Phillips Hue Motion Sensor

So I’ve recently noticed that the Apple Home app natively recognizing the inner sensors of the Phillips Hue motion sensor. If I look in the app at all my devices, I can see that the motion sensor is feeding light level data, motion, and even battery levels. I have not yet found a way to integrate this with Home Assistant effectively. I can pass in front of the sensor and the Apple Home app notices that there was motion, but there is no way to use that in an automation, as far as I can tell. I was wondering if anyone has started working on a project for this? If so, I would like to help!

Welcome!

Do you mean like this? Hue motion sensors + remotes: custom component

1 Like

I haven’t tried the hue movement sensor yet, despite having one, but I see this thread:

1 Like

I will try those! Thank you! I hope it comes out as a built in component soon. It’s odd that the Apple Home can detect it with no extra coding.

This is the first tutorial I tried, but I could not get it to work for some reason. I will try it again!

Hi, I am running the latest version of Hassio, I have 2 Hue bridges. Very recently I have noticed that I have sensors and binary sensors showing up in the UI, but always only from 1 bridge or the other. Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason which bridge shows its sensors. I have tried logging in to each bridge in a browser, on my Android phone, and on an ipad. I have also tried not logging in at all, and I mean local log in as well as internet log in for remote access. I know this has something to do with the Hue systrtem only allowing 1 log in device per site. I am looking for a work around and an explanation of how to get a specific bridge’s sensors to register in Hassio. This seems to be a new native feature in Home Assistant, I am not using the known custom component. The sensor devices also show in the Hue integration page.

mine gets a bit weirer. Now, bridge 2 (under the integrations ui) shows the motion detectors from bridge 1, the other sensors (light and temp) show as they should in bridge 1

Home Assistant does indeed support Hue Motion Sensors for Motion (occupancy), Light, Temperature and Battery Level now officially.
@Bacon-Ranch is right in that it only appears to pull them from one bridge under the default settings
Have you got your bridges set manually in configuration.yaml or are you just using auto-discovery?

Unfortunately I can not test this now as I no longer have two bridges set up. I connected all my motion sensors directly via the ZHA component as the Hue integration has a 5 second polling cycle due to the way the API works.

1 Like

This is recently fixed in an update

3 Likes

I have removed my Motion Sensors from ZHA for now and have put them back on the Hue Bridge and putting up with the 5 second polling cycle.
The ZHA component doesn’t seem to fully complete the pairing process with Hue sensors, resulting in the red LED lighting on motion detection, but worse than that a fairly heavy battery draw. I don’t like the 5 second polling cycle, but I cant tolerate the battery draw using ZHA.