Plot baby weight

Hello all,

Anyone know if it is possible to input a number (a baby weight) from the interface and then plot the values superimposed over the WHO percentiles data for babies?

I have a newborn and at the moment I record this data in a text file and then plot it with another program. But I was wondering if it was possible to do it with homeassistant because… you know… cool stuff with automations!

Yes (but)… a.o. apexcharts allows to combine different sources and you can apply an offset wrt to the date (=age)
Question is: where do you get the WHO data or how are you planning to put this in.
Plotly graph allows free-format stuff too.

i have downloaded the WHO data in excel format and then put it in a tab separated format. i am using mathematica at moment to plot this.

so is there a plotly addon for ha?

Plotly interactive Graph Card - Share your Projects! / Dashboards & Frontend - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I am not sure if either plotly or apex can use filedata, never tried or looked.If not then the alternative i to try and put this data into a sensor with applicable attributes

You can input weight, but you need to take into account that the recorder is meant for short term data mostly. long term statistics is possible, but you need to make sure you do it right. Combining other datasources is not that easy. Maybe if you can put it all in influxdb you could.

But using excel is way more logical and convenient. this slow changing data with manual input is not useful for any automations I can think of. They will only fire when you enter data. Maybe if you really want to do something with automation, look for spreadsheet integrations?

BTW, comparing your beloved child to average every day is not healthy for parents. :wink: Simply enjoy and check health every few months.

1 Like

indeed…any spreadsheet…changing errors in statistics data in HA will be via the db only

With the plotly graph card you can use a lambda to enter arbitrary data:

Yep…that I knew but I believe it does not allow reading from other sources (files)?.
Influx and/or Grafana is a good solution too, can use files as input and display it as a panel in HA

No, you could just paste the json there, or fetch it in JavaScript though (lambdas are JavaScript)

Did not know that as you noticed… any examples that you may share?

Arbitrary data is above. For fetching i have no example, but it would need to be a synchronous request.
I haven’t used external data storage yet, but you may want to consider making a feature request. Another contribuitor may take it :slight_smile:

So it is feasible but not (yet) available…or not known to be working, that is OK for me too, just wanting to know the options. I had 3 external sources in the past and the only option was to read into attributes …also works but not as nice and a bit ‘static’ :slight_smile:

thank you for all the info! I agree that checking weight too often is not healthy for the parents! This was just a thought I had because at the moment I am just writing the weights in a dat file which I import in mathematica and then plot to see where we are.

It would have been nice to do this in HA so that I can show the plot from my phone when we go to the doctor for a checkup. Obviously this and my current mathematica method is overkill!

Did you consider gsheet or any online spreadsheet?
TBH I’m also the kind that wants everything in HA, but it looks like you have an actual use case for the data