Owl Intuition pv & Home Assistant

Hmm maybe then it’s not enough. You could try with 1 or even 0 (that is the listening loop is called each time update() is called on the sensor), but if it really follows right after, chances are that it will still be missed.

And indeed my other approach would be the solution: the proxy would listen all the time and buffer any incoming data for HA updates.

I suspect it will still be missed. If you look at my datagrams, I am not sure how the timestamp units work but you can see the solar is 1 unit after the electricity.

The multicast python code I posted earlier in the thread runs on a separate windows pc and adds the 2 datagrams together then picks out the bits I need and puts them the mqtt database on hassio

I suppose it’s a proxy of sorts, it never misses anything but I really want it all on one machine. I suspect if I tried to run it in hassio it would halt everything, that’s if I could figure out how to do it.

I have disabled your add-on for now, I am glad to hear that you are looking to work on it again in the future.

I confess I didn’t notice the 1-unit == 1-second difference in the two datagrams, so yes, even with 0 there’s some chance the second datagram is missed.

Your code is a proxy of sorts indeed, my idea would be to do the same (no need to stick datagrams together though) and let my sensor connect to it and fetch the data as needed. In the meanwhile you may look into running your proxy in the same box where hassio runs and consume the data, so to get rid of the Windows PC - eventually, my proxy would be required to run “next” to HA, and my sensor would connect to it.

I gave this another go and thought I would feed back, with the time at 0 and 0.1 - it still doesn’t pick up the solar often enough. It is better but when home assistant is starting up, the “not everything will be available message” took ages to disappear with this short time. I also noticed that the timestamp on the battery data was older than the electricity readings, like it is missing them somehow.

Just wish I could find a way to make it read the UDP in a batch. Both UDP are always 1 sec apart

Thanks for the feedback. Interestingly, the user that provided me with the solar datagram at the time did not have such ‘synchronised’ input - and in general, batching is not really an option because there’s no guarantee another datagram comes so quickly after a first one. I really have got to write a proxy…

1 Like

Hi
Firstly, thank you for the work that has gone into this integration. I am new to home assistant and trying to get this integration to work. I have followed all the instructions and cant get this to work:

Here the the configuration file:

#Owl configuration

sensor:

• platform: owlintuition

port: 3200

host: localhost

mode: monophase

monitored_conditions:

• electricity

If I add in the IP address of home assistant in I cant see any OWL sensors. I used local host instead and can now a card but the values are all coming back as Unknown.

I got one of the lads at work to check to make I installed this correctly. Did the setup online using port 3200. Now stuck :frowning:

Cant see anything in the logs / don’t know what to do next.

Please help

Thanks

Andy

Hello Andy,

To start disentangling issues, I’d suggest to check that the host where you run Home Assistant is actually able to receive the UDP data sent by OWL. I had posted some test code earlier, but for convenience I’ve just pushed it in the same repo, linked from the README.md file. Could you please try and execute it?

And otherwise, how do you run HA? I run it as a docker container in “bridge” mode, so to be able to listen to all traffic from outside.

Cheers,
Giuseppe

Hello,

Sorry i having a basic problem getting it installed. Im running HA in docker i ran the setup commands inside the docker terminal. When i insert the config in the yaml i end up with

Platform error sensor.owlintuition - Integration ‘owlintuition’ not found.

I think possibly the files are ending up in the wrong place or not all of them as in the custom components folder correctly. ive resarted ha. Ive attached a screenshot

Thanks All. Excited about getting my solar stats in HA.

Your files are in a different place to mine

Try putting all those files and folders in

custom_components/owlintuition/

yaml starts with

- platform: owlintuition 
    host: 192.168.0.199
    port: 4321
    monitored_conditions: 
         - electricity
         - solar        
1 Like

Thanks i was just a bit nervous i have moved them all over ( i didnt have permissons so had to sudo which was probably not the correct thing to do ! )

But everything is working now. Love to @glopresti for the integration so happy !

1 Like

Can anyone help? This integration used to work for me however it stopped working a few months ago.

I went to the OWL website and it says I need to pay a subscription to view the stats.

Does this mean that this integration wont work for me now or is it coincidence?

Just in case, did you deploy the latest manifest with the version?

