[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Running into the same issue as you. Says I’m running Operating System 4.6 but an update available to 3.13. Did you try hitting the update button? FWIW, I chose the qcow2 image and set it up in KVM on Ubuntu.

Tried to read as much as possible, and it’s been a fascinating debate with some highs and lows! However the struggle I see is, what is the official method for someone who has an old laptop? Lots of people start using the Pi and quickly outgrow, and have an old laptop kicking around the house. If this had been communicated alongside then I would see a logical step. It appears to me the most popular method has been deprecated (with good intentions) however the community are unable to see what the next step is. My concern is if people are moving to Docker or Proxmox which seem to be the next popular methods, these might suffer the same fate too

1 Like

So if I go this way I could not install some apps that I am using now in ubuntu? Like stremio etc?
I guess I have to wait for som (ideally) official guide to go through with the installation. Right now I use ubuntu as a media server connected to my tv and everything is perfect for my needs.

Really, funny, I work in ML, AI and bigdata fields, and most of my complex pipelines have INI configuration templates. In what kind of mind set you are to suggest that INI can’t be in place for HA. You seriously think that configuration for training random forest or RNN can’t be expressed in Python INI template. we are talking about significantly more complex options than any HA configurations from now until end of days. Think again … you can keep making fun of it, but I fit pretty much anything in the value, list, dict, strings, numbers, interpolation, templates inside string templates, anything …
You can write you custom parser, and do anything you wish. Much better for sure than YAML.
YAML is crap par excellence. I can talk about YAML as my colleague long time ago invented it at least first base of it. it was idiotic idea at that time and waist of his time while rest of us worked on the product and it is a bad choice today.
XML is horrible, but at least we agree on that one …
Strange …

I think in many cases people might do that as a workaround to easily boot from SSD’s.

In my case, I am on a mac mini and run RAID 0 disks (which none of the supported intel based hardware platforms have the motherboard ports for), and have 2 USB devices which don’t work in any way I’ve found with VM’s. I also require intel for some of my components and OS level features as well… It makes moving off pretty tricky.

I guess we have different experiences :). I work with Ansible every day and have no problems working with YAML and Jinja2 for complex configurations and find it quite readable for usecases like this. Sure spacing sucks sometimes but I find a decent IDE makes it ok. I get through with vim as well.

I’ve followed a similar path as a lot of people here, started with the Raspberry Pi, quickly outgrew that and moved to docker on my Synology Nas, then experimented with a VM install of Homeassistant (hassio/hassos) but found it to be too slow. I moved my homeassistant setup over to a supervised install on an old laptop running ubuntu server and it works perfectly so I am glad the decision has been put on hold.

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain why the supervisor can’t be rolled into homeassistant core?

Perhaps not so great compared to modern options but I was thoroughly impressed the first time I saw its application in home automation.

HouseBot has been around since 2006. To exchange automations, UI templates, and more, it uses an “HBX” file which is zipped XML. A completely non-proprietary, human readable/modifiable exchange format.

I thought that was pretty cool until in 2007 I discovered Premise which was invented several years before HouseBot (~1999). It can export all or selected portions of its configuration in XML. In fact, when it makes its automatic backups, they’re XML files. That was forward-thinking two decades ago when proprietary storage formats were common.

However, neither of these applications expose XML to the user as a means for configuring anything. It’s used strictly as a storage format.

So, kinda like the json files that HA is using in .storage?

1 Like

They both do expose a horrendous ui to the user.

I happened to have the install page open for some reason so took a text copy of it :laughing:. Of course you can fork the repo and undo the last few commits.

I had a poke around the closed issues on homeassistant_supervisor and it didn’t seem too bad. One response though, suggested to me that HassOS does not have the underlying capability to boot from anything other than SD Card. Devs use eMMC so that is probably the path they are taking.

I do wonder if the Devs want to do something with HassOS that would be difficult to do for the generic install and that is why they want to remove this install method. My bet is that supervisor for generic will stall (a specific version or branch) and the HassOS version will march on.

1 Like

They are fundamentally different things.

Core is the Python part of Home Assistant, you can just install this as a Python system and let it do it’s stuff. What you then miss out on are all of the Add-ons that are actually (IMNSHO) what makes HA great.

The alternative method of install (Referred to as a Generic install) is to start with your OS and use Docker containers - Core is installed in it’s own docker container and you can add containers with other subsystems in them (add-ons). The supervisor ‘supervises’ the containers, the install, config etc, and helps them all talk to each other - really quite clever. However, the supervisor really needs to be in charge of everything at the OS level. If the user changes or adds something that the supervisor doesn’t like it can cause issues not of the supervisor’s making. Equally, if the underlying OS changes something this could be a problem as well. These problems then get raised as issues with supervisor when they are not.

You can install all the dockers yourself without supervisor, but that is pretty technical.

What HassOS (HA) does is roll an underlying OS and all the dockers plus supervisor into a single package. Easier for the Devs as they are in charge, but what the user loses is the ability to get the machine to do anything but run HA. You also then have a limited HW setup, no SSD/HDD on an SBC etc.

5 Likes

Sorry. After reading three types of instalation, I’m still not sure which type of my installation is. I attach the container screen dump here.

you are with supervised installation, the actual debate :laughing:

After reading three types of installation, I’m still not sure which type of my installation is

I’m not picking on this quote specifically but how many times do we see this? (Yes, I asked it myself once in the past with respect to something completely different).

Isn’t there a fundamental shortcoming somewhere if so many people don’t know what type of installation they have or understand the very high level architecture? And I do mean very high level I don’t expect or believe it necessary to have a deep technical understanding.

Of course the recent renaming hasn’t helped :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not sure why it should make any difference. The whole point of docket is that it lets the software work no matter what os is below. Can’t see why there’s a difference between hassos, Ubuntu, fedora, etc

more or less the same time people ask how to run properly hassOS on hypervisor :joy:

I know this is a long thread but @123 (I think it was him) has posted the REALLY EASY test at least twice in the thread.

If you have supervisor in the ui AND you are running another OS (eg debian, ubuntu, raspbian) then you have a supervised install and are affected by this thread.

How hard is that?

7 Likes

First, many thanks to all the have and are contributing to this great project.

Some comments on NUC installation: I also started on a Pi3, but it was slow. Being a Windows shop and without a NUC, I first tried to install the NUC version directly on a HP Z220S with an I-5 CPU and a SATA SSD.

Blazingly fast, reliable, never looked back, -or changed. The HP box can be had for $100. I’d like to run it on a Win19 server, but no pressing need and other unrelated issues (physical distance to run RS-232 from server to media room; required for some gear).