Persons reporting unknown

Then you gotta delete the one you created in the UI. This is what @flamingm0e was trying to tell you but you were dismissing.

1 Like

I didnā€™t complain. What would you like me to show you??

ok so since IĀ“m a novice in Home Assistant, I wouldnā€™t know what happens I delete the only user I have so thatĀ“s why I tried other alternatives, my intentions were not bad, and I didnā€™t think that making a change to those files was so critical so again, I apologize for posting my solutionā€¦

and on the other hand, I was confused since in the documentation stated to add the person entity to the configuration.yaml but the user was an existing user and when i did it, I got the duplicated entity issue (canā€™ recall the exact message)ā€¦

Iā€™m using OpenHab right now as my primary smart home hub, I give it a shot to Home Assistant and i found that itĀ“s waaaaaaay better and easier but I have to learn a lot, for now I wonĀ“t mess with those files againā€¦

Persons arenā€™t users. You can tie them to users, but they arenā€™t users themselves.

I never said they were.

Thereā€™s no reason to apologize for that. I donā€™t understand why you are reading my messages with malice. There is no malice. I asked a question, you answered, I provided the proper ways of doing itā€¦itā€™s a learning process.

It was an existing PERSON because you had ALREADY created it in the front end. The PERSON existed and all management of that PERSON should be handled in the frontend. It is not a user.

This integration is by default enabled, unless youā€™ve disabled or removed the default_config: line from your configuration. If that is the case, the following example shows you how to enable this integration manually:

Then there is the next section

If you prefer YAML, you can also configure your persons via configuration.yaml

So, this means pick ONE way OR the OTHER to manage your persons. Not both.

that does itā€¦

so since I have a lot, and I there will be more coming in the next months of MQTT devices I think IĀ“ll stick to YAML for nowā€¦ im getting in love with this Home Assistant Hub, and as I see it was a Misunderstanding from my side, sorry, and now the question, showld I rollback that change that I made on the file and try the Solution again on the YAML?

I prefer to do as much as I can from the UI for one reason, and one reason only:

I donā€™t have to restart Home Assistant for my changes to take effect. If I managed my persons from YAML, every time I wanted to change a device associated with a person, I would have to restart HA. Screw that noise.

My solution was:

Go to Configuration > Companion app > find sensor section and enable all menu options related to location/position. After that, I restarted HA and finally I can see Person tracked correctly in Home/away location :slight_smile: