Plugwise core and custom_component

Ok thanks for trying, I guess there is something going on that us Plugwise code-owners don’t know yet.
Are you using Plugwise-beta (via HACS) or the HA Plugwise integration?

I used the Beta previously and switched to the internal integration. I will try some more when I get home (see if it happens on both integrations etc) and will raise an issue with all additional (debug) info. Do you have a preference on where to raise the issue (core/beta)?

Yes, that was the intent of my question. Best to raise an Issue in the HA Core github then.
So please create an Issue there and then we’ll continue our communication there.

Small update; the values I saw in my graphs that were supposed to come from Anna (climate.anna), were the values that the Plugwise app showed for the ‘living room’ zone where it was located previously. The living room zone only had one Tom in it left (which had different measurements in climate.tom_living_room ).

I’ve removed the Tom from the living room zone, removed the living room zone as a whole and created a new living room zone and placed the Tom back into this new zone. It now works → I therefore think it is an issue on the Plugwise side rather than an issue on the integration side.

I can’t reproduce the issue anymore now, but now you know how it can be solved :slight_smile:

Nice to read that you have solved it :slight_smile:

Yes, I suspected the problem to be on the Plugwise side, I would have asked you to take the raw xml-data from your Adam, so we would know how to distinguish a connected Anna from a disconnected Anna.
But your action resulted in some extra “cleaning” of the raw xml-data, solving your problem in the process :slight_smile:, good to know!

1 Like

RELEASE Plugwise-beta v0.43.0

In this release the behavior for the Plugwise Adam has changed: a hvac_mode OFF has been added.
This mode means that the heating or cooling function has been switched off, the domestic-hot-water-heating, when present, is still working.
On the HA climate-card there is an additional Off-icon shown, next to the Heating-/Cooling icon(s) and optionally the Schedule icon.
Now you can click on these icons to change the mode of your heating system.

Please test this new feature and provide us with your feedback, thanks!

For Google Home users, the climate control will be improved: you will be able to click on the Power-icon in the thermostat-page and then you will be able to switch between modes. Please note, you can select auto-mode (= schedule mode) but there is nothing to change on that view.

1 Like

not sure if posted before (did check up last posts, none found):

when using a thermostat card in dashboard, there seems so be miscommunication between HA and the Plugwise thermostat , as reflected in the app.

the + and - buttons work ok, and setting that is sent to the device and also seen in the app shortly after that.

the circle slider however is lagged terribly, and seems to go back to where it originally was before picking it up. after some time it then jumps to the setting one had tried to set before, but very inaccurately, because the initial slide was so unsuccessful

even worse is the usecase when controlling from the Plugwise app: setting a preset simply is not sent to the HA integration or card, meaning we can set to away in the app, but HA does nothing. even remains heating if it already was, so probably even overriding the actual Plugwise app itself…?

the + and - buttons in the app are correctly pulled in into the HA integration.

All in all, rather unreliably currently, using HA 2023.11.3 4.4.1 versie in the App

to be sure the integration listens to App changes I have set

but as described above that doesnt work for the home/away/holiday etc presets

@Mariusthvdb This is all caused on one hand by the Plugwise device sometimes responding slowly and on the other by HA not waiting long enough due to this setting in coordinator.py: cooldown=1.5.
When HA “misses” an update due to this, it takes another 60 seconds (default update interval time) before a change (e.g. made in the Plugwise App) becomes visible (in HA).

In plugwise-beta, I have the cooldown time set to 5 seconds and sometimes I still have to wait until a next refresh (30 secs, that is my update-interval setting) before a change becomes visible.

I myself don’t use the HA Climate card very much, I prefer the Simple Thermostat card set up specifically for my system. On that card I can see the result of all the changes I make in the Plugwise app, including the preset-changes, after waiting for max 30 seconds. But most of the time within 5 seconds.

yes, I can confirm it is not only the Plugwise having trouble. I have 3 Mill heaters where the thermostat card doesnt behave properly on either…
the new and shiny more-info is even worse somehow.

using a

type: entities
    entities:
      - climate.[[id]]

card would seem to be the most ‘raw’ or ‘core’ possible, and even that changes only after a long wait on those presets.
As I noticed some odd behavior (heater starting t heat while I set preset to away) I wonder which control is the Master at what time. Given there is the big lag, this can be very important. Asking because when the heater started heating the Plugwise app still remained in away mode, and didnt get overridden by the HA interface…

Ill give the simple thermostat card another go, but given the fact it uses the same data as the core climate entity above, I can not see why that would make any difference?

