PING issues

Ok, I have a PI 3B running on a 500gb ssd HD running HA … Runs great. I have a separate Plex server running on a win10 box. For whatever reason, which I can’t figure out, locks up - a lot. I would like to have HA tell me when that happens. So I setup PING on the HA to watch the win10 box… works great except that when the win10 box locks up it still pings correctly so I never know when it is locked up…
I have the win10 plugged into a tasmoto outlet so I can reset start it from HA which works…
looking for a way to have HA PING? the Plex server and report back good or bad… AND if bad tell outlet to cycle and reboot the win10 box…
I know I should just t/s the win10 box … but come on its win10… god only knows what it is…

I use the win10 as my desktop PC… I really don’t want another PC under the desk…

Thanks for all you do to help dopes let me… :grinning:

Power cycling a running Windows installation like that is a bad idea and will probably only make the system more unstable over time. If the NIC is still up perhaps you could run a remote shut-down/restart utility instead?

But leaving that aside, do you have the Plex integration installed?

Does it have a sensor/entity that becomes unavailable when the Win10 box locks up?

If so, that could be your trigger.

I have a win10 box that runs 24/7 and I don’t think it has ever locked up. It doesn’t have an enormous uptime only because updates require restarts. Windows should be more stable than what you are seeing. Check the system logs for errors, decode them using Google and fix the issue.

Thanks for the reply, Power cycling is the only way to get the win10 box back up unfortunately.
I do have the Plex integration install, NOW :slight_smile: Did it last night… I struggled with the token but finally found a walkthrough that got me there. I have the same idea watching the Plex entity to see if it goes offline… I have an automation to notify me if it does.
I have looked at the event logs on the win10 and cannot find nothing pointing to the issue of a lockup…
If I do get a lockup and HA sees it It will give me a starting point in the logs of the win10 box… I may go a day or so and not use plex or the computer so I don’t when it died…

Thanks for the help

Download memtest and test your RAM.

And try iotlink, it is a nice way to reboot your Win10 box from HA. Can’t guarantee it will work if your win10 box locks up, but since ping still works, some services must still be running.

I run HA on a hyper-v on my W10 machine, alongside plex, hosted on that same machine.
( I also did not want to have too much hardware running, so everything is on that W10)

Also here, very stable W10 and only restarting after a windows update.

Agree it is not a good idea to reset the W10 machine by means of a power cycle; it will eventually only make things worse.
There are ways to make HA tell the W10 to make a restart (which will probably work since machine still responds to LAN (ping))

Maybe this thread is useful?

Just thinking aloud, since PING still works…how about remote-desktop, does that this work?
And what about the cmd line command ‘shutdown’ from another windows machine?

Usage: shutdown [/i | /l | /s | /sg | /r | /g | /a | /p | /h | /e | /o] [/hybrid] [/soft] [/fw] [/f]
    [/m \\computer][/t xxx][/d [p|u:]xx:yy [/c "comment"]]
/r --> Full shutdown and restart the computer.
/m --> computer name or IP address.
/f -->  Force running applications to close without forewarning users.

Thanks for the replies. I have gotten IOT LINK running and will see how it helps out. Hopefully I will be able to setup an automation to watch the pc and just reboot it when it stops responding… If not I will reboot it instead for powering it off. and see if that helps either…
Or I will just reformat the whole thing and start over :crazy_face:

Side note: IOT LINK is very easy to install on win10 and get running on HA…

Thanks again

As a follow up to the OP… PC crashed … HA told me when it crashed… I open the event log… go to that time and…
An app I d/l a long time ago… BACONIT was crashing my PC… Its a REDDIT app…bye-bye baconit…
I hadn’t used it in forever… forgot it was there…

Thanks again