PC main board and CPU advice

Hi.
I want to build a SFF PC that will be able to run HA and Frigate with about 12x 1080 cameras. I was thinking of a Z690 Mini-ITX and 12th gen CPU.

1. Which CPU can take care of both HA and Frigate with the cameras (I will be using Google coral)?
  2. Can HAOS be installed onto new Z690 boards or should I use a VM on Windows?

This board for example, has everything I need including dual NIC and a Key-E M.2 socket for the Coral. ASRock > Z690M-ITX/ax

Thanks.

1. Which CPU can take care of both HA and Frigate with the cameras (I will be using Google coral)?

Any 12th gen intel with built in graphics is going to be plenty capable of running HA + Frigate in this way

1. Can HAOS be installed onto new Z690 boards or should I use a VM on Windows?

It can be, do keep in mind if you would want to store frigate recordings on a network share or different storage drive to the one that the OS is on, you won’t be able to do that with HA OS. Windows VM would probably be the worst possible option to go with.

If the above mentioned limitation is not an issue for you then HA OS is probably fine, otherwise installing in linux and then running Frigate in docker along with HA in docker or VM would be preferred.

1 Like

@Shafiro - a 12th gen metalbox running only HAOS directly would be (way) under-utilized. As such would recommend a slightly different approach to the above: Install proxmox on the metal, and use proxmox for VM and containers.
Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 7 - Community Guides - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)
tteck/Proxmox: Proxmox Helper Scripts (github.com)
… so that you get best of both worlds.

I have read it somewhere that people successfully put frigate in a linux VM, in Proxmox, with Coral pass-through.

You may have misunderstood what I was suggesting, as I am saying the same thing that running HA OS directly wouldn’t be a good utilization. “installing in linux and then running Frigate in docker along with HA in docker or VM would be preferred.”

If going to use VMs then sure proxmox works, I personally just run everything in docker on my Unraid NAS and am very happy with that.

Thank you for your time and great help. Appreciate it.

1 Like

Thank you for your time and great help. Appreciate it.
Running in docker will be easier for me.

1 Like