Philips Hue will force users to upload their data to Hue cloud

They can for sure get around that by burying a “local Matter setup” option deep in the apps settings so no-one finds that but it’s there

In an ideal world I wouldn’t even need the Hue app, I should be able to setup everything using any other “Matter-app” out there. Not sure if that is also part of what Matter wants to do.

It should be like that for devices that have a Matter pairing code, but Hue Bridges don’t have such a physical code, thus locking Matter behind the account is easy for Signify

Funny how they want to turn this into a “benefit”.
Our local electrical utility has offered us free* Honeywell Thermostats.

*The catch? The utility can raise our A/C temperature in the summer to “reduce demand”. And we won’t know it until we start sweating. Set it to 75° and a couple of minutes later the utility will reset it to 80°.

No cloud sh** here. Never.

2 Likes

That’s becoming more common in the US, we have that here in Colorado as well but they give you a Nest or a Honeywell for the job. At least you have the chance to opt-in for it so you are fully aware of the downside before you pull the trigger.

In the end I think that locking the “latest and greatest” feature of Matter behind some sort of paywall or privacy relinquishment is why they are doing this. Like so many companies with products are doing these days, they want that monthly revenue rather than the billions in sales being enough. Car companies, who are slowly reversing this due to massive blowback, have been charging a monthly fee for the privilege of using Apple CarPlay or even seat heaters, you stop paying and you stop having a warm caboose on cold days. Subscription fatigue is real but companies who were slow to adopt this idiotic subscription model in the early days are trying to bring that to market now when people are already sick of it. Remember “cutting the cord” for cable? That’s now a thing for all these streaming services that cost you many times more than cable ever did and people are cancelling recurring subscriptions rapidly now.

In any case, Hue is obviously greedy - they either want a paywall, they want to charge for Matter or they want to sell your data - all of these just say “go local” and be done with Hue’s hubs (which I bet go away with proprietary tech soon).

By the looks if it you can be also matter certified and have all features of a device only in the manufactures (cloud) app :man_shrugging:

Feature Comparison Table

MINIR4M uses Matter as its connectivity standard, however, it doesn’t mean that all platforms will have the same features. Let’s take a look at the summary table provided by SONOFF to understand the differences when using MINIR4M on different Smart Home platforms. […]

Review of the first Matter device by SONOFF - MINI Extreme Wi-Fi Smart Switch (MINIR4M) - CNX Software

They said they want to do it better this time and repeat old mistakes again :put_litter_in_its_place:

For what it’s worth, I regularly get OTA updates for my Philips lights through Zigbee2mqtt.

As long as they are committed to continuing to provide these — and to Zigbee in general (or Matter in the future), I’m happy enough.

I really hope that remains true, though, because in my experience these bulbs have the best spectrum coverage as white-light, and the best RGB too (a lot of others really, really fail at making a nice orange, never mind anything like giving results similar to what one would expect from traditional sRGB monitor colors). And they are more reliable than any other brand I’ve found.

5 Likes

Yes, I settled on hue/wiz lights because of this reason. Went with Hue because I don’t want wifi (with wiz). Both brands are made by silicon labs and they really do have the best color range. Especially orange. All other brands tended to make orange look like soft white.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Hue bulbs are the best color bulbs on the market IMHO and some of the better white bulbs too. I am not going to stop using Hue, just their hub is blocked from the Internet for now with the Zigbee migration on my schedule.

3 Likes

Yes, hue bulbs are the only ones with a full rgb spectrum, but they are really expensive (especially gu10 and e14 ones) my fallback atm is ledvance, their E27 bulbs are very cheap (currently 13€ on amazon) and they have a decent spectrum

might not be the correct place for this but couple of questions regarding migration to ZHA before I even start to consider it:
Are there any restrictions/limitations to the number of lights you can pair to a ZHA network compared to the 50 max for a Hue hub?
Do hue lamps act as routers on a zigbee mesh?

1. There is not a general “hard” limit on how many devices a ZHA mesh can have, but most coordinators only support ~32 direct child devices, which are devices directly connected to the coordinator, e.g not over a router, and each router is then able to have multiple sub-devices connected to it.
  2. Yes, Hue bulbs act as routers and work really well in ZHA
2 Likes

Hey Hypfer, I really like this, thank you!
I am trying it but when I apply a preset, it only switch to the first color and then stay on thet color, not moving across different colors, am I doing something wrong ?

I believe you need to set transition seconds, that’s what I did and it works fine.

How much did you set as transition time?

I’ve updated my AppStore review for the official Hue app to 1 star, given these changes. As soon as the bridge stops working without Internet access, it will go into e-waste. What a shame…

1 Like

Sorry @Simone77 I didn’t see this earlier. I think I had mine testing at 5.

The issue for me is that I know what I’m getting into with Facebook, iCloud, etc. Hue is relying on customers not wanting to lose access to expensive hardware. Nice home automation you have there, it would be horrible if something happened to it.

It’s the extortion aspect that makes me angry. That, and they lie and say it is about security, when in fact it is about data collection. As others have said, it will likely be less secure once the add new data collection features.

5 Likes

Im really on the fence here with this one from a functionality point of view.

On one hand, I really really dont like the whole “change functionality after purchase” thing that Hue are doing. I really like the fact that it’s offline and I dont need an account. And happy in this respect to move everything to ZHA and get rid of the hub.

However, we are big hue and apple users here and using the hub to show the light devices in the Home app is very handy. If HA goes offline (which it has done when I was traveling once), the wife can continue to turn lights on and off via the Home app. This was a big plus.

Interested if anyone else has the same thoughts here.

1 Like

Kind of the reason I am using Z2M, as it is decoupled from Home Assistant.

If HA goes down (never really happens to me though), or I got to restart the instance because I am tinkering/updating etc., then Z2M just soldiers on.

The reasons I could see compels users to use the bridge, is features like dynamic scenes, support for HDMI sync box etc.
The first should be solvable just through a custom component (and some effort has been made), but the second requires a hardware solution that is built upon open source software.

Hyperion exists, but it’s anything but user friendly to setup, compared to the Hue equivalent.