Physical Buttons for Home Assistant

His blog is a fascinating read (even for me via google translate).
I didn’t see his kickstarter, so thanks for the info.

It would be just great to have an open zigbee hub/gateway, but I think it will be a big effort to maintain.
All the ZLL and ZHA manufacturers seem hell-bent on non and partial standards support.
Just look at Hue and Ikea lighting… grrrr

In this article he says he’s preparing a Kickstarter campaign:

But honestly without already having his custom pcb tested and ready for mass production it’s unrealistic to already launch a Kickstarter.
When you need to buy component by 5000 to have a complete reel it’s not the same price as the prototype made at home ^^

On a positive note he already got several protocols supported and he’s going to buy some Ikea bulb to also integrate them.

One to watch, for sure.
Just need patience… :slight_smile:

1 Like

the kickstarter for the zigate project is available : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1361563794/zigate-universal-zigbee-gateway-for-smarthome

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. It looks promising.

Out of Reward so i can not back it.

Yes, he is not a professional so he doesn’t want to offer more reward than what he will be able to produce.

He said his design will be open-source/open-hardware so you’ll be able to put one together yourself.

I think he might also propose some after he delivered the kickstarter backer (he spoke about improving the assembly process post-campaign).

I’ll try to work on the integration with hass once I receive it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The design appears to be pretty simple. I’ve asked which zigbee module he has chosen, so I can built the usb / wifi module myself.

Anyone ordered / backed the campaign? Would be great if it would be supported.

Yes I ordered it, the complete one with wifi module (I’ll certainly reprogram it to work through MQTT, depending on how complex the pairing and communication is).

Sure the hardware seems quite straight forward, just a zigbee serial module with a serial to USB or a serial to wifi adapter (an ESP).
I think it’s a JN5168, but he didn’t announce yet which exact module he will be using.
The same as used in the Mesh Bee from seeedstudio

The hardest part for his project was to crack the encryption protocol and to manage the different implementation of the protocol used by different manufacturer (Ikea, Philips, Xiaomi, …).

Thanks for your reply.
I’ve seen they are only about 11 euro’s at Farnell.

Found a nice breakout board for this module as well.

I agree creating a MQTT bridge would be the moest preferable solution, straight forward to intergrate into several automation systems, Node-Red etc.

Lets hope the software / firmware will be shared public by the developer, it would enable me to bypass the ghost motion problem I’m experiencing Xiaomi body sensor gateway maybe wrong motion detection

This is really the problem, ain’t it :frowning:
It really should not be this hard.
Zigbee alliance really missed a trick with their certification scheme IMO…
An approach with mandated interoperability for a given profile (light, sensor, etc) should have been a must.

Yes, and there is also a private encryption key of some sort that only the constructor is suppose to know.
Thankfully it seems that most of them use the default key, that’s how he was able to pair/use the different protocol.

Have you guys checked the Dresden stuff? They have a Raspberry Pi module and a USB stick that works with their (open source) software. It has a REST API, and supports Xiaomi sensors (not sure if all of them).

Have seen this. I’m thinking about ordering the usb stick.
The rpi shield won’t allow you to sniff the packages while the usb stick does.
What I like is the activity on github. They appear to develop quickly, their software even allows you through update firmware of ikea bulbs for example.

The French guy with his zigate delivers a module including wireless functionality so no controller software or rpi is needed. I must admit I like that to…

However it would be great if Dresden would be integrated into HA

Dresden seems to work with the HA Philips Hue component! I’m tempted to order one too. I didn’t knew about the sniffing difference.

I bought those things a few days back: https://www.gearbest.com/living-appliances/pp_443553.html

But doesn’t seem to be recognized by RM-Pro :frowning:

I’ve used a cheap and cheerful option for one button. I’ve already invested in the RFXtrx 433MHz transceiver, and it works with a number of door chimes. I bought a spare bell push for £5, and I’m using that as a light switch toggle.

I have tried the Siemens door bell and it just gives out a number. Every time I use it and on HA it just stays on that number. I also have the RFXtrx 433mhz.

Do you get an entity created in HA? Something like sensor.xxxxxxx_sound?

You might find a blog post I wrote about the doorbells useful - it shows how to take that number, create a device with a more useful friendly name and then have actions triggered when it’s pressed using the signal_received event.

For the light switch, I just use the same sort of trigger with an action that calls service light.toggle on the relevant light.

2 Likes

Thanks

That sorts it out . Nice blog.