[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

There is plenty of other documentation there though.

@nickrout thanks for the pointer, but https://community.home-assistant.io/c/community-guides/51 does not seem to link to anything but the main page for me…

Also, this is in the same vein, CYA style: “Please note, guides provided in this section may be outdated/broken and are not supported by Home Assistant. Use these at your own risk.”

Thanks for all the help, I don’t mean to be ungrateful.
I have found an (outdated, but usable) guide on how to install appdaemon here: Installing AppDaemon on Ubuntu with virtualenv

(and sorry for hijacking this thread, if it could be more than it already is :slight_smile: )

I just got done migrating from HA OS to HA Core in Docker. I don’t know what all the fuss is about supervised. I’m loving the stripped down experience. I’m also really enjoying managing the docker environment in my own. If you can figure out how to get supervised running on your own OS, then why not just run core in docker?

1 Like

Because it’s honestly not as nice of an experience and has less features (without having to work for it), even for someone capable of running it as just core with docker addons. Ingress it just nice. Can I do it myself with nginx? Yes, I do that for all my non-ingress stuff, but ingress is just nice. Snapshots are nice. Not having to manage updating the OS, packages, Python etc is just “nice”.
I can do all of that myself if needed, but when I come home from work I don’t want to be doing more work. There’s nothing that running Core would make easier (for me), but there are plenty of things that running HassOS or supervised install does make easier (for me). But YMMV, so to each their own.

3 Likes

The new installer whatever it may be will give you the same result - Supervised on Debian 10, so there is no real point in waiting if you want to move. The guidelines are clear, they won’t change. Follow ADR-0014 - Install vanilla Debian 10, the dependencies and the install script.

If you are already running Supervised on Ubuntu, take a snapshot, install Debian, dependencies and the script, restore your snapshot. I say this will all honesty - if you can copy/paste and follow instruction, it will take you less than 1hr to completely migrate. I can do it about 30mins start to finish now as I’ve done it so many times writing and testing my guides. It’s really very easy, and fast.

If you aren’t confident in getting it right, swap out your OS drive for a fresh one, that way if you make a mistake, you can pop your Ubuntu drive back in and you’re up and running again.

3 Likes

I subscribe to nabu casa so don’t need to fiddle with ngnix. That definitely makes it easier. I will miss easily getting to the config files through ingress, but all my automations are in node-red now so I don’t mess with yaml all that much anymore. Plus I can get to them in a pinch through VPN and VNC on my phone.

I’m only a few hours in. I may change my mind the first time I bring all down doing something I shouldn’t do. So far I’m digging it.

I will say, it’s not like supervised was a cake walk either. At least in HA OS, I managed to crash and burn a few times over the year I ran it doing what I think was normal stuff like upgrading, etc. Only when it went down it took my whole pi with it. I’m kind of looking forward to the next crash, since bringing one container back up is so easy. I suppose its about the same with supervised on Linux?

2 Likes

I’m not worried about doing it right, but wondering why there is a new install script and documentation coming if the one we have now does everything right?

Do you think you will end up with some different version of Supervised?

I would assume instead of running a script, it may pull a container like installing an add-on, I am likely completely wrong. The installation steps will change, the end result won’t.

I have no idea. If I knew, I’d know what to do.

Who knows… it may even install the dependencies etc. I thought frenck said it was going to be easier and more automated… I doubt the end result will be any different. Who knows…

Yes, who knows. I don’t pretend to know all the moving parts well enough to say how significant it will be… But I don’t want any more little red messages telling me I’m doing anything wrong ;-).

I just found about this TODAY, Sept 9, 2020. Why, you ask? Because I had everything set up and all my automations working BEAUTIFULLY after spending countless hours LEARNING this crap. Why would I frequent the forums when I have little to issues? Then again, I’m hardly shocked that humans do things without considering THE consequences or inconvenience this would cause their fellow man. Way to go…:-1:t2:

Perhaps you need to read the post and note that the deprecation has been put on hold. ie: not getting deprecated. There’s no need to worry

2 Likes

Really not sure what you are going on about. Supervised install survives. In fact the official installer script had seven commits in August and two in September so far.

4 Likes

Hmm, I see this thread is now serving as a reading comprehension test.

10 Likes

Not getting deprecated…yet.

Because you might want to help contribute to the project by helping others instead of visiting to complain?

2 Likes

Why would you even post after just reading the thread title? There’s 1160 posts in this thread and the first post even says the deprecation is on hold… this was old news that was changed after the outcry.

1 Like

Saying this again

5 Likes