Ping + Arp custom_component device tracker

when use your component, do i need use ping component or i remove it ?

That does not mean that the router does not drop the connection, internet or no internet

They can live together

it mean I cant remove ping component
Thank your repply, i come from Vietname.
sorry about english

Dont worry, I am spanish !! :wink:

Orange pi zero, network by lan and ipv6 disabled.
My router is tp link c2600 and i donā€™t have any disconnections nor any other issues with it.

Could you please add an aditional device tracker using the same custom component (ping_arp) for your router? Something like this:

device_tracker:

- platform: ping_arp
   count: 5
   consider_home: 30
   hosts:
     iphone: <iphone ip>
     router: <router ip>

and leave it for, lets say 24 hours, and then compare the history of your iphone and your router and check if the not_home moments of your iphone correspond with those of your router.

great idea, iā€™m not home for some days but i will tell you if it worked. thanks

Well I tried with 3 iPhones on a similar router (tp link C3150) and all iphones got their status ā€œnot_homeā€ at the same momentā€¦
So it looks like a router issue indeed. Any idea of what setting to change ?

try to set consider_home: 180 (3 minutes) and go decreasing this value till you get a consistent status

Hey please see this as it may help improve this component

2 Likes

Very interesting. IĀ“ll give it a try asap !!
Thanks a lot @jwelter and good job !!

Hi,

You may want to mention that you need to install ā€œarpā€ otherwise you end up with an error ā€œarp directory not foundā€.

On a Debian (hassbian, ubuntu etc) system it would be something like ā€œsudo apt-get install net-tools nmapā€.

Iā€™ve just installed it and will see how the iOS devices perform over night.

Thanks for the share, much appreciated.

Simon

I set ā€œconsider_homeā€ to 180 but it has no effect, my phone is still not home for 1 minutes, times to times.

What router do you have and what is your iOS version ?
it still donā€™t work for me as consider_home has no effect

Update :
I added my router to the component and it is always online, no disconnection. Whereas my iPhone disconnect times to times.
I made tests in 2 different house with 2 routers, 4 iPhones and 2 different HA system. Same issue. So I guess the bluetooth beacon is the only way to track iPhones.

Your custom_component Ping + Arp worked fine until HA 0.91.4.
From the HA 0.92.0b1 that does not work anymore. I get the following error message under ā€œCheck Configurationā€: ā€œIntegration ping_arp not found when trying to verify its device_tracker platform.ā€
Can you please check that once?

Just need to create an empy file __init__.py and itā€™ll be back working :slight_smile:

1 Like

is a manifest.json file needed?

I would say that it is not necessary

After upgrading to 0.94.0 I am getting

Platform not found: device_tracker.composite 
Platform not found: device_tracker.ping_arp

when doing a configuration check, device trackers are not updated.