PC power and shutdown

Hello,

I am looking for a way to turn my pc on and off with Home Assistant. I have tried using WoL and RFC shutdown, but the problem is WoL only works while the PC is either on sleep mode or hibernate, so if I shut it down via RFC shutdown I won’t be able to power it up using WoL. Prior to using home assistant I have used Blynk with and ESP8266 and a relay connected to my motherboards power pins. I would like to do something similar but I’d also like to be able to see the status of the PC (for example the switch updates to ON) if I power it up manually.

So my idea is to create a switch that triggers the relay for 1 second when toggled ON, and also updated to status ON is I power the PC via his Power Button. When toggled OFF, the switch usses RFC shutdown to power off the PC, and also updates to status OFF if I power it off via the power button or manually through windows shutdown.

Hope that I’ve been clear enough with what I am trying to achieve. Any ideas on where to start looking or on how I should approach this?

Thank you!

Have a look at IOT link, it should give you what you want and much more …

Note that the WOL integration doubles as a binary_sensor based upon pinging an IP address.
Personally, I assigned a static address to my PC at the DHCP level, and just use the wol sensor to know if the PC is ON or OFF/sleeping.

Check to see if there is a WoL setting in your BIOS. Enable it if there is.

I think the OP means you cannot WOL from OFF (unless that is something, nowadays :wink: )

Yes it is. Some BIOS implementations support WoL from the off state.

2 Likes