Panic: interface conversion: interface is nil, not string

problem fixed using downgrade to an older version core-ssh:~# hassio ha update -o “version=0.72.1”

same issue from 74.0 ->74.1 64 bit OS

I am running 0.73.1 and cannot upgrade either manualy or automatically. Been like this for several weeks.

I’m also getting the same messages, I’m trying to upgrade from 0.73.2 to 0.74.2.

Only seems to work if I delete the database file prior to running the update. Doesnt like the db from the snapshot

This started happening to me today. Did a restart of HA and it did not recover. Tried to start from CLI and I get the same error as above.

I am running ResinOS from USB and I swap drives over every so often. With USB you have to change a few files an expand partitions before you can reinstall Hassio so it takes a little longer. With it all up and running I restored from the latest snap shot and bang it was doing it again.

Currently running off the other USB drive whilst in work so am up and running at least.

I have just moved over to MariaDB so think I still have the old home-assistant_v2.db file - will try deleting that and then using an older snapshot if I cannot get it to work.

Tried everything today to get this working to no avail. Have reflashed it ready to install again tomorrow.

Makes me very nervous when I update or restart the current working version. Lets hope we find a working cure for this very soon.

UPDATE
3rd time lucky - Flashed a new USB drive and using a new snapshot from the working config I was able to restore successfully. When I chose the restore file I unticked Home Assistant: at the top and left everything else ticked, chose wipe and restore then left it to have our evening meal then had an alert to say that Home Assistant had restarted so I knew it was up and working. Needed to remove MariaDB and intall it again to get recorder etc working but it seems to be running as planned on this new USB drive :grinning:

Hi all,
today i have the same issue without changing nothing on Ha

core-ssh:~# hassio ha start
ERROR
panic: interface conversion: interface is nil, not string

goroutine 1 [running]:
panic(0x2c7050, 0x1070a880)
        /home/travis/.gimme/versions/go1.7.6.linux.amd64/src/runtime/panic.go:500 +0x33c
github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/helpers.DisplayOutput(0x107c8200, 0x24, 0x200, 0x0)
        /home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/helpers/common.go:118 +0x3c8
github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/helpers.ExecCommand(0x2f6f83, 0xd, 0x7ee63e65, 0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x76500, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, ...)
        /home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/helpers/common.go:155 +0x308
github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command.CmdHomeassistant(0x10786420)
        /home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/homeassistant.go:48 +0x540
github.com/urfave/cli.HandleAction(0x2af768, 0x324b14, 0x10786420, 0x0, 0x0)
        /home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:503 +0xf0
github.com/urfave/cli.Command.Run(0x2f6f83, 0xd, 0x0, 0x0, 0x40bd10, 0x1, 0x1, 0x301e4d, 0x2f, 0x0, ...)
        /home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/urfave/cli/command.go:165 +0x6b8
github.com/urfave/cli.(*App).Run(0x107b2380, 0x1070a120, 0x3, 0x4, 0x0, 0x0)
        /home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:259 +0x8b0
main.main()
        /home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/main.go:22 +0x108

Also after HA upgrade if i do a check i have an md5 error

core-ssh:~# hassio ha check
ERROR
ERROR:root:code for hash md5 was not found.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/hashlib.py", line 243, in <module>
    globals()[__func_name] = __get_hash(__func_name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/hashlib.py", line 113, in __get_builtin_constructor
    raise ValueError('unsupported hash type ' + name)
ValueError: unsupported hash type md5
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", mod_spec)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 377, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 352, in main
    args = get_arguments()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 85, in get_arguments
    import homeassistant.config as config_util
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/config.py", line 15, in <module>
    from homeassistant import auth
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/auth/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    from homeassistant import data_entry_flow
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/data_entry_flow.py", line 5, in <module>
    from .core import callback
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py", line 42, in <module>
    import homeassistant.util.location as location
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/util/location.py", line 10, in <module>
    import requests
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
    import urllib3
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .connectionpool import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 29, in <module>
    from .connection import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 39, in <module>
    from .util.ssl_ import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/util/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    from .ssl_ import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py", line 8, in <module>
    from hashlib import md5, sha1, sha256
ImportError: cannot import name 'md5'

having the same issue since upgrading to 0.76… downgrading does not help

I have had it a few times since but a reboot of the Pi clears the issue. Still not as stable as booting from SD Card but I rather use USB for now.

I fixed my problem. There was just an error in my config. Make sure to check the home-assistant.log :smiley:

1 Like

Hi All,

TLDR; Turn off mDNS reflection or disable “Enable Multicast DNS” on your router / gateway.

I was having the same issue today. I moved everything over to a new SD card, and got everything back up and running again, but the root cause had nothing to do with the pi. Like @uproden said, there seems to be an mDNS issue with mDNS replication over multiple VLANS. I personally don’t use PFSense, but rather use the UniFi line of products, including a USG and UniFi Acess points. If I enable “Enable Multicast DNS” under Settings > Services > mDNS, the error comes up, and the web ui does not work. Turning that back off, everything boots up and works fine.