pfSense Integration

I was hoping you’d say that…I kinda thought so, but thanks for confirming.
Now I just need to find some hardware to run pfsense on…chip shortage and all…things are super expensive right now.

thanks

Hi all,

I’m using HASS 2022.3.8 and have just added the pfSense repo via HACS. I’ve restarted. But when I goto into “Add Integration”, there is no “pfSense” option. Did I miss a step?

Cheers,
Zolt

1 Like

Ok, all good now, turns out HACS doesn’t work with IPv6…

I think I’m in the same boat here. I have HASS 2022.3.6 and I have added the pfSense repo to HACS. I restarted multiple times and there’s still no “pfSense” option in “Add Integration”. Has anyone with a newer installation of HASS been able to add this? Would really like to get presence detection setup with my pfSense router since we have a bunch of iOS devices in the house…

Thanks!

Chris

How did you determine that IPv6 was the problem? Were you able to work around the issue?

But this option doesn’t seem to work well with iOS devices… Would you care to give us iOS users another option?

In the HASS logs there were errors saying it couldn’t connect to github to download the integration. I googled the error and people mentioned turning off IPv6 in HASS, and that worked…

What doesn’t work with ios?

I don’t think it is related to this integration. Sorry for leading it off topic…
When someone said they only wanted to use this integration as a device tracker and couldn’t make it work with a non admin account I suggested trying the nmap tracker for use as a device tracker.
cmorrow then said it (I’m assuming nmap, but not sure) doesn’t work well with iphones.

I don’t do the fruit company so I can’t help from experience, but I’m sure your favorite search engine can help with turning off the private address on your wifi network or setting a static IP on your iphone for your home wifi network. If those things don’t work maybe the official homeassistant iphone app.

Ah ok.

The integration works great with ios devices. There are a lot of misconceptions about the private address feature…in short the feature doesn’t impact device trackers (including the one from this integration). The mac remains the same for the same ssid.

Hi, just wondering about this, would it be possible to create wifi-client based counter where it only counts the active client only?
I’m currently doing it with mikrotik + unifi for public place, but i get alot of false positive from people who are connecting but not logged in, i hope that makes sense. And thus messing up the automation… Any idea if this is possible under pfsense?

1 Like

in the meantime is there maybe a solution about that? Just only get the information from PFsense to the HA, just only read permissions like this?

I have 2.4 and 5 GHz networks at home, I use different SSIDs for convenience.
After learning in this thread that the iPhone MAC address changes when different SSIDs are used, I verified that my iPhone indeed have a MAC address for each of my two SSIDs (the 2.4 and the 5 GHz ones). This means that to detect home presence based on iPhone being at home one needs to track two MAC addresses if the home has two SSIDs and the phone is accessing both.

If you turn off “Private WiFi Address” for both networks, I would think you should have the same MAC address across networks.

1 Like

It may be possible yeah. I’d have to look at what methods are available to list wifi clients etc. I don’t check this forum often so github issues/discussions is a better place to shout out and discuss further.

Helly guys,
after updating to 2022.7 the integration doesn’t work.
Each Entity is unavailable.
I tried to delete the integration and re-add it - unfortunately without any success.
In pfsense I didn’t change any setting, so I do not know how to fix the issue or to find the reason of this problem.
I hope, anyone can help me.
Best regards, Bany

I’m on 2022.7 and it is still working for me. I did notice some of the entities stopped working (like Firmware status), because it became a different entity, but the old one was still present…

@Bany update to the latest release (v0.5.6 atm) and it should be fixed (along with several other improvements).

Yes I did remove the old binary sensor and replaced it with the new update entity which allows you to trigger an update right from the hass ui :slight_smile:

@travisghansen. Firstly, thanks for the great integration!

I’m toggling firewall rules to manage kids device usage and don’t want to get into a parental debate but suffice to say - it needs to drop existing connections immediately. So after toggling the rule, looks like it then needs to kill specific connections (or reset the whole states table if I have to).

From pfSense Integration - #47 by markfrancisonly it looks like @markfrancisonly added this feature already (see services below) but maybe its not included yet.

service: pfsense.reset_state_table
data:
  entity_id: binary_sensor.pfsense_localdomain_pending_notices_present 

service: pfsense.kill_states
data:
  entity_id: binary_sensor.pfsense_localdomain_pending_notices_present
  source: "0.0.0.0/0"
  destination: "192.168.0.1/24"

Sorry for my ignorance but will this be added to the main build or do we need to install from https://github.com/markfrancisonly/ha-pfsense instead?