Opentherm (OTGW) Node MCU unreliable

I have used the integrated OpenTherm gateway integration in 0.103.5 however the data taken from the OpenTherm GW seems unstable at best. The values appear in the display, but shift to unavailable / unknown. Then after about 20-30 seconds can appear again.

When looking at the data in the history view, it looks like little dot’s (single measurements) and it’s a dotted line.

I am using the NodeMCU / Serial integration over HTTP, directly integrating with HA.

The configuration is just a socket://192.168.88.123:6638 and the device is discovered. I had some isssues connecting to the device, but after a few attempts it connected.

I had set it up before, on Hass.IO and an older version of HA (from 3 months ago), there it worked fine and was very stable. Never saw any unknown data on the dashboard.

So any suggestions what is causing this intermittend behaviour?

Thanks,

Robert

Hmmmm, lots of timeouts on the OTGW, the log show this:
Disconnected: connection failed (socket disconnected)

12:53 main.py (ERROR) - bericht kwam voor het eerst om 1:23 en verschijnt 5070 malen

Timed out waiting for command: PR, value: P.

12:53 main.py (ERROR) - bericht kwam voor het eerst om 1:23 en verschijnt 2318 malen

Timed out waiting for command: PR, value: O.

12:53 main.py (ERROR) - bericht kwam voor het eerst om 1:23 en verschijnt 2031 malen

Timed out waiting for command: PR, value: S.

12:53 main.py (ERROR) - bericht kwam voor het eerst om 1:23 en verschijnt 1447 malen

Timed out waiting for command: PR, value: R.

12:53 main.py (ERROR) - bericht kwam voor het eerst om 1:26 en verschijnt 2180 malen

Timed out waiting for command: PR, value: M.

12:53 main.py (ERROR) - bericht kwam voor het eerst om 1:26 en verschijnt 1103 malen

Timed out waiting for command: PR, value: V.

12:53 main.py (ERROR) - bericht kwam voor het eerst om 1:24 en verschijnt 202 malen

Timed out waiting for command: PR, value: T.

12:53 main.py (ERROR) - bericht kwam voor het eerst om 1:27 en verschijnt 698 malen""

I am experiencing similar problems. Did you find a solution?

@rvdbreemen, using the otmonitor tool, everything worked fine.

Therefore, I have created a Supervisor (formerly HassIO) add-on with Ingress support.

See this repository on GitHub.

BTW I use the NodeShop version with a NodeMCU and ESPEasy R147 firmware.

I had a similar issue that was resolved by restarting Home Assistant. Found that tip here: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/opentherm-gateway-otgw-stability-issues/82515/9?u=hewo

@basnijholt thanks for sharing your solution. It builds on the idea to have a “serial” to MQTT parser somewhere. The issue I have with that is that you have a full eps8266 available, i was using ESPeasy R147 as well. The problem kept going, so I started to develop my own firmware.

Last week I had time to sit down and get it going, guess what. I build my own version of OTmonitor. It’s not done yet, but you can find the development tree here:

Last nights version publishes all OT messages in parsed format to MQTT. Next step is to build a bunch of MQTT templates in my HA config to integrate it with Home Assistant.

1 Like

Is there any solution for this problem already? I’m still getting more unavailable’s than values for the OTGW :frowning:

Have you tried using the otmonitor Supervisor add-on https://github.com/basnijholt/addon-otmonitor/?

Hi @basnijholt. Yeah I tried that. Wasn’t aware of the MQTT and relay function (Installed it in a rush). Just tried to use the MQTT variant, no luck (Climate Control indicates 0). When using the relay function, do I use the ip address of the Home Assistant instance or the address of the nodeMCU connected to OTGW?

Thanks

HI @rvdbreemen, I stumbled upon this topic as I am having continued problems with the opentherm gw too. This is prohibiting me to take the leap from watching my downstairs thermostat, to actively controlling the boiler based on my Eurotronic spirit valves in all my other rooms.
I’ve been toying with the idea of building a piece of software to run on the NodeMCU, and it looks like you already started that effort.
After installing your firmware, I see is a bunch of (binary)sensors based on the OTGW chatter which is great even though they don’t show up under the mqtt integration for lack of unique_id’s in the config messages. What doesn’t click for me, is how to set up a thermostat card based on these sensors. Could you shed some light on that?

Over the last year I worked on my version of the OTGW firmware. It can now publish over MQTT, it uses MQTT Auto Discovery so it integrates without any worries with Home Assistant, had a build in Climate Control and also offers you a REST API to work with. A stand alone webUI to manage the configuration and have a stand alone UI for monitoring the OTGW function from any device.

You can find my solution here:

Last December I released v0.9.x version. That has been the most stable and reliable version yet.

Hope you enjoy it and just let me know if you miss anything.

Regards
Robert