OpenZWave (beta): Custom Device .xml Files?

Apologies. I had so many tabs open, i checked the wrong one

No problem. It’s essentially the same as zwave except with different data fields. Assuming this is Central Scenes we’re talking about, I recommend using scene_id and scene_value_id instead of the string equivalents. The scene_value_id values are also standardized so they don’t differ between devices.

1 Like

What is the status of custom device XML files as of December 2020? I have a couple of Heatit/Thermofloor thermostats that are not added correctly in HA. Is there a way to fix this manually with the OpenZWave beta addon?

Not an easy way, BUT you could submit the fixed XMLs to the OpenZWave github repo and get them merged. That’d fix your issue upstream which would fix it for anyone with that device.

True. But first I’d have to test the config files to see if they work. Is there a way for me to do that?

Not easily with the addon, you have to figure out how to access the container’s filesystem.
Then it should just be a matter of locating ozw/config

That’s what I’ve been struggling with finding a solution for for several days. Do you know how I can do this with the addon?

Sadly, I do not.

After struggling with this off and on for months, I finally figured out a reasonable way to test config changes with HA before trying to upstream them.

1. Disable the OpenZWave addon in the Supervisor

2. Run the qt-openzwave container in docker outside of the supervisor by connecting it to your existing MQTT server.

This can be run on any machine on the LAN.

The docker commands are here: https://github.com/OpenZWave/qt-openzwave#using-the-all-in-one-image.

When specifying the /opt/ozw/config volume, put the directory somewhere you can access.

You need to make sure the network key is the same as your existing one (found on the config page of the OpenZWave addon).

The MQTT login can either be your HA username / password, or a separate login that can be specified in the Mosquitto addon config.

1. Make sure that you can control all of your devices with HA. This may take some time as the network initializes. You can watch the progress with ozw-admin on the web port.

2. Stop the qt-openzwave container

3. Modify config files. The volume directory that you specified should now contain a full config directory. Add / modify anything that you need. You may need to change file / folder permissions depending on how the directory was created.

4. Delete ozwcache_* in the volume.

5. Restart qt-openzwave container

You should now be running your custom device files.