Philips Tap Dial Switch with double tap and 4 dial actions

Correct! You also need to make sure the max value of your counter helper is increased (double press =4 now, so counter max needs to at least be that.

Let me know if you aren’t able to figure that part out and I will upload some yaml code you can reference. Might not be until next week though when I have a chance to sit down and strip out my personal information from the script.

It’s interesting that you’re having the same issue with me on this! Frustrating that I can’t find a fix, but at least it works now!

1 Like

all good - that was sufficient! thanks all!

Does anyone know if there exists a simpler version of this blueprint without all the complexities about which button was pressed before?

Hi, I just installed the Z2M blueprint, great work! For the rotations I am currently using increase_brightness and decrease_brightness. Increments are quite large and discontinuous. Anyone has a good solution to have a smooth increase and decrease of brightness? Thank you!

An upgrade request. Regardless of the last button press, I’d like to always use wheel to increase/decrease the brightness in the room.

It would be nice if there is an option for “rotation clockwise” and “rotation counter clockwise”, that is executed for all 4 buttons, together with specific button_x_rotate_counter_clockwise operation.

This way we can have actions dedicated to specific button (current implementation) and generic ones, that are always executed.

The only way to achieve this today is by copy-pasting the same code for all 4 buttons.

Good suggestion, we will review this.

Note that since 2024.07 it is possible to take control over the blueprint, which basically means you can convert it back into an automation.

By doing so, you can remove the conditions of the rotary triggered options and reduce it to only 1 (generic) option

Edit: just reading your post a bit better… you would like to have both options available… interesting, let us tinker a bit on this

Yes correct.

Essentially, logic would be something similar to:

# tasks linked to button
switch (button_pressed):
    case btn1: actions_rotate_btn_1();
    case btn2: actions_rotate_btn_2();
    case btn3: actions_rotate_btn_3();
    case btn4: actions_rotate_btn_4();

# And finally actions regardless of the button
# these are always executed
actions_rotate_btn();

Ah, apologies, that is even another option compared to what I had in mind…

But this is a quite specific need, for which I don’t think it adds to put it in a generic blueprint.
My suggestion would still be that you convert the blueprint back into an automation.

Then, in the default actions section, between “call a service ‘counter: Reset’ on templated entities” and “Choose between 16 actions” add a new action which follows:

If-Then logic

• Condition : triggered by ‘rotation’
  • Action: Whatever action you always want to happen

this way, the automation will process this before it will follow the button specific action. You can also put the action after the ‘Choose between 16 actions’ for it to execute after the rotary action of the specific button.

Be aware: You need to put this OUTSIDE of the choose, otherwise, it will not trigger both the generic rotation action and the button specific rotation action

Hi,

I have just received my tap dial and i want to use this blueprint but i cant get it to work.
I have used the same names for the helpers en have tried in mqtt to turn of the legency attributes and the legency triggers but stil it doesnt work.

I dont now what i am doing wrong.
Can someone mayby help me?
In the picture is a screenshot of my bleuprint with only on the first button a test light near my pc

You entered the entity name instead of the MQTT topic. Sensor.whatever_garage is your entity name.

oke and where can i find this topic? Or can you maybe send a screenshot of your automation?

If you remove ‘sensor.’ from that field, the topic should be fixed.

If it still doesn’t work & you want to ensure you have the correct topic, you can get if from the Z2MQTT logs or HA events when pressing any button on the dial, or by using MQTT explorer.

i have it now fixed. i had to remove the sensor. and the _ between wandschakelaar and garage. maybe it is a idea to put a screenshot of this in the manual? i am still a noob so with that picture i had figured it out of my own.

MQTT topic technically comes from the Z2M ecosystem. You can open the device inside Home assistant, settingsDevices and ServicesMQTT integration → your device. There is a MQTT log and shows device name inside MQTT.

No, that would just confuse people even more. Not only are people’s topics named differently because of the device name, they also have different formats.

Some people have spaces in the topic, others use dashes instead or don’t use spaces at all. Hell, some just leave the default Z2M naming so the topic looks like 0x123bda…

For anyone else stumbling across this thread that is using ZHA
I have this running with ZHA using pretty basic automations, example:

alias: Philips hue scroll anit-clockwise
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: zha_event
    event_data:
      device_ieee: 00:17:88:01:0d:d1:e9:21
      unique_id: 00:17:88:01:0d:d1:e9:21:1:0x0008
      device_id: d71b12e98b19273e8815b28f4f99fed0
      endpoint_id: 1
      cluster_id: 8
      command: step_with_on_off
      params:
        step_mode: 1
        transition_time: 4
condition: []
action:
  - device_id: 8a5a01dde8b4c305686183949b8d3fdc
    domain: light
    entity_id: cb60a61c25a0b2a1f73c4ff0d1ab62b8
    type: brightness_decrease
mode: single

I’ve only bothered with single press, not bothered with double press, or press and hold.
Screenshot 2024-08-27 095811