Philips Wiz (not Hue) Bulbs: how can we advocate for an API

Hi there,

Iam new to hassio. I wont get this to work. The integration seems to be perfect for my needs.
I ve installed all but I cant find the Bulbs or the possibility to add them.

Could please anybody be so kind to give me a hint?

Thx a lot

@Sbidy, thanks so much for your work on this! Works great!

Regarding the feature detection, none of my bulbs are detected, and I don’t see any info in the logs beyond the below. I have the below two lights.

https://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/consumer/p/smart-wi-fi-led-floodlight-bulb-e26/046677555610

2020-04-17 23:54:48 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.wiz_light.light] No bulb type can be detected - fall back to full feature
2020-04-17 23:54:48 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.wiz_light.light] No bulb type can be detected - fall back to full feature

@Tiggx, can you show your configuration? Have you looked for messages from wiz_light in the logs?

Hi @kodbuse I cant see anything from wiz in the Log from Homeassistant. U mean this in the Webfrontend, shure?

This is my configuration.yaml

Many thx.

Works great for me!

I’ve this bulb

Finally took some time yesterday to upgrade my HASS setup to python3.8, HA to latest 0.108.5 and the component is working fine without issues. Based on this finally transitioned from the local version to @Sbidy latest version…

Hi,

I have just installed your integration, and so far (with one wrinkle), it is working great. I have 1 x G95 Filament (White/Warm White) Bulb and several B22/E27 RGB bulbs.
I had previously been controlling these via a Wiz plugin in Homebridge.

Your integration is much faster and allows it to work successfully with Siri voice comands via Homekit, so thank you and the other contributors very much for your hard work!

The only wrinkle is that the G95 can only turn on/off and control Brightness. I am getting log messages with: No bulb type can be detected - fall back to full feature
In the Wiz App, I can adjust temperature from 2000k to 4500K, and it has the following modes:

• Simple: Cozy, Relax, Focus & TV Time

• Dynamic: Candlelight, Pulse, Golden White & Steampunk

Output from getSystemConfig is:
{“method”:“getSystemConfig”,“env”:“pro”,“result”:{“mac”:“a8bb509d2755”,“homeId”:79xxxx,“roomId”:12xxxx,“homeLock”:false,“pairingLock”:false,“typeId”:0,“moduleName”:“ESP56_SHTW3_01”,“fwVersion”:“1.18.1”,“groupId”:0,“drvConf”:[20,1]}}(base)

[G95 E27 720lm Filament Bulb](https://www.wizconnected.com/en/consumer/products/g95-filament-whites/)
Hope you can accomodate this one? Cheers, Gerry

@Tiggx,

yaml is very sensitive to correct whitespace, which it doesn’t look like you are using (the three lines under “light:” should be indented by two spaces). I would imagine you HA is complaining about this in the logs and UI.

Hi,

i get this Error when i check Configuration.

Component error: name - Integration ‘name’ not found.
Component error: platform - Integration ‘platform’ not found.
Component error: host - Integration ‘host’ not found.

I think the platform wiz_light is not loaded correct.

I think I ve done everything like sbidy wrote.

@kodbuse
have done what u said. Thx.

Now I get:

Platform error light.wiz_light - Integration ‘wiz_light’ not found.

You have to install the component (see Install for testing) and restart the service via the “Server Control” section in the Options menu. Alternative you can install the integration via the “HACS” (thanks to @danVnest).

In a few days (maybe) we will pull this to the HA core as standard integration.

@bayview252 Hey Gerry,
yes I saw that the bulbs are supporting “some” of the effects. I try to bring this into the next version - but fist I think I have to purchase one for testing because it seems to be a “special” bulb type :smile: .
What “functions” do you see if you turn on one of these G95 bulbs? Is there the color changing wheel?

