Persistant USB names

Lol dammit. ok that makes sense now. i did wonder why i would be seeing something different to everyone else.

Is there a specific type of key i should be generating. I ahve created a ssh-1 RSA key. uploaded it and using the private key through putty i cannot login. gives me an error “disconnected no supported authentication methods available”

I got it finally.

if you save the public key from puttygen then the file has lines in it. which doesnt work. if you copy and paste the key into the file on one line then it works.

ill make a video at some point soon to explain it all in case anyone needs it in the future.

Been playing with hassbian for awhile, just switch to hass.io. I did have my zwave running on /dev/ttyACM0 and now it is /dev/ttyACM1.

I was trying to get rid of my zwave Linear garage door. Got tired of the barrier issue and wanted to play with OpenGarage. After removing the node and it kept showing in configuration, I restarted HASS. When it came back up the zwave did not configure. It did not configure because now it is showing as ACM1 instead of ACM0. I found the ACM1 by following instructions on locating the zwave controller with Hass.io. Is this expected.
While running hassbain I did use udev to add a rule to make it /dev/zwave.
Reading down this thread I saw where it looks like you can do the same by using the host ssh to get around docker. Is this correct?

I have made this an issue on github.
https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio/issues/261
I have the same trouble with a DSMR and RFXTRX. I believe this breaks all installations that have more that 2 or more devices that use ttyUSBX.

Thanks for filing it. It is very annoying. I too would like to see this fixed.

1 Like

Having issues where usb zwave stick changes from ACM0 to ACM1 on reboot.

If I follow you correctly, with the “ls -al /dev/serial/by-id” output as below, would my config then be “/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00”?

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Feb  8 23:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Feb  8 23:08 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Feb  8 23:08 usb-0658_0200-if00 -> ../../ttyACM0

I’m sorry but running hass.io you can’t run this command in the docker.

1 Like

I’m running HASSBIAN, and “/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00” seems to do the job, after multiple reboots, zwave still functional.

Thanks

I updated from 0.66 to 0.68 and now /dev/serial/by-id/foo doesn’t work any more anybody else has the problem? I also opened an issue under:

https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio/issues/456

Still working for me with 0.68.1 on a PI 3B.

Okay, than maybe it’s due to a change und docker itself. Thx for the info

So it turned out to be an ArchLinux issue in my case. A reboot solved it.

I’m facing a similar issue with the exception of I’m running HASSIO on top of docker. With this setup, /dev/serial/by-id isn’t passed into the hassio container, nor are any symlinks that I can tell.

Has anyone gotten persistant USB names when using HASSIO and docker?

thanks

I actually do have it with hassio on x86 on arch linux based.

I’ve been dealing with this and I finally got to solve it. It is as simple as:

Most of the Chinese cheap devices that come with an USB to serial chip like CH340/CH341, do share the same device info: Next follows a dump for my Wemos mini which is exactly the same as a RS485 to USB adapter and an Arduino nano clone.

Name: None
Description: USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM12)
hwid: USB VID:PID=1A86:7523 SER=5 LOCATION=1-1
serial_number: 5
manufacturer: wch.cn
product: None
interface: None

That makes second and next devices to be attached to my RPI not recognizable by id.
Editing usb-serial.rules within development root ssh console does not solve the problem as there’s no way to differentiate them, even by serial number, as it is exactly the same.
The only way is to find alternative devices that do not share the same device data, then they’ll appear in /dev/serial/by-id/ with diferent names. I simply changed my Arduino Nano clone for a Arduino Micro clone that uses another chip and then I got:

• /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Arduino_LLC_Arduino_Micro-if00
  • /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB2.0-Serial-if00-port0

I hope this helps!

1 Like

So what is the soultion under hassos to get the USB I’d ?

You can get the ID from Supervisor > System > Hardware. It will be under the serial section

and how do i use this path to define settings in HA?

What device are you trying to use?