OpenGarage - open-source Wifi garage opener

I have a little problem with my nodemcu opengarage.
On powerup unless I have the signal wire of relay unconnected the web front end will not be accessible.
If I start connected detach and then connect the signal wire it will work.
What could it be?

I just read through this entire thread. Thanks to everyone for their contributions and sharing code. I am new to Home Assistant and still working on a test bed.

What I do have working perfectly is a Blynk app and a Pi zero wireless connected to a 4 channel relay. One button momentarily triggers the door opener. I wired the relay to the pushbutton contacts on the wall.

Also, two more relays are used to operate a linear actuator that pushes the manual door latch through the opening in the guide rail thus preventing anyone from opening the door. Two may thugs around our parts these days. I don’t need the distance sensor to check if my car is in the garage because it never has been, but I do have it full of woodworking tools. I also have a Wyze camera positioned that allows me to check the status of the door latch (open or closed).

So my set up is a manual operation, but it works from anywhere I have internet access. My goal is to recreate my set up in HA. Thanks again for all the info shared.

1 Like

same issue. Solved?

unfortunately I never figured it out. I have to break out the ladder every time we lose power.

I read somewhere a “passive” relay would be needsd.
What relay do you have?
I know if there is a.beeper I know some time is spent beeping at start-up. Could this delay help the Wi-Fi to go up ? Do you have a buzzer?

Next step will be reading the sketch

I solved the Wi-Fi problem above .
Using this http://www.techydiy.org/keyes-sr1y-relay-module/
It works :slight_smile:

thanks, Got these coming from amazon and will give them a shot.

Meawhile my buzzer just peeps inaudibly … what model do you use ? Thanks in advance

You need a 9012 passive piezo buzzer. It’s blue/green rectangular board with a black cylinder buzzer on it. I didn’t specify the type in my original post, and this forum software won’t let you edit your post after a few days. (bummer!). If you use the search feature in this thread for “buzzer” you will see other users discuss the same thing.

Thanks . It’s on his way to my home :wink:
Strange enough it is listed as active on eBay.
The one I bought previously was a passive …
Will see

I set mine up, worked flawlessly for about 2 weeks, then it went on a constant rapid blinking. Unplugging from power and re-plugging did not fix it. Any ideas?

I used foam board for mine, not too bad looking

1 Like

I wanted to provide an update on the state of this component. I fixed a bug that @mLaupet described a couple months ago and submitted a Pull Request (#15397) last month to get this change released. Unfortunately, the Home Assistant reviewer rejected my change, and pretty much told me I need to rewrite the entire component to use a python library (which doesn’t exist). As I’m not a python developer and I wrote this on my free time (based on code for the Garadget component which is very similar), it looks like there will be no future updates to this, unless someone wants to make a library for it.

If you want the code for the fix, it’s currently in my github repository here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/swbradshaw/home-assistant/og-state-fix/homeassistant/components/cover/opengarage.py
You’ll put this opengarage.py file in /custom_components/cover/

2 Likes

For anyone having signal problems or the devices is showing as away from HA check your power supply.

I originally used a iphone power supply (5V 1A) and had constant disconnects and issues. I was about to uninstall mine out of frustration. I then saw a post about power supply.

I switched to an extra iPad power supply (5V 2.1A) I had and it has been rock solid ever since, not a single disconnect in a few weeks.

Yeah I had the same issue, and posted it on their forums, they really need to warn people about that. Their recommendation for 1A seems to be OK for good chargers but they are far and in between.

Great solution.

After a bit steep learning curve I managed to flash the nodemcu and mount the components on a small board (as per the tutorial).

I do have a problem with the sensor which doesn’t seem to be accurate.
You recommend using 5V (Vin) or 3V (3Ve)?

Also interested on a solution for a “package” to hold all together in a garage environment

Hi could you please tell me in more detail what that is (foam board?)

It’s a flimsy board made of foam and covered on both sides with a sheet of paper; Google image results shows them ($1 each at a Dollar Store). https://www.google.com/search?q=foam+board&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS788US788&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4yLX_tsLdAhWE71MKHeOjBXoQ_AUIDygC&biw=1280&bih=586&dpr=1.5

Thanks a lot, I installed one of these succesfully in my garage.

Since its so easy I want to use the same concept also for a simple relay switch (without the distance sensor and buzzer, just the relay).

Which would be a good firmware for it? I tried looking for hours on the web and could not find

@Klagio: You should look into Tasmota