[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

not sure, but it should be there depending on the version you are running. there is mention in the configs for ring about not able to use yaml anymore

2 Likes

Lovelace mode has no impact on the integrations page.

2 Likes

I’m on the latest image. pulled today.

edit: nevermind. it’s me. Although I pulled the latest image from the hub, I’m still getting a 0.102
but why does it remain on this version while I just pulled the latest homeassistant/home-assistant.
I’m using unraid/docker, btw.

edit2: ffs unraid

I swear I just pulled the latest image.
Just bumped into another unraid MEGAbug.

Just went from 0.102 to 0.109 … debuggin config time
like ALL my groups are no longer working. So basically almost everything :slight_smile:

what version does it say

1 Like

So the VM script that Whiskerz007 has for Proxmox will be supported in the future?

I think this has already been answered but I just wanted to be clear so I can moderate my level of panic. The vocabulary surrounding the different types of installations has started to confuse me (and at least a few other folks in earlier comments). So please forgive me if this is redundant and long, but perhaps the summary will help some other folks :sweat:.

My TL;DR question: the venv installation method (also know as Home Assistant Core, I think) will continue to be supported, correct? That is, the venv method is not the same as the Home Assistant Supervised method?

The Longer Version:

My understanding is that the different types of HA installation methods are/were:

• The hassio method – using a pre-made image on a standalone device like a Raspberry Pi, or using a virtual appliance with your favorite virtual machine software. This has always been the preferred method and includes the most features (like add-ons).
  • The Docker method – using Docker software to run Home Assistant in a virtualized environment (I’m not very familiar with Docker). This method only installs the “base” Home Assistant packages.
  • The venv method – using a Python virtual environment to run to run Home Assistant in a…virtualized environment. This method only installs the “base” Home Assistant packages.

The venv method (and the Docker method) would allow you to install Home Assistant in any Linux distro (in theory), so if, for example, you already had a Linux box acting as your media server, you could also install Home Assistant there instead of buying new hardware (assuming, of course, you know enough to properly install and administrate the system on your own). These methods – and some tutorials for a few different distros – are described in the documentation here…and that documentation will stay?

I’m using the venv method. I was not previously familiar with the Home Assistant Supervised method, so I assumed it’s not the method I’m using. But when I noticed that it was often referred to as “Home Assistant on Generic Linux” I started to get concerned. So…

I think that Home Assistant Supervised is a fourth installation method not mentioned in my list above, and that it is not the same as the venv installation method or the Docker method. Is that correct? Further, is the vocabulary translation below correct?

• Home Assistant Operating System = hassio method, using images or virtual appliances. Includes everything in Home Assistant Core plus add-ons.
  • Home Assistant Core = venv and Docker method, also called “base Home Assistant,” allows users to install basic Home Assistant (without add-ons) into the OS of their choice. This will continue to be supported, and updates using pip3 commands (like those described here) will continue to work.
  • Home Assistant Supervised = a hybrid method that provided a full-featured Home Assistant installation (with add-ons like the hassio method) but allowed users to install it into the OS of their choice, with the “Supervisor” application running interference between the OS and Home Assistant. Also called “Home Assistant on generic Linux.” This is the method that is under consideration for deprecation, and related documentation is being removed.

Is everything above correct? Or do I have anything wrong? Clarification would be much appreciated :smiley:

2 Likes

It is my understanding as well so I think you are correct.
What is really getting unsupported in the now put on hold announcement is the supervisor for generic linux installations.
The Home Assistant core being the core code for every other version can’t really be deprecated. It is the supervisor add-on which many have used on various distros and platforms which is being considered. The other variants of installation, coming as an image, either for VM, full machine OS or docker container are unaffected sine they are self contained environments, easier to control.

1 Like

Home Assistant Core

• Home Assistant Core is a program written in python. It can be installed directly on any linux-based system running (minimally) python 3.7 (currently). To avoid entanglements/dependencies, it is recommended to create a python virtual environment, a ‘venv’, and install it in this environment. The resulting installation is often referred to as Home Assistant Core in a venv.

• The Home Assistant Core program is also available as a docker container. If you are using docker, this is an easy way to install Home Assistant Core.

Home Assistant

• Home Assistant is the term used to describe a combination of services, available as a complete disk-image for specific hardware platforms. It consists of an operating system (HassOS) equipped with docker, Home Assistant Core in a docker container, and several other docker containers including one called Supervisor which serves as the management piece. One of Supervisor’s abilities is to let you install additional, curated services called Add-Ons. These are simply services in docker containers (mosquitto, Node-Red, etc) that have been customized to work seamlessly with Home Assistant Core.

