[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Your’re absolutely right. It’s a suicide move.They’re killing one of the main features of the product. They saw the branch on which they are sitting. Too bad, it was a winning product also for its architecture.

2 Likes
  1. Did you install a Linux operating system?

2. In Home Assistant, do you see this in the menu?
    . Screenshot from 2020-05-10 11-14-50

• If you answered yes to both questions, you are running Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux.

• If you answered no to either question, you are not running Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux.

1 Like

Great to hear the decision is on hold.

Now, it’s really important to grow the team skills in that domain and Pascal is truly to be commended for all his great work!

Maybe someone will come forward to lend him a useful hand and so he can find some well deserved find work/life balance.

What’s missing from understanding the diagram completely is the black line… That black line is the Docker Daemon. It makes everything below the line irrelevant to the containers running above it. The only thing that would need to be “OS Dependent” is the installation script due to slightly different pathing. However simplify things into a supported docker-compose file and give prereqs for the OS (docker daemon, pathing etc) and life can move on. Most of us rolling our own setup don’t need everything done for us. Or just roll hass.io features into the main project?

Great move in back tracking on this, look forward to the future.

4 Likes

@Previous @Giovanni_Virdis [On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

1 Like

Thank you for responding to this!
While I was very disappointed by the way this was communicated, I have a LOT of respect for leaders who are able to hit the pause button on a decision in response to feedback. I understand that this will be difficult as there is a resource limitation and appreciate you guys taking the time to work with the community to flush this out. At a minimum, we now have the time to properly investigate other ways of using HA. My time to work on things has been very limited for me lately, and I’m not going to lie…this thread increased my stress level significantly. I was seriously considering dumping everything, tucking my tail between my legs, and heading back to Hubitat. It would have been easier to start over on that ecosystem than suffer through the potential weeks of research, trial and error to get my NUC migrated to a VM setup.

My family and I thank you for this decision…even if it’s only temporary.

PS
I would also support a decision that would allow a Linux OS supervised install with strict parameters (OS type, version and config).

7 Likes

Have they? Because the way you have been reacting to this in multiple topics did sound a little biased. Would be nice to see some more mild reactions next time.

I hope you can too, in the future. Instead of being negative upfront, in more then one post and jumping to negative conclusions. Sorry to be harsh, but you weren’t really productive yourself about this earlier on.
You might want to get used to decisions being made without asking the public, because that would stall every development to a crawling pace. Some greatness comes with a price and usually people tend to just change with it over time.

2 Likes

Still can’t believe all the attitude on a free product, and if you pay for Nabu Casa, that $5 is for the hosting mainly, they aren’t making a lot of money. It’s their project and it’s free. If you want to fork it, go for it, you want to get mad and leave project, also go for it, who cares, go to Hubitat community or Smartthings.

Plenty people who don’t mind this change in community, I think they should kill it, and VM support too, full OS or docker core only makes sense to me.

You know they could just move on tomorrow and stop all of this right? Make whatever change they want? They don’t owe the community anything, we benefit from their passion on their project.

I’ve had enterprise software that cost fortunes make changes more frustrating when I was paying millions a year, such as changes from SalesForce, Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco, and plenty others.

Get over the anger, fix your solutions and adapt, and move on, or leave community and go somewhere else.

6 Likes

I am so happy to hear this. Killing one of the key features of a product like homeassistant is a suicide, believe me. The evolution of the yaml and its specialization using it only where it is needed, it’s decision which, in my opinion, do not overturns the product, an architectural change of this magnitude does. Cuts out power users, just the pool of users where you could more easily find someone who helps you.
I hope you will review it, possibly specializing the support on a distribution (Debian?).
Great.

In theory you are right. However, if you look at the 1st post of the now very long thread:

So, I guess that the supervisor is not just a “normal” container that depends only on Docker.
I am not savvy enough to say more, but, clearly, running the docker supervisor on whatever distro of linux, is the main concern. So as @123 suggested, choosing one distro would be a reasonable compromise.
As many are running on Pi, Odroid, where armbian is very popular, I would think that debian would be the achievable compromise. My 2 cents

GV

2 Likes

Debian for me too.

1 Like

Exactly!

Above the containerization it nothing change… The best idea a good docker-compose.

You guys are missing the fact it uses dbus to communicate and control part of the host system as well. Docker is just one of the moving parts.

4 Likes

Exactly, they are over simplifying something they think, but don’t fully understand

Very glad the devs decided to suspend this change. HA with supervisor, on Docker on generic Linux is far and away the best install option, imho. If anything, I wish they’d focus on this and dump the HassOS / RPi approach. Yes, it’s slightly easier to get started that way, but almost every user of HA that I’ve spoken to finds they quickly outgrow the RPi and want to shift to something else.

Unfortunately, it appears that the dev team’s focus is on the newbie user at the expense of the more hard-core user. Expected in a commercial product, disappointing in an open source/community product.

Personally, I very quickly outgrew an RPI and ried the VM approach, as I have an ESXi server running for other uses. Gave up for the same reason mentioned by others - inability to expand the disk. Maybe that’s been fixed recently, don’t know, because the docker approach works so very well. I have no desire to buy dedicated hardware for HA, nor to run Proxmox.

Someone mentioned the Microsoft/Linux/Apple approach to things. I agree with that person, this is an Apple- like approach. There’s a reason I don’t use a Mac. I’d much rather HA continued with a Linux- like approach, instead.

7 Likes

I think most of users use Ubuntu/Debian. I think the less pain that we chose one of them…

Or my other idea. You think a LXC container (full OS)?

These types of responses come across as selfish. Because THIS particular decision has no impact on you, you feel confident to discount other folks feelings on the matter. I completely agree that they OWE us nothing. However, when folks have spent a significant amount of time and money getting this going, and then are told SUDDENLY that they now have to spend a significant more amount of time, effort and money to continue using an application that essentially runs their house…well…

This isn’t an spreadsheet application that won’t work anymore. This system runs a house and affects a family. Anyone with an empathetic bone in their body would understand that an emotional response will come next. This type of decision needs to be communicated elegantly and give folks the necessary time to adapt.

TLDR - try not to discount other people frustrations because you don’t share them. It is not helpful and only serves to increase their frustrations and will only prompt another emotional (and probably negative) response.

17 Likes

Thanks for putting this on-hold for now until additional analysis can be done. Being an amateur programmer myself and having worked with a number of professional programmers I can certainly understand programmers burning out and certainly don’t want that to happen either.

Having using Linux since the late 90’s (currently running HA on Ubuntu) hopefully cutting down the support distro’s is the best option moving forward while still providing an option for power users!

Cheers!

Not selfish, just know it’s free and I appreciate their time and whatever they decide, you know all these types of threads and people are what kill a lot of open source projects completely

You are implying that those who voice their concern or objection to a decision do not appreciate the work of the devs. Appreciation, disagreement and frustration are not mutually exclusive.

Oh and this type of thread might have been avoided by communicating the decision better than was done. My personal disappointment was not so much the decision but how the decision was put forward. I am also thankful that they have put a pause on this to provide time for everyone to find a solution that works and provide better documentation so those who have to adjust aren’t scrambling through hundreds of posts.

11 Likes