1.6 or even a v1.0.0 someday and the community can fill in where the community wants.

5 Likes

MQTT, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, VS-Code, MariaDB, Appdaemon, Caddy, Dropbox Sync, Configurator(File Editor), Glances, JupyterLab Lite, Logviewer, ZeroTier, TasmoAdmin, PhpMyAdmin.

Maybe a new post for people to list them. I know from the ones i use they are from the official developers of those. Nodred, moquitto mqtt,mariadb, influx etc

Mostly a matter of searching docker hub for those.

I install mosquitto MQTT from apt, but Docker

ssh I definitely wouldn’t install from anywhere other than the OS, in fact ubuntu server offers to install sshd when you first install it.

Plenty on google, this one comes up 1st Docker

I am not sure on that one, as I expect you will want the HA codes completion etc.

I recently did this myself on docker, so I know the answer MariadB in docker issue - unconnected user unauthenticated host - #13 by nickrout

https://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/DOCKER_TUTORIAL.html

I won’t go on. Yes it will be harder. I was particularly impressed on my test supervised install with the ease appdaemon was as an addon

SSH and samba would just be done in the base OS, not really any need to do that straight in the container as its lost on next update

That is why they would be in a separate container.

1 Like

When I find addons I like I dissect their dockerfiles and install them via Portainer, while keeping my HomeAssistant core in a pyvenv :wink:

1 Like

One thing I like about the mosquitto add-on is its ability to use Home Assistant’s accounts for authentication. I also have mosquitto running on an RPI3 and setting up user accounts is more of a chore than the way the add-on handles it through Home Assistant.

Can someone point me to instructions for replicating this kind of account integration for the standard docker version of mosquitto?

2 Likes

Well I would install using docker images and create containers with persistent storage anyway. SSH is installed at O/S level but I do use the addon to control HA but is there’s no supervisor that’s not needed.

I can see myself doing the same.

Yes but why not provide a recommended list at the least?

Who is going to maintain that :see_no_evil: when you figure it out, post it in a topic here in the forums so others can find it.

The script is here https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-addons/blob/dc3f3c9196459570e5f6a10538851b7896d56ae7/mosquitto/data/auth_srv.sh

However it uses an API provided by the supervisor. There might be other authentication plugins for mosquito available that fit your use case.

1 Like

Running just the docker core on docker directly for the last bit. Was considering going with the supervised install to get the docker plugs and snapshot support back… Guess I will scrub that.

I actually went with docker because VM support was crap for a while with all sorts of boot drive / device driver issues etc with HassOS.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I hoped that wasn’t the case and it was implemented exclusively with the Authentication API. Oh well, this is a project for a rainy day.

1 Like

I’m confused… per this blog post this is not a supported install. Are you suggesting to use this script or just referencing it in a different context?

I ask because I just spent 2 days finally migrating to Home Assistant Supervised because I was running that install method and had seen the previous blog post. Now it seems I need to do it again…

EDIT: I’m wrong… the blog post is referencing a different script than your reference. Sorry!

So whiskerz007 has two setups…one is for running in an LXC container, the other is for setting up a VM.
It’s the LXC install that will give you problems, because you are running an ecosystem of containers in a container. It will run, but you’ll have issues down the line.

But the VM is fine. That link again is here: https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassos_install
You ssh in to your proxmox, run that one line, and a vm is created. Then you adjust the resources (particularly the disk size) before starting it. And done. I tried it just now to make sure it still worked as someone here said it didn’t. I’m staring at an account creation screen right now.

edit: Ahh I was too slow to see your edit :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just edited my post because I just noticed you were referencing a different script than the blog post. Sorry! So what that means is I’m a moron for not paying attention to that fact and I just migrated for no reason… doh!!

Back to my cave…

1 Like