Pi3 install error

I already have a raspberry Pi3 that is running a smartmirror and I am trying to add Home Assistant to it. Instead of mounting the image on a separate SD card and separate Pi, I want to use the one I have so I am doing the manual installation.

I’m following these instructions but the install step runs into a problem running setup.py.
"aiohttp 3.x requires Python 3.5.3+"
I installed Python 3.6.0 but I still get this error. I’m very new to programming and need some help. Is there a wrong place to install python?

Also, the last step is to start HA for the first time using $ hass but I don’t know where to run that. I keep getting bash: hass: command not found

Is there a different way I should be doing this? Thanks for your help.

Did you set it up in a virtual environment according to the instructions? If so are you running all these commands in the virtual environment? There should be something like (homeassistant) homeassistant@raspberrypi:/srv/homeassistant $ on the command line when you’re executing these commands. If you run $ hass outside of the virtual environment you’ll get the bash: hass: command not found error.

The other thing to make sure of is that you set up the virtual environment to use the correct version of python. Check this by doing python --version in your venv.

If you haven’t got the correct version of python, its easiest to delete the virtual environment and create a new one. From memory, you specify the version of python to use with the -p option when creating a venv.

1 Like

Thanks for your help!

python --version returned Python 3.4.2
The original install error mentioned aiohttp 3.x requires Python 3.5.3+
This prompted me to install 3.6 on my RPi3 but I think I did outside of the virtual environment in /hom/pi/

Do I delete that virtual environment and update Python? How?

If I look in /srv/homeassistant/lib/ I see folders for python3.4, python3.6, and python-wheels

but is that the virtual environment or something else?

I did this mini guide for someone the other day, and a few people have used it to upgrade their venv…

There’s some troubleshooting a bit further down that thread if you run in to any issues, but it’s a pretty quick process.

Hope this helps.

This is fine. You just then need to create the virtual environment using the version of python you need, in this case 3.6. The instructions from mf_social will do that for you.

To delete your existing virtual environment, just delete the directory.

rm -rf /srv/homeassistant
1 Like

We’re in business! Thanks for all the suggestions.

I followed the instructions from mf_social but I didn’t do any of the _backup stuff because I never got it to install in the first place. I can now access it from ipaddress:8123

Specifying “.6” on python3.6 -m venv . when creating the virtual environment did the trick for me.

Now on to configuration!

1 Like