Heaters need to be 100% reliably controlled, so finding the best interface here is very important…

would be a letdown if that meant to do away with the HA integration, and solely use the App

The HA Plugwise Integration is not actively controlling anything, that all happens in the Plugwise device software. The Plugwise integration mirrors the information shown in the Plugwise App, with a delay, as described above.

Also the Plugwise integration can change some settings: various setpoints, schedule on/off, preset, change schedule, etc. With these you can only change the heating-behavior indirectly, the Plugwise device software is always “in charge”.

There could be one or more bugs in HA Core Plugwise, it’s running behind compared to Plugwise-beta, we know there is at least one: not be able to turn off a schedule.

About a heater turning on unexpectedly, I have an electrical heater in the bathroom controlled via a Plug, I’ve seen some unexpected heating going during the night some time ago, while the room temp was far above the setpoint. I haven’t seen that happen lately after the most recent firmware update so I’m thinking that was caused by a bug in the Pluwise firmware.

this good to hear, maybe I was still witnessing the missed change delay waiting for the next update.

to confirm: we no longer have a ‘preset’ entity or selector created by the integration?

only seeing a select for scheme :

meaning if we want to change ‘preset’ we need to go to more-info on the entity and change there?
I used to have a template sensor for the preset, but took it out. Given these delays, I might be good to reinstall it, to see when the actual change kicks in

preset_modes: no_frost, vacation, away, asleep, home

a select for these would be nice…

Yes correct, changing the preset is hidden behind the 3 vertical dots.
Also a reason why I switched to the Simple Thermostat card, I have set it up to show the available presets with the active one indicated.

A Select would be double so I think Frenck would object…

what would it double? there is none now? and we need to go into more-info, which is not very user friendly imho…
forcing us to go to a custom card, or manual create a helper and an automation

- id: verwarming_voorkamer_preset
    trigger:
      platform: state
      entity_id: input_select.voorkamer_preset
    action:
      service: climate.set_preset_mode
      data:
        preset_mode: >
          {{trigger.to_state.state|slugify}}
      target:
        entity_id: climate.voorkamer

would be better in core, as then the translations would be taken into account I guess?

Probably quite easy to add, no changes in the backend needed I think, I’ll consider it :slight_smile:

1 Like

reinstating my simple thermostat, how did you get the presets to be listed correctly:

control:
#  _names: false
  hvac:
    'heat':
      name: Verwarmen
    'auto':
      name: Auto
  preset:
    'home':
      name: Thuis
      icon: mdi:home-circle
    'asleep':
      name: Nacht
      icon: mdi:bed
    'away':
      name: Afwezig
      icon: mdi:clock-alert-outline
    'vacation':
      name: Vakantie
      icon: mdi:beach
    'no_frost':
      name: Anti-Vorst
      icon: mdi:snowflake-alert

gives me

not sure how ‘Werking’ shows up there, but the ui.card.climate.preset_mode is the obvious issue…

I will send you my settings when I’m home, tonight.
Also, check the related topic on Community, this was addressed recently if I remember correctly.

1 Like

found it:

control:
  preset:
    _name: Preset

just realized the new more-info is using decimals precision 0.1 and our Plugwise thermostat is using 0.5

remember we discussed that during the betas. seems it makes the current more-info interface really useless because it constantly toggles back while sliding/holding (it hasn’t set a new point yet with a release, so the interface is utterly confusing)

this is probably a frontend issue, and no Plugwise issue at all.

as the ± buttons also go per 0.1 this seems not to be recognized by the Plugwise, and since it takes a bit no matter what, we can click what we want, but nothing changes…

Nov-21-2023 09-18-34

Could it be browser-related? I just tried this on my tablet and I don’t see any jumping-back happen.
This is with Plugwise-beta, latest version, with the cooldown parameter set to 5 seconds. On my Android-tablet while at the office.

I could make a PR to increase this setting in Core. But then I’ll need your help to get this past Frenck :slight_smile:

1 Like