Philips Hue Reset - New IP

I recently changed my entire home network, changing subnet/IP addresses for all my IoT devices. It’s a pain but needed to be done. That said, my Hue bridge (discovered) is now unavailable in HA. I don’t see an obvious file with settings or a way to “reset” the integration without losing my setup. The bridge and lights and switches all work fine on their on. I see the device on my router and and have assigned a static IP. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Slightly different scenario, but may work for you. I have a garage door controller and use the MyQ integration. The controller was originally allocated 192.168.20.29. I have a Bravia TV and use the Bravia integration. It was allocated 192.168.20.6

I didn’t assign these as static IP addresses and after a router restart they were assigned different. I got the dreaded “unavailable” on both of these. I had not written down the original IP addresses, but luckily, I did remember that x.x.20.6 was allocated to the TV originally. I went into the network settings of the TV and, sure enough, the assignment was different. From there I went into my router, kicked out the item that had been assigned x.x.20.6 and set up a static IP for that address, linking it to the MAC address of the TV. Restart router, restart HA and Boom! TV integration working again.

Armed with that knowledge I set about painstakingly allocating a static IP address to garage door controller until I jagged x.x.20.29 and got that working again as well.

Lessons from this? Some devices are IP address dependent. When in doubt, set static IP addresses for devices that may require it. Store all configuration details for later use (I now keep a spreadsheet of all configurations of all devices.)

This may be something for you to try in your situation.

I faced the same issue today and after some research, I solved it by editing the IP address of the Hue Bridge directly in config/.storage/core.config_entries. The new IP address of the bridge was picked up after restarting the server and all my Hue entities became available again.

I haven’t noticed any side effects to this quick and dirty hack so far (a few hours after the edit).

Remember to shut down the HA instance before editing the file to prevent any editing conflicts.

8 Likes

In config/, I do not see a /.storage folder.

Hoping the find some details on how to fix my Hue integration as I had to do a factor reset on my router.

Thanks!

Do it via samba and go to the folders

This folder is hidden by default.

If you access your server via a terminal you need to use the command $ ls -la. If you access it via a UI, you’ll need to find out how to show hidden items.

Thanks! That did the trick…unfortunately I missed jay_p’s last line of advice on shutting down the instance…so…waiting to see if there are any unintended consequences :slight_smile: But for now, got my integration working.

Just had the same problem and added my bridge to early before asigning a static IP to it. What I did was just add Hue again through the integrations. It wil find the bridge on the new IP. I had nothing set up in HA for it, so I don’t know what happens if you already have lot of things created.

Hi all,

Got the exact same problem here (new ip, and not finding the bridge by using the wizard).
Installed Samba and opened the file in de .storage folder.
But nothing there with a reference to the hue bridge. So can’t change the ip-adres.

I don’t know the old ipadres, otherwise i could try that…

Anyone more ideas??

Thanks in advance!