[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Hadn’t noticed that - is it recent? I did a trial install a while ago but not actually migrated. Why use the script then?

QCOW2 was in BETA for a while.

The script makes it easy more or less. Using the QCOW2 image requires some config which the script does for you to make things easier to get going.

1 Like

You should be able to install the proxmox addon and install other docker images (other software), as they do not touch the base OS.

This is what happens when you suddenly tell a large percentage of your user base that they are running an unsupported installation and give them no migration path to a supported one for 3 months. No commercial software company would be so foolish as to try that.

3 Likes

Not supported but works just as good for most Ubuntu configurations.

For now but that wasn’t what I was responding to. I see trouble coming for that given comments by one of the Devs…

1 Like

I’m also running on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS because I could not get Debian running on my 10th Gen NUC. Thunderbolt and NIC/WiFi did not work! Ubuntu (at least LTS) should be supported in my opinion.

3 Likes

Gotta install the correct libraries with Debian to get that to work during the install.

1 Like

I tried, but I can tell you that’s very hard without working network (drivers). Took me two days of trying and then I gave up and installed Ubuntu 20.04 server without any issues.

1 Like

There is an image that includes the drivers you could have installed instead of the default image.

One of the things I tried was installing using the non-free firmware install disk, but the drivers were not there

Hmm… that is odd. They were there for my nuc…

Also 10gen?

It’s an older celeron… not sure which gen.

I’m guessing the 10th gen drivers will eventually also end up in the non free firmware, but with every new CPU generation, the problem will turn up again for users that bought a new NUC.

Supervisor

|Version|235|
|Latest version|235|
You are running an unsupported installation.Learn More
RELOAD

Host system

Hostname hassio
System Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Docker version 19.03.12

Can someone explain me this I have a Ubuntu system, with docker and im still getting this message wasnt the docker supported one?

1 Like

apparently not… i have very similar setup

1 Like

Debian is the only officially supported generic linux OS for Home Assistant Supervised.

1 Like

But in docs it sais docker-ce is also?

You are running Home Assistant Supervised (you have supervisor, add-ons, snapshots, etc.) which runs in docker. However the supported install method is Home Assistant Core (No add-ons, snapshot, etc.) in docker. Home Assistant Supervised is on top of linux is only officially supported for Debian not Ubuntu.

Here’s a great overview.

You run “Supervised” on top of Ubuntu, which is only officially supported on top of Debian.