[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Actually as simple as you sharing the code already give tons of help… just need to change the directory. It should be simple too… wondering why HASS.core sound very difficult to install with its addon…

In my case the most important addon:

1. portainer
  2. watchtower
  3. influx
  4. grafana
  5. motioneye
  6. tasmoadmin
  7. MQTT
  8. ESPHome

I install NGINX + certbot + docker + docker compose + glances using apt install and which is much flexible in terms of installations. Furthermore someone can also create a simple bash script to help this if needed. I install glances on my host OS just because I want to get the host info and not the docker info.

1 Like

that would essentially mean a rewrite of supervisor, because it’s exactly what it does. And some more. Supervisor does that, yes, plus it handles all the updates and upgrades, of HA AND of all the add-ons. Perhaps it’s a good idea to seperate all this functionality to keep things simple and manageable and maybe this can prevent the devs from having a burn-out. Just an idea…

you can just install watchtower to help us update our docker automatically. My hass is always up-to-date without doing my own upgrade

Just had a quick look. Looks good, but… Yes, this would fully automate upgrading HA and the add-ons, as thes are also separate containers. But when there are breaking changes in HA, which sometimes happens, you can end up having a broken system one morning without prior notice. Not good. I prefer to push the button myself, after i read the release notes. Then at least i know what will break when i do the upgrade.

EDIT: furthermore, there’s also the rest of the functionality of supervisor. It’s responsible for the updates, but it also installs new add-ons in HA when you click on one. Watchtower is only capable of keeping HA and add-ons up to date, but no more than that. If i would want to install a new add-on, i can’t because of missing supervisor. I think losing supervisor would also mean losing the entire add-on repo by the way.

Is it possible to reopen the vote? why close it?

Agree on that one problem with HASS is always breaking changes… But then again you are running docker so the simple way is to run portainer and install the old HASS back.

yeah correct. But i just added a small bit :slight_smile:
this part:
EDIT: furthermore, there’s also the rest of the functionality of supervisor. It’s responsible for the updates, but it also installs new add-ons in HA when you click on one. Watchtower is only capable of keeping HA and add-ons up to date, but no more than that. If i would want to install a new add-on, i can’t because of missing supervisor. A.f.a.i.k. losing supervisor would also mean losing the entire add-on repo by the way.

like finity said, point has been made.

Sorry if this has been covered - i couldn’t find anything in the thread. For those of us running on the supervisor, is it possible to move everything over to HassOs, or do we need to reconfigure from scratch. Also, is there any kind of guide out there?

Very sad about this decision. As others have mentioned, I would be happily pay an annual subscription fee to keep the supervisor.

TIA

before you do, theck this out:

futhermore, consider this: losing supervisor means losing your add-ons. Willing to do that?

untill we all know what HA team will do with supervised, i suggest you to do nothing.
If they’ll decide to maintain it, there will be no need to migrate.
TLDR;
HOLD.

1 Like

@Ghost_Buster They aren’t removing the supervisor entirely, it will still be used in Home Assistant OS.

@jwilliams you can take a snapshot of your current Supervised install, save it, and restore it in Home Assistant OS running on a Pi, NUC or in a VM.

Yes you’re correct. As long as the hardware is NUC-like, like embedded GPU etc. For instance, as a result of the upcoming changes of HA supervised i bought a Onlogic ML350G-10 with N4200 Apollo Lake CPU. Installed NUC image on mSATA disk and HassOS booted instantly.

I really hope that’s true, because i run HA in HassOS in docker on Linux. This is also called “supervised”.
I think the advice of Malaga82 is the best: HOLD until we know more.

in github, supervisor is being worked on now as we speak. Lets wait and see what happens.

That’s impossible.

HassOS is equivalent to Linux. So you either run Linux or HassOS. Not both.

If you are running supervised. You are running:

Linux → Supervisor → Home Assistant Core + Add Ons & other stuff.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it in fact be,

Linux ->Docker->Supervisor
               -> HA Core and Addons,etc

Not challenging you. Just confirming my understanding of the layers of a supervised generic Linux install.

if you want to get technical:

-> HA Core
linux -> docker -> Supervisor
                -> Addons
                -> etc

Each item is a docker container. So they are next to each other

5 Likes

Yup. I installed my generic supervised instance using the script and this thread has given me a great understanding of the building blocks of HA that I never took the time to learn. Thanks for the confirmation.

1 Like

too bad the poll already closed… :anguished:

I only heard about this survey now, but please, add my vote: long life to Home Assistant Supervised on Docker!!! Best solution at all!!!