[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

The nonsensical naming and associated changes don’t help either.

4 Likes

I’d just like to take the time to say thank you for the new Zwave component. While it is a pre-release I have not had any issues and it appears to be a top notch component.

I appreciate the response about this and the deprecation being put on hold for now. Thanks for listening to all the feedback!

Unfortunately, I already moved over to a Virtualbox-based HassOS setup and eliminated my supervised Linux installation in response to the original deprecation post. But I’m glad that the option still exists, and if it does end up sticking around I might switch back at some point to eliminate needing to run virtual machines on my server.

Reading your post I see many similarities to what I am going through (except I haven’t gone through them yet). I currently have an intel NUC that I purchased to try and install HA as a replacement for my smartthings. I currently have Ubuntu server installed and was going to install HA supervised, but don’t want to be using a discontinued product. If I go with HA Core in a venv I worry that updating and installing addons will be a pain. I tried proxmox and couldn’t get it to connect remotely for some reason - plus it seems infinitely more complex. So i’m trying to decide what the best route for my install is?

How is odroid N2 recommended as there is not an official released image? The latest documentations shows it is still in beta.

2 Likes

You have an Intel NUC so the simplest option is to use the Intel NUC image for Home Assistant. That includes HassOS, Home Assistant Core, Supervisor, and support for Add-Ons.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking I will try this method for now. I was just hoping that I could use the NUC for other things as well. But now I’m thinking that I’ll get myself setup with the NUC image for HA, get used to it, then later switch to linux with a VM.

One more question - with that setup, can I still run Node- Red and mosquitto?

So grateful this has been put on hold!

Thanks guys

1 Like

Yes, you can run them as Add-Ons.

The Add-Ons repository is here:
https://community.home-assistant.io/tags/hassio-repository

Yes, that’s one of the supported methods (the one I use). It’s “main stream” - all install methods use it. It’s tested too.

I gotcha! It sounds then like the VMDK was a different version than your ESXi was expecting. I’ve run into this with every VM I migrated to a new ESXi host, not always from ESXi (one was VMWare Server 1.0 with way too many disk snapshots!) and sometimes I had to clone exactly like that to ensure it was in the right format for that version of ESXi. Sounds like this is more VMWare’s fault with their inconsistencies, but I’m glad you got it working!

following your footstep… I’m actually using this method. Feel more convertible to run everything independently so the docker can be use for other thing

why would docker cares?
you can have HA core installed as a container, it’s not about this subject thread, supervised installation on linux is about something else.

Docker is about to run everything independently, if want to.
I don’t get it, maybe i’m looking at this wrong.

2 Likes

I first tried with the virtual image and felt like a fish out of water… what OS was it again? couldn’t do any of the configs that normally take me mins to do, was effectively useless for me… so I setup a VM with a fresh copy of debian and installed HA under python… perfect solution for me and I’ve not once asked for help because of using my own OS of choice for the past 20 years.

I would go on to say don’t dumb HA down to using preconfigured installed/environments, however for the manual installs fee free to put all manner of scary warnings in the documentation stipulating your on your own for that type of install.

1 Like

well when you used supervisor it will be contained inside HASS…

whats is “the manual installs”?

I’m talking about when you install HA directly onto your own OS, not using their VM, docker or supervisor.

:thinking:
If you use this, https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/, you have HA core running within Docker.
What you’ll lose is this
immagine
and all its fancy addons
immagine

i get it, but why don’t use docker if you want to use only HA core?
It’s a supported method use HA core with docker, check link below.

1 Like