OwnTrack vs Locative

hi guys,

Which one is a better and why?

Nobody use locative?:smiley:

I have not used Locative but do use OwnTracks.
OwnTracks is mostly reliable but I have found out that using two forms of tracking works better.
I use OwnTracks with an iBeacon and also use the Ping component and with both of these combined presence detection is very reliable so far.

To see how to combine two or more forms of Presence Detection see Presence detection with multiple devices & multiple trackers

This tracks our two Android phones and the iBeacon is located at the front door.

Would you mind share this part from your config?
I am new here and at the moment I use OwnTracks and many times I have fars data. Example my missis is never at home just when I say please update on your app :smiley:

I use mqqt server (cloudmqtt.com), what do you think it safe to use? I dont have any mqqt device. I planning to buy few iBeacon but thats all.

For OwnTracks Android App I use the following configuration.
Preference > Advanced
Locator foreground accuracy = High
Locator background accuracy = High
Locator background displacement = 50
Locator background interval = 15
All other settings on this screen are default

I have set up a Region called -home with my home address Lat and Long and a radius of 100 then entered my Beacon UUID and activated Share.
The region is -home as I have a Zone set up in HASS called home.

These are the key settings in the OwnTracks Android App and work reasonably well for me.

Setting in HASS configuration.yaml to track multiple Presence components is the same as the ones in the link in my previous post so just work through these adding the number of components you need.

Security on OwnTracks has not been a concern for me.

Hope this helps.

1 Like