• Home Assistant Supervised for generic linux is a variation of Home Assistant. It provides everything found in Home Assistant except the operating system (HassOS) and is not distributed as a disk image. You install this version on an existing instance of linux (and this is the installation method whose deprecation was temporarily suspended).

17 Likes

I Love Home Assistant, but i hate the sd cards.
Its not if they brake but when…
Bought a few mini PC’s (running a few servers for people),
Like the Lenovo M93 Mini and HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Mini.
All running Ubuntu Server with home assistant on it.
Today wanted to migrate the last install from a windows VM to Ubuntu Server.
Finding out its no longer working as i want it to…
Always trouble with windows rebooting when you don’t want and just so mutch faster without a VM.

Would realy like to use this way and don’t want to replace all the mini PC’s with the expansive Intell Nuc.

Hope to be back in busniss soon.

1 Like

als long as you can either run Linux ( best would be debian or ubuntu) you still be able to install Home assistant or even supervised. Nothing has changed (yet?)

The install created by that script will be supported. It’s just HassOS in a VM. As to the script itself that is up to Whiskerz - but the on-hold depreciation here for generic Linux install is a totally different thing.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation! But just to be sure: I have HA running on HassOS in Docker on a dedicated Linux-server. I also have a lot of add-ons installed, that i cannot do without. Am i using Core? Or is this the supervised version? I understood from the HA-docs that the docker-version also uses supervisor. Or is this a different supervisor?

I said earlier in this thread something along the lines of “supervised is the only way to go with decent hardware”. I’ll have to take that back. My HP G2 800 Mini (i5/8gb/250gb) arrived today and I set it up with Proxmox using the whiskerz007 script. Well, this is a fantastic setup. Easy installation and tremendous flexibility. Everything transferred over nicely with just a couple tweaks. I installed an Ubuntu server VM along side it and I have plenty of resources left over. Proxmox is lightweight, it seems. I’ll be sticking with this setup regardless.

1 Like

Your setup is “Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux”.

I don’t understand the description of your system.

• You can have Home Assistant as a docker container running on HassOS but you can’t have HassOS “in Docker”. HassOS is an operating system, not a docker container. HassOS can host a docker environment.

• If you have a dedicated “linux server” (running some distro of linux) then I don’t see how you can also have HassOS running on it unless you are hosting it in a virtual machine (except you didn’t mention that).

Look in Supervisor > System > Host system > System and tell me what it says.

In my case, it says ‘Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS’ because I am using Home Assistant Supervised (on Ubuntu). There is no HassOS on my system.

• Home Assistant Core is available as a docker container. It can be installed on an existing system running a docker environment.

• Supervisor is also a docker container but it is not available separately. It comes bundled with Home Assistant Core (docker container), and a few other docker containers, in what is called Home Assistant (refer to my post above).

1 Like

I hope this holds for ever. Otherwise who will hold my :beer:?

Jokes beside. I enjoy using the the “supervised on generic Linux” installation and have many system running it.

Starting from the $10 Orange Pi One with armbian installed. Just think about it! A $10 device, passive cooled, makes no noise and is charged with superpower :tada:

Other devices are cheap (old) intel atom’s with limited ram (2gb) which are not usable with virtual machines but working great with a Debian topped with Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I didn’t see your response earlier. :slight_smile:

In hindsight I should have been a bit clearer in my previous post. As someone who has unfortunately experienced this himself and has a few other people as friends, who are also “blessed” with burn-outs or “mobbing” (I don’t know if this is the right wording in english, but taking your name, I think you get the German word). The one who is affected, gets it the last.

That’s why superiors have to take a close look, how their employees feel and behave. It is part of the job description to watch out for sympthoms like work overload. That’s one part of my point. :slight_smile:

The second one is about the handling of such health problems. It is nowhere near nice, to put someone in the front line of an article, that forseable will be getting into a harsh discussion. If you care about the health of your employee, you can write this blog post about “workload in general” and “the team has decided” to shield the one affected. But naming him, puts a lot of pressure out there, that simply isn’t necessary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully now that we are almost 700 posts in and the majority(?) of users have hopefully finally figured out exactly which install method they used, let’s take a poll to give an indication of how many people actually use which method:

• HassOS (or other pre-configured OS Image)
  • Core (Docker or Venv)
  • Supervised Install on Generic Linux Server

0 voters

The poll will automatically close in 3 days to give any ample time to vote.

3 Likes

This needs another option at least…

• Home Assistant running on HassOS with Docker on Ubuntu and add-ons
3 Likes

Now you confuse me as well, how is this possible? This would be a mix of 1 and 3 and I don’t see how this should work, either HassOS or Ubuntu, you can’t have 2 operating systems.

1 Like