Only change brightness for powered on in group

Hi all,

I started investing more time in my HA installation again lastly. So right now I switched from controlling my lights through the Hue App and use HA only as I added some non-hue lights to my setup.

Now there is one thing thats a little bit inconvenient: When there is a group or a room in Hue with maybe 5 lights an 3 are turned on, when I change the rooms brightness, only the powered on lamps are effected. In HA when I change the brightness, all lamps are powered on and set to that brightness.

Is it possible to get a behaviour where I can control the whole rooms brightness without powering on lights that are off at that moment?

Kind regards

push

Nobody interested / having a hint?

It is really unconvenient. In the living room I have 5 lights. I watch TV and three of them are on. If I want to change brightness I would either have to click three lights and adjust three times or adjust the room an turn off the two lights that were off before.

Is there maybe an option to prevent powered off lights from accepting brightness adjustments?

I’m sure you could write an automation that expanded the group, identified the powered-on lights, then adjusted the brightness of those alone.

I don’t have any Hue lights. Post some code showing what they look like (states, attributes: perhaps a screenshot of Developer Tools / States for one of the lights) and how your group is set up.

This is not about Hue Lights, I control them through HA, together with non-Hue lights (i.e. WLED). it is HA behaviour to turn on all lights in the group when the brightness is set and I think that should be adjustable.

Of course one could write an automation but thats pretty overkill and would prevent me from using the standard lovelace card for the light.

I can’t believe that nobody has that use case - wanting to set brightness without turning powered off bulbs on.

I even found threads that make me believe this behaviour was different in the past as appearently turned off bulbs threw errors back then when trying to set their brightness.

Hi, have a look at this topic:

In Hue, in that case only the lights that were on last time would light up. Of course that would require some logic.

But I dont need that. It would be sufficient to me if in that case all bulbs light up or even none (have to switch on first). The only important thing would be that changing a rooms brightness (or color) should not affect powered off lights.

I think this might be better in the Featute Requests section and will move it.