OpenGarage - open-source Wifi garage opener

Thanks, I’ve ordered another as I’m out of options

Make sure you try a different cable as well. Some USB cables simply won’t work.

A bunch of you have noticed the bug where HA can’t get to your device and HA incorrectly reports the door as open. I’ve fixed this and submiited a Pull Request to get this merged in.

1 Like

So I ordered another NodeMCU and it’s arrived. Unlike the previous one, this is a NodeMCU v3, which apparently is a vendor iteration. The one thing people should be aware of is that it’s a larger unit than the v2, so it doesn’t fit on the breadboard linked in the BOM above.

However, this one works! Well sorta. I’ve managed to flash the firmware, connect it to the wifi network and connect to the built-in web server. What I can’t do now is actually get the distance sensor to register anything or get the buzzer sounding.

Here’s a quick preview of how I have it wired. Won’t be able to reply until 24 hours from now, but appreciate any feedback in the interim!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Google Photos

Google Photos

See the wiring of v3 version here: OpenGarage - open-source Wifi garage opener

That’s what I’m working off - from doing some more research, I think it’s because I’m trying to use the + and - lines on the breadboard for the circuitry, which as I understand it is only for power and ground. The problem is the new NodeMCU takes the entire length of the rows (a to j) so I can’t use those.

Yes on those breadboards + and - rows are one bus (all connected together). You can use two breadboards together - remove one +/- row (they are removable) and slot the two together. Wider, but will give you lots of space to make connections.

It lives! I ended up cutting the breadboard in half! Easiest solution I thought. Question, everything appears to be OK, except the buzzer sounds continuously. It sounds over the continuous sound when I request the door to open, so I presume I’ve wired it correctly. Checked a few times.

I have a v3 NodeMCU.

Is it that kind of buzzer you are using?

It’s this one, which I think is the same

Pic 1

Google Photos

OK, so ditched the buzzer for the time being. My next (and also perhaps stupid) is which wires do I connect between the relay and the garage door unit? As I understand it, there is an NC (Normally closed), NO (normally Open) and C (common) on the relay. My opener has only a red and white (with them currently going to the wall opener (red/white to red and white to white). I understand that I need to connect from the relay to these same 2 on the opener, but which 2)?

Connect to common and normally open. It doesn’t matter which color wire goes to which.

1 Like

OK, it’s still not working. Just checking the opengarage.io page, it gives an option of adding a Add Security+ 2.0 Adapter, which I understand from some research is required where you have a yellow learn button. I have this Craftsman, so I presume I will need that adapter?

Have you tried to connect the relais to the terminal connector?

what is happening if you just shorten the connection for a second between white and red. Does is open/closes the garage door?

Yes, I’ve tried that. However, there is another factor at play here, which is that my garage door wall control (which connects to the same 2 places) also stopped working. I’ve ordered another one, so perhaps I should wait and see if that works and then test the opengarage unit. I suspect I may have connect the NC/NO/C incorrectly and shorted something out in the unit itself or the wall control button.

I’m pretty sure you’re going to need that Adapter, but not sure if you can buy it seperately. Another alternative would be to connect opengarage to one of your remotes instead. This would make the relay caused a button press on the remote.

Have it built and ready but does anyone else have trouble using the ESP8266Flasher on Windows 10? Keep receiving the “can’t run this app on this pc” message. Have 64bit and downloaded the 64 version of the app

I recall I struggled with that same flasher, eventually I found a download source other than Github and that worked. No idea why.

Alternatively, I have flashed it using the Arduino IDE, see here for details.

1 Like

Hi
Just wanted to thank @swbradshaw for this project and post some pics of my finished product. This was my first DIY project with the dev board so I just had to fight through the how to of flashing using the Arduino IDE but was pleasantly surprised when it all worked first time once flashed! Thanks again.

4 Likes

I too wanted to thank everybody on this thread who helped (and especially to @swbradshaw for the initial post), my biggest challenge was troubleshooting the button I needed to get the Security 2+ for my garage opener working. I also initially struggled with the buzzer, I ended up just not using this. Also (I think it was mentioned a couple times on this post), I had to get a small access point setup in the garage, as the NodeMCU wifi didn’t quite have the range to get to the other side of the house (a floor above too) and the connectivity was a bit sporadic.

Some pics (didn’t get the inside, but I can open it up if anyone is interested).

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

1 Like