OZWCP sees Z-Stick and all devices work - HASS does not see the Z-Stick

Hi there,
been trying to get Z-stick up and running with HA. AIO fresh install. Got Wemo, Hue, Lifx and Sonos working.
Aeotec Z stick is recognised in the OZWCP and am able to use all paired devices. But cannot get it to work in HA.

my configuration is as:
zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
config_path: /srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/libopenzwave-0.3.1-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config
polling_interval: 60000
autoheal: false

did check the ttyACM0 path

homeassistant.bootstrap: Error during setup of component zwave
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/openzwave-0.3.1-py3.4.egg/openzwave/option.py”, line 72, in init
raise ZWaveException(u"Can’t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/traceback.py”, line 181, in format_exception
return list(_format_exception_iter(etype, value, tb, limit, chain))
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/traceback.py”, line 146, in _format_exception_iter
for value, tb in values:
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/traceback.py”, line 125, in _iter_chain
context = exc.context
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘context

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

logs :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py”, line 102, in _setup_component
result = component.setup(hass, config)
File “/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zwave.py”, line 308, in setup
default_zwave_config_path),)
File “/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/openzwave-0.3.1-py3.4.egg/openzwave/option.py”, line 75, in init
raise ZWaveException(u"Error when retrieving device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: ‘Zwave Generic Exception : Error when retrieving device /zwaveusbstick : [‘Traceback (most recent call last):\n’, ’ File “/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/openzwave-0.3.1-py3.4.egg/openzwave/option.py”, line 72, in init\n raise ZWaveException(u"Can\‘t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))\n’, ’ File “/usr/lib/python3.4/traceback.py”, line 181, in format_exception\n return list(_format_exception_iter(etype, value, tb, limit, chain))\n’, ’ File “/usr/lib/python3.4/traceback.py”, line 146, in _format_exception_iter\n for value, tb in values:\n’, ’ File “/usr/lib/python3.4/traceback.py”, line 125, in _iter_chain\n context = exc.context\n’, “AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘context’\n”]’

Can seem to figure out where its gone wrong.

How exactly? What method did you use?

Did you use:

ls /dev/ttyACM*

Use code tags when posting config snippets and errors.

ls /dev/ttyACM*

I used this at root on my pi and it returned

/dev/ttyACM0

Also in OZWCP - when i add the path and hit on initialise the control panel recognises the Z-stick and i’m able to control all of my paired devices from the CP.

@AlucardZero’s suggestion of formatting your config snippet is correct, but I think if the issue was in your config we’d be seeing a syntax error and that’s not what’s in those errors.

First up - thanks a million both you guys for taking the time to support the community…including noobs like me.

i’m not sure if it is a format issue. When ever i make a change to the configuration.yaml file, i run the code in

http://www.yamllint.com

to check if there are format errors. still stuck - :frowning:

Yeah and like I said, the error would have been a syntax error. This looks to me (disclaimer, not a coder) like HASS isn’t seeing the stick at the specified USB port… I’m not sure what’s going on though. Grabbing at straws; could you try moving the stick to another physical USB port and seeing if it still shows in OZWCP then check HASS again?

hey - thanks for the prompt follow-ups mate…when i physically switched the USB port - the z-stick still shows in /dev/ttyACM0 and I’m still able to access the z-stick via the OZWCP. hmmm stumped… !

@nashlib it is quite possible that your stick uses a different port as it switches from HASS to OZWCP. I have run into that from time to time. The easiest way to deal with that is to create a udev rule to automatically choose the port. There are links in the forum here and I will have a search and post one.

Here is one
https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/PersistentUSBDevices

my udev rule file for an Aeon Labs Zstick Gen 5
create a new file
vi /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usb-serial.rules and add the following.
SUBSYSTEM==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“0658”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“0200”, SYMLINK+=“zwave”
That rule will create a symlink from whatever port the zstick uses to /dev/zwave. Chenge your configutration to point to /dev/zwave and reboot.

1 Like

I just saw a thread on this a couple of days ago here:

Yaaaay, my thread might actually be of help, LOL

1 Like

This isn’t the first time you’ve helped @StormStrikes - you’ve helped me indirectly with at least one of your answers in another thread! (But it is a good feeling right?)

Oh yeah, indeed!