[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Or venv or just core in docker.

1 Like

Comment Removed.

2 Likes

No. If you install it in that way the supervisor is not available and you lose the ability to run add-ons. But TBH that’s all you lose. Everything else in HA is still available. If you don’t run any (many…) add-ons it’s a viable option.

1 Like

Oh damn. Can i just import the QCOW2 image into proxmox and restore a snapshot from HA? I’m really confused right now how I have to migrate my supervised installation on Ubuntu with Docker.

@pvizeli: i wish you the best! Take it easy and don’t overwork yourself. Have known you from school and love HA very much. Great project. Would be really sad to loose you because of overworking.

It looks like you still have refences to an old file in your setup.

Anyone that run ESXi should (IMO) be able to get it running with the file and the hint about EFI.
The size is set by ESXi not the image.

Try creating a completely new VM, if that fail do as @frenck said and open an issue :+1:

1 Like

I do run lots of addons… How the authors make such an option where you not are allowed to run addons I can’t understand? I can’t see the reason (but I’m not an expert).

So, what are my options then?
I want to install on an NUC with M.2 SSD and have Supervisor available to install and run addons…

The guides currently on the install page are only for RPi and SD…

5 Likes

Disappointed is an understatement. IMO, the most important install method just got blown up. The once great Hassio just became hardware dependent… and it would seem without much warning or community assistance requested.

23 Likes

You won’t get supervisor with what I suggested. Nor do I think it is necessary. Supervisor doesn’t bring anything I need.

Want other software? There is probably a Docker image for that.

Want to upgrade ha? docker pull.

Yes, it’s overkill, but supported. I don’t have the expertise to run and maintain a custom installation.

Apparently you have to run HA in a VM or some such thing.

Otherwise it’s as you said.

I think… It’s all happening pretty fast…

When you say it sits at the bios screen…What does it say?

Okie, but I assume the hassos suggested on the ‘home-assistant.io/hassio/installation’ contain Supervisor? Is that correct ?

Simply install HassOS aka Home Assistant I’m your NUC? Just like on the Pi

2 Likes

Holy Cow!

This is exactly the reason I asked if anyone from the main dev team even cared to ask which install methods should be maintained!

I will bet that most people who don’t run their HA on a Pi run a supervised install and just had the rug pulled out from under them…

25 Likes

Hi @pattyland, that is kind of my initial question - how do I install the ‘hassos_intel-nuc-3.13.img.gz’ image on my NUC with an M.2 SSD?

1 Like

yes, that is correct. It has the Supervisor and add-ons available.

I flashed the SSD in my NUC with Etcher like I flash my SD cards for Raspberry Pis. There are hundreds of other ways of course

Comment Removed.

2 Likes

The image is, and you have been told to open an issue haven’t you?

@finity - Well, my rug just went out the door.
Examples on the the installation page only show RPi on SD. AN SD card breaks after a while with heavy load of read & write. I would assume they want to move forward and make the system more robust. SD?
They should actually try to make people move AWAY from SD cards, they create to much hazzle for users in the long run…

I don’t know how to install hassos_image on a NUC with a SSD… :frowning:

9 Likes