[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Jaysus you had me thinking one of us was mad.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you laid this out. I was confused AF. I’ve been using Home-Assistant for about 5years already and have run it home-assistant in docker (just the base) and also run it as a package under ubuntu. Now am runnning it on a NUC (hassio). If I am confused by the naming concept, can you imagine a new user coming to the platform or trying to decipher the forums!

Not sure if the results will be anywhere near accurate if going by the number of responses in this thread of those who dont know what they have

1 Like

Not a funny joke given how much confusion already exists… just sayin.

5 Likes

I think I said it about a dozen times in the HA name change thread…the new names will do nothing to eliminate the confusion.

@123 said it best;

Fred: I’m no longer Fred, call me Bob.
Bob: So what’s my name now?
Fred: You’re Bob Junior.
Bob: But everyone knows me as Bob.
Fred: I’m Bob.

5 Likes

But HassOS implies Home Assistant.

As I see it there are two general ways to get “Home Assistant” (the one with the add-ons…my god this is ridiculous…).

One is having a pre-configured image that runs HassOS.

The other is a Supervised install.

If you don’t have one of hose installs then you are running Core - either in Docker or in a venv. Or I guess directly on the base OS but those people are crazy so we can ignore them. :wink:

Hence, three options.

Ok you win. You got me. :rofl:

I was like “what the fu…! Et tu, Kanga?:cry:

2 Likes

According to Frank;

• “Home Assistant Core” = “Home Assistant”.
  • “Home Assistant Supervisor” = Hass.io (Supervisor)
  • “Home Assistant OS” = HassOS
  • "Home Assistant Supervised " = Hass.io on a custom os (generic linux install).
  • “Home Assistant CLI” = Hassio-cli
  • “Home Assistant Frontend” = home-assistant-polymer
  • “Home Assistant Wheels” = hassio-wheels
  • continue this list.

That’s from a couple of months ago, however.

I think this is what he means :

New name <= old name

Yes.

I just took a direct copy/paste from a comment Frank had made in the name change thread.

Ah, Ok. I misunderstood.

In that case I agree with all those. :slightly_smiling_face:

Disregard that last post… :wink:

Yes please, the current terminology might be unintuitive, but it’s best to stick to it, as to not add more confusion.

1 Like

I think it’s very funny. But not in a funny way.

Frankly I think the whole situation is beyond absurd.

I’m pretty sure someone somewhere recently (might have been petro but I’m not tagging him :wink: ) said HA/NabuCasa needed to employ someone to do the communications side of things…

2 Likes

Well, He must be doing the job right. People are already afraid of him… :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

Hi @DavidFW1960

Any recommendation of which VM to use on a low powered NUC. Currently using Virtualbox which seems to be working fine, but would be good to use something else which is more resource friendly!

Cheers

Will

May I ask?
Let’s assume that right now HA is working and everything I need in order to automate my home is there. (no matter how HA is installed)
What could happen in future if I didn’t update anything?
(HA or addons etc)
Will my system continue to work?

1 Like

Yes of course it would

1 Like

At the moment i can’t find a guide to intall on linux debian or ubuntu with supervisor.
Yesterday i tried 4 times with differnt guides on 3 diferent versions of linux… all went up with a working home assistant without supervisor… if enyone has a guide that works at the moment… be more than welcome. at the moment i think i need to clone a ssd from a working location (installed 3 months ago with the guide from the homeassistant site that i can’t find anymore)

1 Like

I don’t see any benefit to referring to it by implication when it has an official name:

Home Assistant

The new naming convention is overly confusing as we have seen numerous times throughout this thread and others.

I was just trying to cut thru that by specifying how “Home Assistant” was installed. Which has completely become the entire point of this thread.

I personally think the delineation between “Home Assistant” and “Home Assistant Supervised” is completely contrived. After you have it installed I don’t think that anyone could tell the difference on how their instance was installed compared to how the other instance was installed.

I think that the way I broke the options out is way more logical than it is now.

How easy would it be to ask “What type of Home Assistant are you running?” or “how did you install Home Assistant?”. And the answers to both those questions would reasonably be the options I gave above and everybody would know exactly what you meant.

2 Likes