Please help with Conbee II and Synology NAS

Thank you!

Think I got it. There was a typo in the chmod above (extra space).

So, I’m about to restart NAS. If there is a problem, how do I get back in to delete this file? Not to jinx it or anything but really nervous whenever I do any root stuff and can’t access/delete files via a graphical UI.

Good news - NAS rebooted and HA working

Bad news - using either
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2191790-if00
OR
/dev/ttyACM0
using deconz or ezsp
I get:
Unable to connect to ZHA device

I know the stick works as I could get it functioning with a docker and Phoscon app but then could not get LeakSmart to connect

Only other thing I can think of is somehow playing with the docker container

I use the Fredrike Haaio package but don’t see a way to specify the device in any of the Docker environment variables.

And as far as I know I can’t use docker-compose.yaml to load it either

OMG - I think I figured out the problem and I feel like an utter moron…

I went into the Synology and clicked Info Center after reading something somewhere and was thrilled to see Conbee 2 show up.

I kept clicking through the tabs in Info Center and, when I got to Service, found that my admin user did not have ‘enable’ checked for the Hass.io package.

I checked that, rebooted, started HA and Zigbee appeared without any other interventions…

I AM AN IDIOT. I’m sorry to waste anyone’s time.

IT WORKS!!!

So, for anyone else stuck with trying to get the Conbee II Zigbee Stick paired with any Synology NAS (in my case the DS918+).

1. You must have a USB 2 extension cord/cable. The purpose of this is to ‘convert’ the USB3 port on the NAS to USB2. I am currently using a short (12") one but plan to buy a longer one just to make sure I can extend the signal out further
  2. Turn off the Synology NAS
  3. Use the BACK USB port on the Synology. No idea why but I could not pair when using the front USB - only the back.
  4. Turn on the Synology NAS
  5. In the Synology, go to Control Panel - Info Center. In General tab, you should see USB device - Conbee II - Dresden Elektronik
  6. VERY IMPORTANT - Click on User and select the User that you use for your HA install. Then Click Edit. In Permissions, make sure your HA folder (mine is hass.io) is set for Read/Write and in Applications make sure your HA (mine shows as Hass.io) is set to Allow.
    I’m not sure if this one matters but, click on Service Tab in Info Center and check off ‘Enable’ in the Package - Hass.io if you installed with the Fredrike package (or whatever your HA instance is in that list).
  7. Start HA. Click Configuration and Zigbee should be there automagically. If not, follow the SSH info above to load drivers.

Thank you so much everyone for your help!

2 Likes

great you got it working and thansk for reporting back with your observations.

I’m also using a back USB port (never tried the front one).
But I do have an USB3 extension cable, CablExpert CCP-USB3-AMAF-6 - Verlengkabel, USB 3.0

I’ll see if I can get this in a bit more readable format and post it on my blog.

Hey together,
I have a similar problem, I guess.
I’m running a DS920plus (DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3) with HA (2022.3.8) running in VMM as HAssOs. ConBee 2 Stick with the usb-2.0-cable is plugged in and recognized by NAS and also linked through to VM. I can even see it in HA and I’m able to configure the device via deconz Addon or directly through ZHA integration. But I am just not able to find devices when I’m running a search. Does anyone have any idea? I’m searching for a solution since a week now and have read through many forums. I’m thankful for any hint that solves my issue!

What item do you want to pair? have you started the pair process on the device itself?

I thought DSM 7 removed ability to use Zigbee or Zwave sticks via the USB

Just having a USB 2.0 extension cable does not convert it to USB 2.0 even if it runs at that speed.

To convert a USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 port you need to use a powered USB 2.0 hub.

So that is why recommendation is to use via powered USB 2.0 hub if you do not have a USB 2.0 port.

You should still also use a USB extension cable but it will in most cases actually better to use USB 3.0 extension cable to a USB 2.0 hub/port instead a USB 2.0 extension cable because most thicker USB 3.0 extension cables have better shielding around the cord than the thinner USB 2.0 extension cables