[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

I see; it’s in a separate environment. Is it technically feasible to communicate across this divide? Or simply impossible?

Possible, simply not done. As said, the data isn’t used, hence never extended :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It is not referring to that in any way, please read. I highly doubt we could ever support bare metal Alpine Linux.

The current installer is a changes with error in line 17… so unless that being fixed the On Hold is really work the same as depreciating. :crazy_face:

Are you sure about that?

This is the comment @finity was replying too.

3 Likes

Because they want to…?

And to be specific, there is no point at all (that I know of) to install Portainer if you don’t ever run containers other than those installed thru a HA add-on.

If you need Portainer then by default you are likely running other non-HA containers that need managed.

And that’s the beauty of the Supervised install - it allows you the benefits of the add-ons if you want them, it allows you the ability to run other containers outside of those offered by HA and it allows you to run any other thing on the base OS if you want. Why would you want anything else?

TBH, I’m really not sure why that would ever not be the default install method on any machine more powerful than a Pi. If you are to the point in your tech ability that you want to run and configure HA then the requirement to install some version of Docker on a base Linux OS then run the install script for the Linux install shouldn’t be too challenging.

If it is then maybe HA isn’t for you…

…or maybe just use the “make it easy” version and install the HassOS image on some machine.

exactly my point.

1 Like

You quoted me there, there was no reference to that in my text. Please stop making assumptions, that doesn’t help anybody. Thanks :+1:

The Home Assistant Operating System is not a regular operating system like Ubuntu for example. HassOS is an embedded operating system, which is more comparable to a firmware. It has to be tailored specifically to the device it is running on. It is what makes updates on the fly possible and it is the same reason why it won’t have a general “install on some machine” edition.

I’m not sure you get it.

The reply you quoted from was in response to the suggestion of Alpine being used as the supported OS. Go back and read the reference.

I was clarifying that as you didn’t understand the reference.

4 Likes

Nevermind.

I realize that.

I was replying to nick about his suggestion to use Alpine Linux as the only supported base OS to install the Supervised version of HA onto.

1 Like

Again I realize that.

My point was that if the install on generic linux isn’t your choice then there are other options for you that don’t entail needing to install any base OS so you can just use the image for whichever machine you have that you want to install it on.

Indeed…

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I’ll bookmark that for later if I need it or have time to try it.

This is really a philosophical discussion on what Home Assistant is to be…
Is it an embedded system with it’s own OS and it’s strategy to dockerize everything? (HassOS), installable as an OS image or through VM or docker.
Or is it a program which can be installed on any Linux distro and platform?

The former means that the OS is very limited and is much easier to install and support.
The latter is much more flexible but is what is causing all the support/maintenance issues as it may have outgrown this status for many installations.

Right now it is both and the question is whether it is sustainable that way.
The addition of the supervisor gave the latter some of the characteristics of the former. For my particular use case it adds very little value so I never installed it. I use only the core and not even in a venv which I found to add also unnecessary complexity.

1 Like

In the interests of helping the development team gain a better understanding of its user-base, I’d like to share my story (as briefly as possible).

Life with Venv

I started with Home Assistant installed in a python virtual environment on an old laptop running Lubuntu. The concepts and terminology, of both python and linux, were all new to me but I had the time and desire to learn it. This device became my production system. Upgrading is a multi-step procedure so I chose to upgrade infrequently.

Docker Days

For my test system, I learned about docker and used docker-compose to run Home Assistant on another old laptop (with Ubuntu). Upgrading/downgrading is easy and I keep it up-to-date. I had planned to convert my venv-based production system to docker-compose.

New flagship

Along the way, Home Assistant was rebranded. My Home Assistant effectively became “Coke Classic” and Hass.io became the new “Coke”. What was once recommended for novices was promoted to flagship status. However, I didn’t switch. Home Assistant Core served my needs and I was already managing separate instances of mosquitto and Node-Red on an RPI3.

Toe in the water

Nevertheless, I was now curious to learn about the flagship’s amenities. I installed Home Assistant Supervised on yet another old laptop running Ubuntu. Why? Mostly because I was unwilling to spend money on new hardware that’s compatible with the available images. Plus I prefer an operating system with more flexibility than the purpose-built HassOS. I have SSH and samba services installed in Ubuntu, as opposed to using docker-based Add-Ons. In the event of a docker screwup, I have a robust means of accessing the system to fix the problem.

Acceptance and Adoption

After using it, I liked what I saw and gained a greater appreciation for why the development team chose it to be the flagship. In a nutshell, management is greatly simplified. Despite being at ease with performing upgrades in venv (and docker-compose), I preferred the simplicity of one-click upgrades, easy backups, and simplified management of related services via the Add-On system.

Ultimately, I decommissioned my old production system and the RPI3 hosting mosquitto and Node-Red. Everything was consolidated on an old laptop running Home Assistant Supervised on Ubuntu. This is a valuable means of running Home Assistant and it would be a shame to have it demoted to unofficial, non-supported status.

20 Likes

That happened to me as well, but it seems that if you download the script and run it from your computer it WILL work. I’m doing this in OpenMediaVault but I suspect it works on other OS’s too. I don’t know why the officially suggested command fails.

This is what I did to download the script:

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh > installer.sh

Followed by:

./installer.sh -d /your/preferred/hassio/directory

Caveat: I’m not a Linux-expert, this was found through a little experimenting, any action on your part is on you, not me!

1 Like

Thanks! It worked. Just had to give permission to the file (chmod u+x ./installer.sh) and we are ready to go!!!

I’m sorry, but I’m lost also somewhere on the road…

I started with RPI3, but got some crashes of the SD card. Also it was not fast enough for me.
Then I installed HA (Hassio?) on my Synology NAS in the virtual machine from Syno (not docker). Worked well, but also on heavy load or updates from Syno my HA sufferd from it.
I wanted a robust system After long searching, reading,…
I purchased a NUC, and for some reason the native image didn’t work, and after a lot of searching and good help from the community the consensus was that I better installed Ubuntu on it so all driver issues etc would be handled by that (is that correct?)
afterwards I ran these commands:

sudo -i
add-apt-repository universe
apt-get update
apt-get install -y apparmor-utils apt-transport-https avahi-daemon ca-certificates curl dbus jq network-manager socat software-properties-common
curl -sSL https://get.docker.com | sh
curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh | bash -s – -m intel-nuc

I have to say, this is really rock solid, and runs absolutely perfect. Also with all add-ons from Frenck etc…
Can anyone tell me if this is the “right” way, and supported for the future?
If not, what are my options? (Staying on the NUC of course…)

1 Like

First off, please see the sticky post - particularly point 16 about whether or not you should tag folks to demand somebody answers you.

That question is what this whole thread, and the blog post, is about. The answer is to keep an eye on the blog post since the answer has gone from no to we’ll get back to you.

4 Likes

just installed proxmox on a second ssd, installed home assistant with the mentioned script, recovered my snapshot, now mariadb is broken, and the performance has decreased, a lot.
My system is an old pc i used with pfsense, asrock j1900, 8 gb ram

ps: just sharing, obviously :wink: