Play a local mp3 file on Alexa Echo dot

Curious if anyone here can help with the converting of the audio files to the amazon required format. I’m trying to use the command provided by the jovo site to do the conversion which is as follows.

ffmpeg -i -ac 2 -codec:a libmp3lame -b:a 48k -ar 24000 <output-file.mp3>

However, it does not seem to be working. If I run a file through the jovo site and then look at it with the file command I get the following.

file iYEHPdGL-fire-dispatch-07-03-2021-09-24-56.mp3
iYEHPdGL-fire-dispatch-07-03-2021-09-24-56.mp3: Audio file with ID3 version 2.4.0, contains:MPEG ADTS, layer III, v2, 48 kbps, 24 kHz, JntStereo

This file will play on the echo using the skill.

However, when I try to convert the same file on my own using the command provided by the jovo site, I get the following output using the file command.

file new_sdr.mp3
new_sdr.mp3: Audio file with ID3 version 2.4.0, contains:MPEG ADTS, layer III, v2, 64 kbps, 24 kHz, Stereo

This file will not play on the echo using the skill. Looking through the documentation I don’t understand why the output of the ffmpeg command is 64kpbs since it should be 48kbps. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

Well that’s annoying! Been trying to get this work with my domain (running letsencrypt) and even tried another one that I found was using cloudflare, and neither worked. Swapped my mp3 code for yours and it worked right away. Wonder what the work around is besides switching certificates…Guess I’ll just have to hose some files 3rd party until I figure something out.

Has anyone ever found a fix for this not working with letsencrypt certs?

Nope, Amazon doesn’t like Letsencrypt, so the only way to get this working is using another CERT.
Cloudflare is free, and works.

1 Like

I have this running every half hour, 12 hours a day, without fail, with LetsEncrypt certs for a few weeks now, but I didn’t change anything from how I had it previously… it just spontaneously started working.

I had the same problem with my Let’s Encrypt certificate… Thank you for that info btw! My solution was to host my mp3 on a Backblaze B2 account. The first 10gb is free and you can get direct link to your file. So far so good! I hope for a better solution in the future but for now it’s good enough.

1 Like

@0xHack Thanks for this… Backblaze is what I decided to use for simplicity. I am using duckdns and not sure when it stop working.

1 Like

I’m using following shell_command with hassOS ffmpeg which generates mp3 playable by Alexa:

ffmpeg -y -i /config/www/source.mp3 -ac 2 -codec:a libmp3lame -b:a 48k -ar 16000 /config/www/out.mp3

Unfortunately isn’t working for me… Echo Dot is working fine through Home Assistant and I can play standard text notifications but i can’t play MP3 files.
I can’t even play the ones converted at the Jovo site.
Every time I try, Alexa is complaining about “Simon Says” Skill… (Of course this skill is also installed and running)
My code:

service: notify.alexa_media
data:
  message: "<audio scr='https://www.jovo.tech/audio/3pjSzfp6-alarm-system-alarm1.mp3'/>"
  target: media_player.alexa_home_asistant
  data:
    type: tts

I also test with two different Echo Dots.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

@MarkWattTech

Having same problem as @rlopez2005. I followed your youtube, can play the mp3 via the url. But when trying the service in developer tools, my alexa says shes having trouble accessing the simon says now skill. I THINK i have the right skill, but searching the skills stores, theres many under that name. Can you show me which one you have?

1 Like

Is anybdy else having a issue with the web page not allowing a audio file to be downloaded after it was uploaded?

I was able to do this a few weeks ago?

any suggestions? maybe a computer setting?

yep, same issue.

same here, had it for a few ways, trying to work out an alternative and simple way of doing it

Here you go: ffmpeg -i -ac 2 -codec:a libmp3lame -b:a 48k -ar 16000 <output-file.mp3>

1 Like

@MarkWattTech

Same issue as @rlopez2005 and @nappyjim. I’ve followed your video, converted the file using Jovo and testing the link in Jovo I can hear the sound but when using notify.alexa_media configuration my echo generates an error.

Just in case it helps, the error says Echo has issues accessing the skill “simon says …” (not able to interprate the last word)

Thanks for your help!

Same problem as @gonzzovela @MarkWattTech @rlopez2005 @nappyjim
I go to the developer tools page and then services and paste my yaml code below and alexa says “Echo has issues accessing the skill “simon says …”

I have been trying to get this to work for two weeks now and still cant fix it.
Any help would be great.

service: notify.alexa_media
data:
  message: "<audio src='https://v3.jovo.tech/audio/A4hQYsHb-alarm2.mp3'/>"
  target: media_player.kyle_s_echo_dot
  data:       
    type: tts

@Kyle_Vidrine @gonzzovela

I ended up figuring my issue out. It was the mp3 file wasnt acceptable. That caused me to get the simon skill alexa error. Once I converted it to amazon standards, it worked.

Same thing on my end. I tried using audacity but that didnt work so i ended up using the jovo audio converter and it worked. Thanks

1 Like

I have the same problem as all the people before me. Unfortunately the jovo audio converter seems not to work. I converted the file many times with the tool and also with ffmpeg using the following syntax
ffmpeg -i <input-file> -ac 2 -codec:a libmp3lame -b:a 48k -ar 24000 -write_xing 0 <output-file>

Unfortunately I get the Simon Says error permanently. Any idea what else I could be doing wrong? On my Sonos Speaker everything works fine…

Regards

same issue here, i am hoping there is a solution to this problem