@kodbuse
Can you please post the bulb config information? You can get this via “nc”:
echo '{"method":"getSystemConfig","params":{}}' | nc -u -w 1 <YOU BULB IP> 38899
Supported bulbs you can find here: https://github.com/sbidy/wiz_light#bulbs - but this matrix my be not complete/correct :wink:

@lensherm
Please have a look into the GitHub page. Fist of all you have to install the “custom_component” to your HASS or HA system. You can also use the HACS platform for that.
A short insatlation and configuration you can find here https://github.com/sbidy/wiz_light#install-for-testing

In general the “WiZ App” has some more capabilities to control the bulbs because it takes advantage of the full feature REST-API. But this API is only Cloud based and (in my opinion) I won’t allow my bulbs to made “calls” to the internet. The wiz_light integration is designed to control “offline bulbs”.

Hi,

thx. In my case it isnt working. (the install)

Ive bought now a Raspberry Pi4 and will retry it with HACs. Thx a lot for ur help.

Hi Stephan, thanks again! I love the local “not-cloud” control, and am not really interested in the fancy modes, but I would like to be able to control the temperature of the whites. So the “colour” is only the temperature from warm white (2000K) to daylight (4500K) so its controls are like an adjustable “Whites” bulb and the colour wheel would just be the shade of the whites, if that makes sense? I could do some sniffing on the network or send some commands if you can suggest some for testing?

I had this bulb running via Homebridge using an integration but I can’t remember whether it allowed control of the temperature. It might offer some pointers? https://github.com/dronenb/homebridge-platform-wiz-simple

Cheers!

1 Like

To get hands on this bulb I ordered one of these. It should reach me in the next days.
I have to create a special feature set for that bulb. It supports adjustable white color temperature and some of the effects.

I the Homebridge config you can set what features you want for the different bulbs. In the wiz_light I want to detect these automatically based on the used ESP.

Great Stephan, I look forward to your progress! Yell out if I can try anything in the meantime :slight_smile:

Hey @Sbidy, thanks for the contribution! I upgraded my lights after the old MQTT integration above stopped working in my setup.

I have been noticing that there is a flickering issue though, looking through your integration code and the python library it seems like this may be tied to the udp floods and timeout values. Is there a way to mitigate the issue by playing with the timeout values?

My RF environment is a bit crazy; I’m in an East coast row home with weird 2.4ghz deadspots and a ton of bluetooth devices so I’m sure many of the UDP packets are being lost on my network. I just turned on debug logging for the component, but it seems to occur when HA queries the light status–I suspect packets are dropped and the UDP flood leads to the flicker.

Side note, I’ve been wondering if using the pub/sub subscription stuff would work around the polling issues, but I’m a javascript developer that hasn’t touched python meaningfully in 10 years :P. It would be an interesting thing to play around with though.

@Sbidy - Sharing the information from my bulbs: https://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/consumer/p/smart-wi-fi-led-bulb-e26/046677555528

{"method":"getSystemConfig","env":"pro","result":{"mac":"zzz","homeId":zzz,"roomId":zzz,"homeLock":false,"pairingLock":false,"typeId":0,"moduleName":"ESP06_SHDW9_01","fwVersion":"1.18.1","groupId":0,"drvConf":[20,1]}}

They support White, Night Light, Candlelight, Pulse, and Steampunk

Also, is it by design to have the bulb status reported every 90 seconds? It’s just filling my log with the “No bulb type can be detected…” message. Finally had to comment it out.

Now I have one of these (obviously relay popular) WiZ filament bulbs :smiley:
I try to bring in these with the effects and the tune able white into the wiz_light.

@zimbo0
Yes, the logging and also the bulb detection should be improved. I’m working on that.

1 Like

The new version is online.
Updates:

• Fixing log message spam - reduced to initialization message
  • Added the WiZ Light Filament bulb with the correct effects and settings
  • Added support for the Philips WiZ Filament bulb with the correct settings

Next:

* Try to reproduce UDP message lost in case of a bad connection (hard to reproduce)
  • I’ll try to understand how the config flow works :wink:

Misc:

• If at the end of next week (1st of Mai) no braking errors are reported, I will start the git-pull to bring in the wiz_light as an standard component to HA.
  • Please create a Issue in the GitHub if something is not working or missing. It will be easier for me or other to manage these better!

Thank you all for your contribution!!

The wiz_light component can be found here: https://github.com/sbidy/wiz_light

1 Like