Anyway, I seem to remember that a firmware update from owl some years ago basically enforced that no data is pushed without active subscription. Anyone else maybe can confirm?

Data is still pushed via multicast without a subscription and my method is still working for me, I just run the proxy code on another server and it publishes the updates to mqtt so I can setup mqtt sensors.
I think it is still pushed to the last IP setup in the config too but you would need to have a subscription to access the config to change that IP or turn on data push or you could try using the API to change it.

Last time I tried this integration it randomly picked up either the electricity or solar datagrams. They are pushed immediately after each other. My method joined them first so they both update.

1 Like

I’ve started having an issue with the Owl integration where the solar generation doesn’t update regularly in HA, sometimes will say unknown and won’t update for days and then all of a sudden it will start showing solar generation again. This only seems to be with solar sensor and not the energy consumption sensor.

I know it’s not an issue with the Owl device as I can open the Owl app on my phone and it’s reporting fine on there at all times. The Owl custom component is fully up to date and so is HA, any ideas?

A HA reboot doesn’t typically fix it, I just need to wait and eventually days later it seems to get an update.

1 Like

I have the same issue - sorry cannot suggest a solution.

Mine has gotten much better recently. I haven’t made any changes besides updating HA along the way,. I’ll still get the unknown after a HA reboot but it picks up the data relatively quickly now.

Hi guys,

Following more tests (see https://github.com/custom-components/sensor.owlintuition/issues/18) I just committed a patch where I totally removed the throttling that makes the integration miss some UDP packets. This did not seem to work in the past but now it did. Would you give it a try?

I acknowledge that a proper solution would be a fully async loop but I don’t have time now to try again that route (hopefully with the huge developments in HA it may work whereas it didn’t a few years back when I tried). The proxy is an alternative still on the table.

BTW the latest version correctly reports the data for the new Energy Management feature in HA :wink: so please also update HA to 2021.9+!

Thanks,
Giuseppe

Resurrecting this thread as there seems to be an issue with the latest version of the HA Core breaking the Owl Intuition Integration.

This occurs when moving to Core version 2023.5.0 from 2023.4.6.

The problem is that the heating and hot water status are displayed as unknown, also the battery levels do not show up.

Looking at the logs there is an error

ValueError: Sensor sensor.owl_intuition_hotwater_battery has device class None, state class measurement unit None and suggested precision None thus indicating it has a numeric value; however, it has the non-numeric value: High (<class 'str'>)

When rolling back to version 2023.4.6 I can see that the error already exists but as a warning. i.e.

Sensor sensor.owl_intuition_hotwater_state has device class None, state class measurement and unit thus indicating it has a numeric value; however, it has the non-numeric value: Standby (<class 'str'>); Please update your configuration if your entity is manually configured, otherwise report it to the custom integration author.

Sensor sensor.owl_intuition_heating_battery has device class None, state class measurement and unit None thus indicating it has a numeric value; however, it has the non-numeric value: Medium (<class 'str'>); Please update your configuration if your entity is manually configured, otherwise report it to the custom integration author.

Sensor sensor.owl_intuition_heating_state has device class None, state class measurement and unit None thus indicating it has a numeric value; however, it has the non-numeric value: Comfort (Up To Temperature) (<class 'str'>); Please update your configuration if your entity is manually configured, otherwise report it to the custom integration author.

Sensor sensor.owl_intuition_hotwater_battery has device class None, state class measurement and unit None thus indicating it has a numeric value; however, it has the non-numeric value: High (<class 'str'>); Please update your configuration if your entity is manually configured, otherwise report it to the custom integration author.

This suggests that a change has been made in the latest core that no longer tolerates the condition that used to just generate a warning.

These sensors do return text so the error makes perfect sense but I don’t really know how to fix this being very new to HA so I’m wondering if anyone else has had a look at how to resolve this.

I’ve just updated from 2023.4.6 to 2023.5.1 and I then received an email about this thread. My owl generation is working but my solar exports are not. Unfortunately I don’t have the sills to fix this. But if someone does, that would be great. Thx.

1 Like

Hello guys,

I didn’t have a chance to upgrade myself but the errors are pretty clear. I’ve opened Upgrade HA to 2023.5.0 from 2023.4.6 produces error · Issue #25 · custom-components/sensor.owlintuition · GitHub and I’ll try and have a look soon.

3 Likes