[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Just reading this post and I run Home Assistant on generic Linux

I know that it is on hold. But I am still in shock. I feel very insecure now about my entire home control solution. I now seriously doubt if Home Assistant is the solution I should continue with. I am seeing on installation method after the other being removed and all that is left behind is Raspberry Pi images and virtual machines that are poorly documented and that I see people having problems with all the time.

I do not like the direction this project is taking. The proposal may be on hold but I can see the installation documentation has not been restored so it is only a matter of time.

I am pissed off and will consider my Nabu Casa subscription

4 Likes

That’s incorrect. There is also venv and docker.

I only pay for Nabu Casa as a gesture of support, I don’t use it’s features, so I am considering the same.

It was a mess. It is being re-evaluated and and defined where it was previously a free-for-all. If your distro of choice is Debian you should be in a good position.

There are going to be more relevant docs for running it as a virtual appliance as well. The ova files were initially just put out there and what you did with them was up to you. Over time they have become more popular and more community guides popped up created by users who had experience with ESXI, Proxmox, Virtualbox, etc. I was thrilled when I got a vmdk file converted and working in unRaid. I kept the generic linux VM at hand in case I wanted to go back but never did.

3 Likes

I have a feeling I will be in the same boat. Definitely not saying this will work for everyone, but I think I will end up sticking with the proxmox route. Set it up initially as a test so I could have a quick escape route if they decided to deprecate the generic install but so far the benefits far outweigh the extra overhead. I hope it continues to perform well (for me at least).

This statement shows, again, that you don’t even know what the topic and discussion is about.

there is no talk at all about getting rid of the “manager”. The “manager” is the supervisor in HassOS and Supervised installations. They aren’t getting rid of the supervisor. They are possibly (likely…?) only getting rid of the supervised installation method. All of the other versions of HA that use the supervisor won’t be affected at all.

You don’t need to run anything else on it. If you want to run something else on the machine then you can already do that by installing it either directly on the host OS or in another docker container.

And because of that you don’t need another OS inside of a VM. IOW, you don’t need to run HA on an OS inside a VM on another OS.

But why would you?

I really don’t get it. Why would you want to run a machine that then needs a VM on it so that you can run a different OS so you can run HA directly on that VM OS then brag that you can still run other stuff on that VM OS as well? :crazy_face:

Why not just eliminate the VM layer completely and run HA directly on the host OS? You claim that it’s dead simple and way better to do it that way but now we find out that you don’t even run it the way you are advocating for.

it’s a false distinction.

I can literally do the same thing with the docker cointainer.

and since it’s only a “mini OS” (as you call it) the entire image and resulting container take up way less disc space than the VM image and the VM itself on which you still have to install HA after that.

It truly makes no sense.

1 Like

Well supervisor is just one part of HASS installation methods. Easy? Not really, in my case most of the addon doesnt work as I expected.

So for me running Docker + HASS Core is been very easy. Add watchtower then boom my docker is updated. Again there are so many way that you can Install HASS, so just be blessed and find away to continue…

Heemm docker? Downside not being able to run anything else? What are you talking about?

I’m running Ubuntu/Raspbian machine and I combine my HASS docker with several other thing. It run perfectly in harmony with my other apps. NGINX + Certbots is running on OS just because I want to be able to control all my config etc. Glances is just because I want it to show the OS performance and not the docker container. Other than that the rest of Docker is amazing… combine with portainer + watchtower… I’m set. Never worried about reinstalling OS just because HASS did not compatilble with its dependencies. So again maybe you should begin to learn or maybe try Docker before you create a comment.

Just like everyone comment VM is running on top of other OS and you still need to manage the VM OS… Ouch…

1 Like

Unlikely, more likely that it’s pigeon held into specific Linux distro’s… like Debian.

1 Like

i have many addons as supervised on linux, and they are running fine.
Most are not official, so don’t expect that the problem is the supervised on linux itself.

1 Like

Wouldn’t recommend using watchtower with home assistant. That’s a good way to unexpectedly get burned by a breaking change.

7 Likes

Agree… but so far its ok on my end… hahahaha… yes I know, I know…

Not sure… but its never been a great experiences for me. Been trying it for several times, but end up going back to HASS.core

or ubuntu? :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t bet on it.

1 Like

IF debian will be the the right environment for supervised HA, will there be an official way how to install it?
(debian + HA). I am on ubuntu (but I don’t know much from linux) and I would like to be an official guide.

All of this is still in the works. Wait for an update to this post or a new blog post. I do not have a timeline. The best course of action at the moment is to sit tight and do nothing.

2 Likes

what do you mean by “it”? Debian? or HA after you get Debian installed on your own?

If it’s just installing Debian, you would install it pretty much the same way you initially installed Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is based on Debian so there’s not much difference in installing or running it.

mainly I was referring to HA. I am not sure which commands I should do.

The disadvantage of Debian over Ubuntu is that there is no ‘Debian’ distro for the Pi, but there is an Ubuntu Distro. Until HassOS supports external drives, HassOS image is a very unattractive install method on the Pi.

2 Likes

Nothing yet.