❱ Plex Assistant

Yes that’s right, nothing appears in the dashboard.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anything I can do to add support for that. I don’t own an LG TV to troubleshoot or know what options/settings you have available to you.

Also, for casting to Plex clients and Google devices this project is reliant on external libraries. A quick look through the open and closed issues on the PlexAPI library (used for casting to Plex clients) on Github didn’t bring up anything helpful to your situation other than the fact that you might want to make sure the token you are using is from the server owner and not just a user.

Might also want to try enabling DLNA on the Plex server and turning off IPv6.

1 Like

Any chance your TV is in a restricted part of your network?

1 Like

When I go to the 10.0.0.8:32400 I’m taken to a xml file that has information about my plex server. Is that correct?

I’ve checked the token and its correct

That just tells me that your plex client/server is working. As jjlawren asked, is your TV on a restricted part of your network? Did you try enabling DLNA and turning off IPv6 on your Plex server?

Its not on a restricted part i’ll try your suggestions and report back. Thank you for the quick response

I’ve made the requested changes and still nothing…really odd

Hello @mayker!

Super excited to discover this project. I was disappointed when I saw that Phlex didn’t support remote servers, so your project is really great!

I have the component and the companion set up but unfortunately I can only see Cast clients, no Plex clients.

When I go to /clients I see the following:

<MediaContainer size="0"> </MediaContainer>

I assume this is the reason no clients show up even though I have PMP and the browser open, both with Advertise as Client ticked.
I can play something on my Mac in PMP and see it in the Dashboard on https://remoteip:32400/web/ but no change on /clients.

FYI, https://plex.tv/api/resources?X-Plex-Token=redacted works correctly. I see all clients that I’ve logged in to, with presence=1 for those that are currently open.

Any ideas how I can rectify this?

Is the client on a different subnet or restricted part of your network? Have you tried enabling DLNA or turning off IPv6 on the Plex server?

Unless the Plex server itself reports the client in the /clients endpoint, Plex Assistant won’t see it either.

This thread or this one might also be of interest.

Edit: Sorry, missed the bit about using a remote server, pretty sure the same issues will exist in this project as well. Will look into that a bit more and see if there’s anything I can do to add support (not hopeful as the libraries I use don’t offer support for remote servers). I have never used a remote server myself. Unfortunately, both Phlex/FlexTV haven’t been in working order for quite some time which is why I made this.

OK thanks for the info @mayker :slight_smile: In any case, I was able to play audio from a TV show on one of my GH Minis via Dev Tools so I assume I will be able to do the same via IFTTT and Google Assistant. Which is already more than I could do with Phlex!

I don’t know how it works under the hood, but my assumption is if I can do that, then the mechanism of Remote playing is solid, so it’s just a question of pulling clients connected to the Remote server (perhaps via https://plex.tv/api/resources?X-Plex-Token=redacted ? ).

Thanks again for your hard work.

I’ll look into it more for sure, but it’s important to note that this component doesn’t use media_player entities from HA or the same methods to play Plex to a device as HA would.

May I ask how you accomplished that though? What was the service call and was it just using the media URL?

I’m not looking for it to communicate with devices inside of HA, just with devices recognised as clients by the Plex API. That’s the scope, right?

I just set it up as you specified. With the RemoteIP:Port and Plex token. I saw that no Plex Clients were recognised, but I had a long list of cast-able speakers. So I went into the Dev Tools and said “Play Parks and Recreation on Living Room Speaker”. And it worked. As did stop, pause, etc.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood. You were using Plex Assistant’s service call not a native media_player one. That’s all good news. Will check it out more.

1 Like

Hey, im trying to set this up using dialogflow, so far got everything setup on the dialogflow side but when I get to the:

Section of your instructions, the “Manage Assistant app” button gives this error?

Also the “Set-up Google Assistant Integration” section doesn’t appear to be on the right any more? i found it here under integrations:

DialogFlow is, unfortunately, subject to change at any time since it’s a Google project. Seems like Google’s cloud services are going through a complete redesign.

Okay, so I updated the instructions a bit to fix what has changed. Seems like the URL to get directly to the correct DialogFlow page changed, the integrations section bit has changed as you mentioned, and a few buttons here and there. Updated all in the readme. Other than that, everything is working as it should for me. I don’t know why Google is giving you a generic error when hitting “Manage assistant app”.

If the try again button doesn’t eventually get you there, you might want to literally try again (start over with a new agent and delete the current one).

Got the integration to work, now I’ve gotta work out why it thinks when I test it on my nest devices it says it call that person lol!!?

Test it in the console and it told me the intent isn’t in home assistant yet which is right but I expected the same error from a nest device lol

Oh and FYI i got it to work by clicking the test button before manage assistant app and agreeing to the terms, running a test AND THEN manage assistant app

Good to hear, I added a note about the test button and accepting TOS to the guide. Thank you!

Hello @mayker I’m looking for assistance to have Plex Assistant to recognize my plex client. I’m running HA 115.2 and Plex Assistant 0.3. HA and plex are on separate systems on the same network (HA with Ubuntu 18.04/ Plex server on a NAS and plex client on Odroid under Plex for Kodi). HA recognizes all of these on the Overview screen. I’ve run the plex client for over an hour and requested Google Assistant to have Plex update sensors with acknowledgement that it will, but no joy in having it updated in HA. Using a service call also does not work. Any hints on how to narrow done the problem would be welcome. Thanks.

Inserting your plex token into these URLs (replacing the XXXXXX):

If you go to here in a browser does it show the client (replacing the address with your plex server’s address of course):

http://192.168.1.2:32400/clients?X-Plex-Token=XXXXXX

If you go here does it show the client:

https://plex.tv/api/resources?X-Plex-Token=XXXXXX

Also, try turning off IPV6 if it is turned on in your plex server’s network settings and clients must be open to be seen or sent commands.