Open Source Garage Door controller - integration request

Garadget pull was accepted, will be available in next release.

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/4031

3 Likes

Nice Job @JasonCarter80! Looking forward to testing. have 2 in the mail coming to me.

1 Like

Mine came today. I’ll get installed and let everyone know.

Very nice @JasonCarter80! Got my Garadget installed and got the garadget.py component up in running relatively quickly! On first test with the cover I was able to open and close the door with no issue. The Garadget app, however, is bit buggy, weird ???'s for values but overall it still opens and closes the door. I plan to keep testing things with this configured as a custom_component, but I cant wait for this to officially hit HASS with the next release. Thanks again @JasonCarter80

1 Like

Reporting back. The stop button doesn’t appear to be working. I cannot stop the door mid open or close. @JasonCarter80 can we collaborate on fixing this? Or to see what I did wrong?

@jcreynolds, thanks for testing the integration!

Can you please provide more info on buggy-ness of the app (iOS, Android, Web?) that you encountered?
Since it’s unrelated topic, please share the screenshot and additional info via PM or in Garadget forum.

Thank you.

@garadget or @JasonCarter80

Does this component work with a local connection only? Or does it still require a external connection of some sort to work?

Or in other words is the connection HA -> wifi/router -> garadget or does it require a connection to the web to work each time.

With current version of the firmware Internet connection is required. Support for direct LAN connectivity is on todo list.

1 Like

So, just to confirm, each open close command has to be routed through your server before it comes back to the garadget?

Yes, Particle’s server to be exact. In current firmware the device doesn’t accept any incoming connections, it knows how to securely authenticate and communicate with its server and doesn’t host any servers.

The plan to eventually implement optional local communication (which hardware can handle), but this needs to be done in the way that doesn’t compromise the security.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I love that a device manufacturer/developer is active on the forum.

1 Like

Love the interaction!
The open-source nature of the project, the community and developers is what makes it different.

1 Like

@JasonCarter80 Thanks for creating this component. It was by far one of the easiest to get running. Documentation was complete and even had the complete setup from additional sensors, groups and customization. It was really just a copy and paste job and add a password. Thanks for putting in the time!!!

3 Likes

@JasonCarter80, not sure if you’re still actively developing the @garadget integration. I’m currently using it at my end and have been having some issues as per the below:

I was able to successfully install and integrate Garadget with Hassio. I’m getting a weird behaviour though: A sporadic “garage open” alert followed a few seconds afterwards by a “garage closed” one tends to happen every few hours. I know the garage is NOT opening because the main Garadget application is not triggering an alert. So clearly something generating a false signal in the Hassio implementation.

I noticed that the following error messages appear in Hassio when the Open/Closed alert is triggered:

Update for cover.garage_door fails
October 24, 2018, 9:05 PM components/cover/garadget.py (ERROR)
Update of cover.garage_door is taking over 10 seconds
October 24, 2018, 9:05 PM util/async_.py (WARNING)
Unable to connect to server: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘api.particle.io’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v1/devices/ MASKED /doorStatus?access_token= MASKED (Caused by NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x6f9feef0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again’,))
October 24, 2018, 8:59 PM components/cover/garadget.py (ERROR)
Unable to connect to server: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘api.particle.io’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v1/devices/ MASKED /doorStatus?access_token= MASKED (Caused by NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x6f9585b0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again’,))
October 24, 2018, 8:57 PM components/cover/garadget.py (ERROR)

Is there a way to limit/calls the number of status calls in Hassio or define some timeout via the configuration preventing the sensor to signal a “door open/closed” loop each time a status request is made and not fulfilled?

I’m NOT using an MQTT implementation but rather your own integration.

Thanks a lot!

W.

Hello wzaatar, Have you found a solution for this issue? I’m using a DIY Opengarage.io and seems very similar issue. I was think that maybe could be wifi signal???

I’m asking because Im interested to buy a Garadged.

Cheers
Berto

Yes. Turns out the cloud implementation is causing all these error messages when the hassio plug-ins is sometimes trying to refresh the garage status. It happens if I’m using my connection extensively (simultaneous streaming, downloads, etc).

My solution was to switch to MQTT mode. It works perfectly in hassio. Make sure to set your garadget to MQTT only because the MQTT+cloud implementation is buggy.

1 Like